No announcement yet.

UK Outdoor Results - July 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From what I've seen in the men and women's 800, Dustin is our strongest medal hope.

Comment

You can't dictate what others are running. One Hodgkinson target at the moment is Holmes' national record 1:56.21. She just split the difference between her old PB and that NR, so another
      improvement like that will get the job done.
      1:56.21 is a super-respectable target for a U20. If someone goes faster than that in the Olympic final after rounds and semis (quite possible) then fair-dos to them, they'll deserve the gold. If not, then KH
      (Keely, not Kelly!) could well be in the mix.

She's hit at least one very significant target today: mentor Meadows PB is 1:57.93.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
        MysteryBrick commented
        Editing a comment
        1:56.21 is a super respectable target? That might be the understatement of the century!!!

Based on the indoors, Reekie has a 1:56 in her too. And similarly Giles, when fully fit, a 1:42 low is surely on.
      These might well not be enough for a medal this year, but they should be enough for an exciting ride on the Olympic roller-coaster. You can't ask for more.

Comment

Originally posted by Grassmarket View Post

I suppose when they are on the world feed they can’t be spending much time eulogizing the runner who cams fourth.
        true!! a very promising athlete with lots to go for in the next 3 years.

Comment

Beth Dobbin needs rounds to get warmed up, doesn't she. Too bad there are no rounds in the Olympics. No wait.

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
            Based on the indoors, Reekie has a 1:56 in her too. And similarly Giles, when fully fit, a 1:42 low is surely on.
            These might well not be enough for a medal this year, but they should be enough for an exciting ride on the Olympic roller-coaster. You can't ask for more.
            i await some convincing evidence that Giles has a 1.42 inside him
            Reekie has not been better than last year and will do well to make the finals. Goule, Amanza, probs an Ethiopian, at least one American maybe two, the Kenyans have their OG Champs going for the double.. Yes it will be tough for all our women, but frequently it depends on the heat draws and the type of race, as to who makes the final.

Comment

Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post

Shattered her own British U20 record and now is 2nd on the European U20 all time list with that 1:57.51 performance. And indeed, 3rd all time on the British lists, with only Kelly Holmes and Kirsty Wade ahead of her now.... at age 19. Crazy good! Heck, she's a lot closer to Mu than even *I* thought she was capable of.

I would have *loved* to have seen those two go at in the World U20's.... I guess COVID ruined that possiblity.
              I love the build of Mu almost entirely consisting of legs and the way, after the tough NCAA meet, she looked so strong in the OT. The reason why i do not consider KH her equal is that Mu is so ruddy fast over 400m. I think its 49.3 something. Formidable!!
              The final in Tokyo may be led out by Ajee Wilson who loves a strong pace and i do not think after two races in the heat and semis that will suit KH..

Comment

Originally posted by CAML View Post
                From what I've seen in the men and women's 800, Dustin is our strongest medal hope.
                No doubt at all that the 800m and 1500m men and women races in Tokyo are likely to be mouth watering.Woudnt put a bet on, though.

Comment

Originally posted by treadwater1 View Post
                  Women’s 800 was a bit of a damp squib in 2019 but it’s come roaring back. Goule, Almanza, Mu and Getachew all running 1:56s. I think the hopes of Reekie winning a medal, which were mentioned last year were based on the 800 being in a bit of a lull. Keely up to 6th in the world, she ran very sensibly today so could well make the final in Tokyo if she does so again

The women’s hurdles race was superb, Bols time was outstanding but the way she held off Little was equally impressive
                  just thinking that the finals in Tokyo will be mid day or thereabouts in the UK; thank goodness.Looks like quite some sleep is going to be lost during the Games. Just remembered that the semis in the 800/1500m will be top two and fastest losers. in 3 heats; the draw will be all important, methinks.

Comment

courtesy of Ian Hodge 'A really good day today for holly mills in advance of the EU23 champs: Long jump of 6.20 (her best off new take off leg), Shot 13.78m (outdoor PB), Javelin 35.67 (10cms shy of PB)'

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
                      SprintRelayFan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh dear it’s clearly getting too late for me. I read that as 10m shy of her best and was getting excited about her 45m javelin!

Got missed with the Stockholm DL, but NMB did 10.33 (-0.1m) in a race in Italy the other day. For context, it is his 2nd best 100m of the year, behind a 10.28 (1.0m) in Florida in April.

Obviously nothing to get excited about on an individual basis, but reasonably okay news for the relay that he's not completely off form. If he can shave a couple of tenths off that, he'd be where we need him to be. As ever though, all about getting the baton round smoothly!
                    Last edited by marra; 06-07-21, 06:50.

Comment

10.14 for Gemili in Hungary. He's rounding into something approaching form.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
                        MysteryBrick commented
                        Editing a comment
                        *Always trust people who have a habit of getting into form when it counts*!!!

I think he will surprise people in Tokyo.

• drobbie
                        drobbie commented
                        Editing a comment
                        lets hope he surprises me with a medal

• Occasional Hope
                        Occasional Hope commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I think there's a bit of work still to do. He was only in the B race of the 200 here. But on the right trajectory for sure.

And 23.17 for Desirée Henry in the 200m, 0.01 faster than her UK Champs time. They've definitely missed a trick not taking her in the relay, I think she'll be in 22.9 shape by Tokyo and definitely do a good job on leg 3 in the heat.

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
                        SprintRelayFan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The other thing is how much experience in relays she has. It does seem a little off

• Sprintfan
                        Sprintfan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Agreed. She has done sterling service prior to the injured patch......

Nice win by Elliott Giles with 1.44.88, with Jamie Webb in 2nd ahead of Clayton Murphy.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
                        MysteryBrick commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Elliot Giles looked *very* good there. Very very good. Dispatched a number of 1:43 men this year. I think people aren't quite aware of just how good the British 3 at the Olympics are - Webb, who didn't make that top 3, just came 2nd, beating the US champ, the Kenyan champ and a host of others.

Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
                      Nice win by Elliott Giles with 1.44.88, with Jamie Webb in 2nd ahead of Clayton Murphy.
                      Yeah, obviously timed as an Olympic rehearsal.

Comment

Working...
                      X