Sha'carri Richardson tests positive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trickstat View Post

I personally doubt whether they'd do either because it would create a major precedent and undermine their whole trials system.
    I seem to think this has happened before, but I’ve blanked on the details. Can’t even remember if it was athletics or swimming.

Comment

Originally posted by Ursus View Post
      The Mail article says that her mother had died recently. Given she’s only 21 her mum must have been comparatively young, so it’s quite possible she may not have been thinking straight.

But whatever her circumstances, given her profession it’s an extremely silly thing to have done.
      Sha'Carri's birth mother died in the week of the trials. She gave a very honest broadcast interview about the impact this had on her and took full responsibility for her actions: https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/s...226847745?s=20

It was totally stupid and she should have been looked after better by her support crew however, the impact of the death of her mother with whom she had a very traumatic relationship must have impacted her mental health. Poor kid. She is only 21. I hope she does get a chance to run in the relay.

Comment

Originally posted by LoveSprints1 View Post

Sha'Carri's birth mother died in the week of the trials. She gave a very honest broadcast interview about the impact this had on her and took full responsibility for her actions: https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/s...226847745?s=20

It was totally stupid and she should have been looked after better by her support crew however, the impact of the death of her mother with whom she had a very traumatic relationship must have impacted her mental health. Poor kid. She is only 21. I hope she does get a chance to run in the relay.
        She should be banned from from the Tokyo OG including the relays; she had the minimum penalty, one month.
        Richardson is 21 and exceptionally talented.
        She has just started her career, and has next year and 2023 WC, and Paris 24, when she will be only 24 years old; not even then will she be at her peak age.. So she will have learned from her mistake, surely.; her personal family sadness is not an excuse for her conduct and she was quite open and contrite about it. Onwards and upwards.

Comment

Her ban will be over by then and most countries would pick her.

Comment

The coverage from journalists on Letsrun and Flotrack is driving me nuts. By denying that there is any reason for having cannabis on a banned list they are building a narrative around how the sports rules are stupid and the people enforcing them are somehow out to get the athletes. Aside from this being simply wrong, they are damaging the sport in the eyes of the public - the sport that gives them a living.

The guy Kevin Sully on Flotrack, who is normally fairly sane (except for his take on Semenya) actually noted that cannabis is banned because "Athletes who smoke cannabis or Spice in-competition potentially endanger themselves and others because of increased risk taking, slower reaction times and poor executive function or decision making". But then he dismissed this and kept referring to the irrelevant fact that cannabis is not a performance enhancer.

I'd love to get them down to my local track with a bunch of our kids competing over for hurdles, shot, discus, hammer and javelin. We'll hand out the spliffs to the kids and the 'experts' can either compete or officiate.

Comment

Originally posted by philipo View Post

She should be banned from from the Tokyo OG including the relays; she had the minimum penalty, one month.
              Richardson is 21 and exceptionally talented.
              She has just started her career, and has next year and 2023 WC, and Paris 24, when she will be only 24 years old; not even then will she be at her peak age.. So she will have learned from her mistake, surely.; her personal family sadness is not an excuse for her conduct and she was quite open and contrite about it. Onwards and upwards.
              i agree with the moaning old man on this, theres always an excuse, briana rollins has come out with a load of old bollocks today as well, which has the know nothing idiots on twitter all riled up today as well

Comment

Originally posted by Sovietvest View Post
                The coverage from journalists on Letsrun and Flotrack is driving me nuts. By denying that there is any reason for having cannabis on a banned list they are building a narrative around how the sports rules are stupid and the people enforcing them are somehow out to get the athletes. Aside from this being simply wrong, they are damaging the sport in the eyes of the public - the sport that gives them a living.

The guy Kevin Sully on Flotrack, who is normally fairly sane (except for his take on Semenya) actually noted that cannabis is banned because "Athletes who smoke cannabis or Spice in-competition potentially endanger themselves and others because of increased risk taking, slower reaction times and poor executive function or decision making". But then he dismissed this and kept referring to the irrelevant fact that cannabis is not a performance enhancer.

I'd love to get them down to my local track with a bunch of our kids competing over for hurdles, shot, discus, hammer and javelin. We'll hand out the spliffs to the kids and the 'experts' can either compete or officiate.
                you are so right Soviet; the mentally challenged lunatics in the United States are now in a state of high hysteria about Richardsons misdemeanour, and Lets run and the couple of nutters who run it, think that they are the sport. Wejo and Rojo are a couple of arrogant nasty dickheads... just read their stuff sometime.
                Do you guys and gals wonder why i am completely anti American,( on a whole load of more important matters than our sport) when you read the Letsrun sickos who spew out their rubbish,, but the loonies want the whole structure of anti doping changed to suit their quadrennial madness at Olympics time.
                The American track and field authorities, USATF, have shown over their disgraceful dishonesty re Houlihan, NcNeal and the"meat eater" brigade, that they are not fit to run a World Championship in my view, and require serious comments and warnings from WADA, CAS and especially the great silent one. Lord Sebastian Coe, of whom i have not heard a single comment on the situation this year.Is Seb afraid of Nike or something.?
                Last edited by philipo; 03-07-21, 19:59.

Comment

As it happens, other athletes who have been found guilty of smoking cannabis have not always been given the minimum sentence of a month.

Comment

I used to quite enjoy Kevin Sully on the House of Run podcast (when he was just an unpaid fan). But then he started working for FloTrack and became a flag-waving spouter of nonsense. Maybe the flag-waving is part of his contract but, now that he's getting paid for his views, I think he just tries too hard and half the time ends up being illogical or conveniently ignoring important facts.

Comment

A lot of Americans talking about this case seem utterly convinced that, purely because of this case, cannabis will come off WADA's list. They can be so naive and insular sometimes. Amongst other things, they struggle to grasp that the WADA list covers many sporting activities where someone being heavily under the influence of dope could be a danger to others. You wouldn't want a bobsleigh driver or horse rider to be high, for example.
                      Last edited by trickstat; 04-07-21, 17:25.

Comment

Off course you make a good point. Some of us realized a long time ago that the USA population is made up of a vast number of crazy people, ignorant, fanatical, insular in I the extreme. Their society is brut and believes that only winners. matter.
                        And I did not even mention gun mad, racist, fascist police, un democratic and lots of other stuff.

Comment

• Walsh7
                          Walsh7 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I have some advice for the brainwashed old cog on this Sunday. As Mark Twain so eloquently said, “It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt." Thanks for leaving no doubt!!
                          Last edited by Walsh7; 04-07-21, 16:08.

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post

I used to quite enjoy Kevin Sully on the House of Run podcast (when he was just an unpaid fan). But then he started working for FloTrack and became a flag-waving spouter of nonsense. Maybe the flag-waving is part of his contract but, now that he's getting paid for his views, I think he just tries too hard and half the time ends up being illogical or conveniently ignoring important facts.
                        Nice guy but he's spending too much time in the company of that kidult Gordon Mack.

Comment

Originally posted by philipo View Post
                          Off course you make a good point. Some of us realized a long time ago that the USA population is made up of a vast number of crazy people, ignorant, fanatical, insular in I the extreme. Their society is brut and believes that only winners. matter.
                          And I did not even mention gun mad, racist, fascist police, un democratic and lots of other stuff.

I work with lots of really smart Americans but they a deep underlying knowledge - more certain than a mere belief) that they are superior to other countries. This is of course based upon total ignorance of the ROW (my Chinese team is WAY smarter than the US one) and a really condescending attitude to foreigners. This reveals itself with intelligent people commenting on this case and the Houlihan case, certain in the knowledge that the backward Europeans have imposed stupid rules on them. it's not an opinion for them it is a certainty.

The other factor at play is a - probably unconscious - understanding that rules should not apply to them because they're the good guys. Add to this an assumption - again probably unconscious - that fame and money should get you out of anything.

The laws of "Unintended Consequence" and "Be Careful What You Wish For In Life" are in danger of playing out in front of us . They - the US journalists, athletes and the coaches - will convince the whole of the US that the sport is corrupt and the rules make no sense, further damaging the sport that provides their living and undermining anti-doping. I fear a future where fewer people are watching the sport and rules get relaxed so that every doper has a menu of options that can be used to get them off any charge, be it missed tests or steroids in their system. And don't get me started on the attitude to the DSD athletes which could eventually result in rule changes that kill female sport.

Excuse the hyperbole - but they started it ;-)

Comment

• Walsh7
                            Walsh7 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            As someone who lives in the US 80% of the time, I can say with confidence that you are way off the mark. 75% of the coaches and athletes that I talk to in the US agree with the drug suspensions for Richardson, Houlihan, and McNeal. Even the sometimes confused president supports the Richardson suspension. The only thing you're right about is that the vocal minority and mainstream media in the US will try and brainwash the philipo's of the world that the sport is corrupt, and the rules need to be changed right now. I see this media brainwashing tactic all the time in the US when it comes to other matters. Your theory about media brainwashing also explains the idiotic beliefs that philipo has about the US being facist and racist. He not only drank the Kool-Aid fed to him by the mainstream media. He gulped it down!

The comments about Americans and the United States in this thread by "philipo" is the kind of stuff one would read about the Jews in Der Stürmer in the 20s and 30s. Pure, undiluted hatred, and the people who run the Athletics Weekly forum are OK with this. Shocking and shameful.

"the mentally challenged lunatics in the United States", "arrogant nasty dickheads", "sickos", " the USA population is made up of a vast number of crazy people, ignorant, fanatical, insular in I [sic] the extreme", "gun mad, racist, fascist police, un democratic [sic]"... and all these comments by "philipo" were made in the last 24 hours. He has a whole catalog of this behaviour.

Comment

The other factor at play is a - probably unconscious - understanding that rules should not apply to them because they're the good guys.
                            I remember meeting a US college coach a few years ago, shortly after the BALCO drugs scandal. He said that he was shocked by the whole affair, because he'd always assumed that they were "the good guys" (his actual words).

Comment

Working...
                            X