No announcement yet.

UK Outdoor Results - July 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gemili followed up the 10.14 with 20.41 in the 200 about 90 minutes later. Again, nothing to get crazy excited about but it's definitely the direction you want to be heading 4 weeks out from the games, especially when you have history in getting yourself into the mix.

Comment

Abigail Irozuru came 2nd in the long jump at the Istvan Gyulai Memorial meeting, with a best of 6.64 m in the 1st round.

Comment

Originally posted by marra View Post
        Gemili followed up the 10.14 with 20.41 in the 200 about 90 minutes later. Again, nothing to get crazy excited about but it's definitely the direction you want to be heading 4 weeks out from the games, especially when you have history in getting yourself into the mix.
        Do you see him as a 200m finalist.?

Comment

• MysteryBrick
          MysteryBrick commented
          Editing a comment
          It's a tough one. He's a little bit behind where he has historically been pre-major Champs, but 20.41 into a -1.1 is still about a 20.30 with a gentle tailwind, and he was also 0.03 behind Oduduru who is 5th in the World this year with 19.88.

I would say he is about 50% to make the final, based on history. If he hadn't just run 10.14 beating Gatlin I'd be a bit more down. Also, the fact is that he may be ranked 60th in the World on time, but 31 of those ahead of him are American, so that's 28 people who won't be there in Tokyo.

Originally posted by philipo View Post

Possibly, given his record but no guarantees and for all his experience and championship animal credentials I can’t see him in the medals mix. He may peak where others don’t, but put simply I just don’t think he’s fast enough.

I know you can’t equate rankings to medals, but Adam’s PB dates back to 2016 and he hasn’t gone sub 20 since. This year 8 men have run faster, some much faster, than he has ever run. And all those 8 are younger than he is.

He’s a good character and I’d be delighted if he exceeded my expectations. But I can’t see anything better than 5th - 8th in the final.

Comment

• LoveSprints1
          LoveSprints1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree. Adam has been the big hope for some years and always peaks at the right time however, it just feels that his time has gone. Hope we're proved wrong. He never looks at ease in the last 50 of the 200m. Adams's rivals often looked relaxed and glide past him and he looks strained as he goes backwards.

• JamieSLA
          JamieSLA commented
          Editing a comment
          I rewatch his final from Zurich 2014 often, ran 19.98 into a headwind and looked like he had more! How we've not seen Regis' record go by him or anyone I really don't know.

Adam improved from a 20.4 at the GB Trials in 2016 to a 20.0 at the London DL. And he didn't break 10.2 prior to the games. Maybe he'll do it again!

Comment

• LoveSprints1
          LoveSprints1 commented
          Editing a comment
          As above. I hope so but think his best is behind him.

Originally posted by Ursus View Post

Possibly, given his record but no guarantees and for all his experience and championship animal credentials I can’t see him in the medals mix. He may peak where others don’t, but put simply I just don’t think he’s fast enough.

I know you can’t equate rankings to medals, but Adam’s PB dates back to 2016 and he hasn’t gone sub 20 since. This year 8 men have run faster, some much faster, than he has ever run. And all those 8 are younger than he is.

He’s a good character and I’d be delighted if he exceeded my expectations. But I can’t see anything better than 5th - 8th in the final.
        he ran sub 20 seconds 8 years ago and he was a sub 10 some years ago; the speed is not there now as i watch him.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
          MysteryBrick commented
          Editing a comment
          Or... he ran sub-20 5 years ago, and 20.03/10.04 in 2019.

Mstery, you are so boringly predictable
        . My point was factual, so you had to prove me wrong with other irrelevant stats. . But of course what i wrote was taken from the WA Profiles . Are you a smart ass in real life or do you save it for this Forum.
        Further to your rather pointless post, , the fact is that he has lost speed considerably over the last couple of years and its obvious to most observers. Ursus makes a good point.
        Last edited by philipo; 07-07-21, 23:38.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
          MysteryBrick commented
          Editing a comment
          Hang on... so, you're saying that me saying he ran sub-20 5 years ago is incorrect? I know you come from the feelings over facts school, philipo, but for someone who so often boasts about their own academic prowess I'd have thought you would rely on evidence.

His last 2020 was poor, yes, but my point that he had a good 2019 and is also coming into form this year, and has a good track record of peaking when it counts is true. Deny it...

• MysteryBrick
          MysteryBrick commented
          Editing a comment
          Note that I am not saying I expect him to win a medal or PB. I am saying I think there is a reasonable chance he peaks when it counts and makes the final, as he so often does.

• Laps
          Laps commented
          Editing a comment
          I am with Mystery on this one.
          Gemili looks to be heading to peak when it matters. Slight odds-on to make the final imvho.
          He has the mind to get a medal if not quite the body. Some of the others will be the other way around and will mess up, fall to Covid or some other misfortune.

Originally posted by philipo View Post

I mean, depends how he goes. Clearly not running these times. But if he is getting his preparation right as he has done previously, absolutely. He's proven on more than one occasion that he's capable of producing his best at the right time.

Whether that best is good enough for the final depends, within reason, on everyone else of course and I think a medal would be a hugely tall order even if he IS on form. But Gemili has earned more leeway than some because of his history.

More than anything with British male sprinters though, I'm looking at the relay. It's clearly a great chance of a medal if they get everything right.

Comment

• LoveSprints1
          LoveSprints1 commented
          Editing a comment
          He might make the final but if he came higher than 6th I would be surprised.

Already mentioned on multiple threads... but for the record, Muir and Reekie both run sub 1.57 800s in Monaco. The plaudits will go to Laura for sure, she almost had to side step and start again in that home straight, but I stand by my view that she should not double-up and has made the right decision. Reekie should take great confidence from this run and we are blessed with an extraordinary time in British female 800m running...

Comment

bird breaks the national record in the steeplechase 9.22 and bits

Comment

NATIONAL RECORD! Elizabeth Bird! 9:22.80!

Comment

• carterhatch
              carterhatch commented
              Editing a comment
              I was going to open a steeplechase - state of play tis afternoon, with the question , will the national record get beaten at Tokyo .... then got distracted... well done Ms. Bird, she looked exhausted!!

• Occasional Hope
              Occasional Hope commented
              Editing a comment
              Excellent performance.

Originally posted by paul View Post
            Based on the indoors, Reekie has a 1:56 in her too.
            "You're a dreamer paul" they said. "You're a wildly optimistic fantasist paul" they said. (OK I may have made that last one up.)

Comment

• alfie
              alfie commented
              Editing a comment
              Not related to that Football clairvoyant Octopus are you , Paul ?

I know it’s been said elsewhere but I’m a bit worried about how much running Giles is doing

Comment

• LoveSprints1
              LoveSprints1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Agree. He needs to stop and do a training block or he'll be like an NCAA athlete at the end of a long season!

• treadwater1
              treadwater1 commented
              Editing a comment
              He’s entered in the mile in Gateshead as well. He did run quite a few races over a short time period indoors culminating in that British record

No sign of Dustin, his name disappeared from the Monaco start lists a few days ago and he’s not currently listed for Gateshead, hope there isn’t a problem there

• SprintRelayFan
              SprintRelayFan commented
              Editing a comment
              I hadn’t picked up about Dustin. A worry.

Ian Hodge is reporting on his twitter that 'British champs bronze medallist @loralski (Lorraine Ugen) found top form last night back in Marietta, jumping 6.89 (1.0) with three 7m jumpers from 2021 behind her.'

If she can replicate that in Tokyo she might not be farr off the medal 'conversation' ...

Comment

It's easy to forget that the English Schools champs have been progressing since yesterday (not televised unfortunately, like they used to be) and via Ian Hodge's Twitter, Sophie Ashurst won the senior girl's pole vault title with a new championship record and PB of 4.21 m. On the eve of the European U20's, that's put her into 3rd among European teenage athletes this season, and is also the 5th best UK U20 height of all time.

Comment

• trickstat
                trickstat commented
                Editing a comment
                Also other one for the chips off the old block thread with Dad Andy being a Commonwealth champion.
            Working...
            X