Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jjimbojames
    commented on 's reply
    Absolutely - but that’s the lines her camp are pushing. Fair enough, she’s in damage control mode - but USTAF need to be better than that

• LuckySpikes
    commented on 's reply
    That weed is legal in Oregon is a red herring. There are many drugs on the WADA Prohibited List (probably the majority?) which are legal for non-sporting citizens to buy over the counter or be prescribed.

• jjimbojames
    replied
    Picking someone who theoretically didn’t compete at the Trials would set a massive precedent and make it clear it’s because they want her in the relay team. I don’t want to hear USTAF start mentioning her “birth mother” as the cause, or that weed is legal in some states is relevant to this - they need to say it’s about a medal or don’t include her.

Leave a comment:

• Grassmarket
    replied
    Originally posted by jjimbojames View Post
    The cynical would say she’s finally listening to her PR people and has adjusted her messaging - would she have done so without the ban? Who knows, but the radical change in persona is either good spin or she’s been truly humbled by this. Admitting blame, even if doing so by adding caveats for the man on the street to latch onto and shift focus, is still better than the likes of Rollins and Gatlin, blaming others etc
    There is for sure a lobbying operation going on to get het reinstated.

Leave a comment:

• Sovietvest
    replied
    Originally posted by marra View Post

I sometimes argue that Americans, as a collective, are probably less cynical and sarcastic than their European counterparts. But that's about it. And even that isn't true of all.

Most people on each side of the pond are pretty much the same. The same concerns, the same desires from life, the same faults. You say about Farah/Wiggins but I bet if you ask 90% of Joe Bloggs about them, they'll probably say they are Olympic heroes. We here, as sports obsessives, are not a real reflection of what the country as a whole thinks/cares about. They tune in and support "Team GB" every 4 years. They don't care on a day to day basis. The same is true in the States.

Stereotypes, whilst having some small elements of truth at heart, are not an accurate reflection of any country. We probably all would/do bristle at the stereotypes people in the States have about us and think that is just Hollywood/media exagerating things. The same is true in reverse.
    Your points are well made, Marra and maybe I am unfair to Americans (none of us are immune from unconscious bias). Apologies for any offence caused.

Leave a comment:

• marra
    commented on 's reply
    I'd happily stay on topic but when you have people unnecessarily character assassinating an entire nation based on nothing more than what they read on twitter, I think it is perfectly reasonable to offer a counter to that.

• jjimbojames
    replied
    The cynical would say she’s finally listening to her PR people and has adjusted her messaging - would she have done so without the ban? Who knows, but the radical change in persona is either good spin or she’s been truly humbled by this. Admitting blame, even if doing so by adding caveats for the man on the street to latch onto and shift focus, is still better than the likes of Rollins and Gatlin, blaming others etc

Leave a comment:

• Occasional Hope
    replied
    If we can get back to the original post, I will say that Sha’Carri has responded with more maturity than I would have expected from her graceless demeanour earlier in the season, so I commend her for that. She has every prospect of triumphing at her home world championships next year.

Leave a comment:

• philipo
    replied

I sometimes argue that Americans, as a collective, are probably less cynical and sarcastic than their European counterparts. But that's about it. And even that isn't true of all.

Most people on each side of the pond are pretty much the same. The same concerns, the same desires from life, the same faults. You say about Farah/Wiggins but I bet if you ask 90% of Joe Bloggs about them, they'll probably say they are Olympic heroes. We here, as sports obsessives, are not a real reflection of what the country as a whole thinks/cares about. They tune in and support "Team GB" every 4 years. They don't care on a day to day basis. The same is true in the States.

Stereotypes, whilst having some small elements of truth at heart, are not an accurate reflection of any country. We probably all would/do bristle at the stereotypes people in the States have about us and think that is just Hollywood/media exagerating things. The same is true in reverse.
    I am sorely tempted to give a long reply but i will not. Stereotypes you mention; What all 70 million of them who voted for the madman..Your comments are far too thin and glossy about Americans. But i must resist further comments.
    Incidentally every society has good, hard working, honest, people with integrity and so has USA. You miss the point; they are probably many less cynical than us... thats the problem; naivety .Swallowers of myths and misinformation.

I know, having lectured on American history, there are copious reasons why they are what they are across the pond.!!!

Leave a comment:

• philipo
    replied
    As someone who lives in the States now, I can hand on heart say that they are no better or worse, no more arrogant or whatever, than any other group of people I've spent time around. There are idiots there, of course, but there are in literally every country. Some of the views being espoused about them here are no better than the views they are criticising about Americans and certainly nothing that reflects well on the UK.
    Sad to say, when i read on my phone my CNN app which i do every day, the country utterly horrifies with what i read.I have made many specific points but no need to repeat them.
    By the way i noted that Biden was asked his views on Richardson and he said simply The Rules are the Rules. Good point.

Leave a comment:

• marra
    replied
    Originally posted by Sovietvest View Post

I honestly believe there is a difference between our cultures - in some ways better in some ways worse. Compare the treatment of Chambers and Gatlin in the respective countries (and you could argue the US attitude was better). Look at how we try to knock anyone who gets success - Farah and Wiggins for example. Imagine how sooner we'd have gone after Armstrong. Even this week look at the stick Eilish McColgan got - never would have happened in the US. The flipside to the greater ambition and pride felt by the Americans are the traits I described in my earlier post.

Americans see a guy living in a big house and say: "One day I want to be that guy!" Brits (and Northern Europeans, generally) say: "One day, I want to get that guy!".

Leave a comment:

• Walsh7
    commented on 's reply
    As someone who lives in the US 80% of the time, I can say with confidence that you are way off the mark. 75% of the coaches and athletes that I talk to in the US agree with the drug suspensions for Richardson, Houlihan, and McNeal. Even the sometimes confused president supports the Richardson suspension. The only thing you're right about is that the vocal minority and mainstream media in the US will try and brainwash the philipo's of the world that the sport is corrupt, and the rules need to be changed right now. I see this media brainwashing tactic all the time in the US when it comes to other matters. Your theory about media brainwashing also explains the idiotic beliefs that philipo has about the US being facist and racist. He not only drank the Kool-Aid fed to him by the mainstream media. He gulped it down!

• Sovietvest
    replied
    As someone who lives in the States now, I can hand on heart say that they are no better or worse, no more arrogant or whatever, than any other group of people I've spent time around. There are idiots there, of course, but there are in literally every country. Some of the views being espoused about them here are no better than the views they are criticising about Americans and certainly nothing that reflects well on the UK.
    I honestly believe there is a difference between our cultures - in some ways better in some ways worse. Compare the treatment of Chambers and Gatlin in the respective countries (and you could argue the US attitude was better). Look at how we try to knock anyone who gets success - Farah and Wiggins for example. Imagine how sooner we'd have gone after Armstrong. Even this week look at the stick Eilish McColgan got - never would have happened in the US. The flipside to the greater ambition and pride felt by the Americans are the traits I described in my earlier post.

Americans see a guy living in a big house and say: "One day I want to be that guy!" Brits (and Northern Europeans, generally) say: "One day, I want to get that guy!".

Leave a comment:

• LuckySpikes
    replied
    Originally posted by Sovietvest View Post

Nice guy but he's spending too much time in the company of that kidult Gordon Mack.
    Yes, it's hard to believe that someone so inarticulate can make a (presumably) good living from talking!

Leave a comment:

• marra
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X