No announcement yet.

UK Outdoor Results - July 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a big pb for hodgekinson 157.51, but that race highlihted how difficult it will be for her at the olympics

Comment

• Occasional Hope
      Occasional Hope commented
      Editing a comment
      Same for Elliott Giles, PB and third place

Another PB for Keeley, but still only 4th. Standards are scarily high.

Comment

Yes, a little bit of a reality check but great performance nonetheless. Almanza and the Ethiiopian who set the WL a while back have got a bit forgotten in all the interest in Athimg Mu and others, but clearly it’s going to be a very competitive event at Tokyo.

Comment

• Christy93
        Christy93 commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed. Very high quality race, I quite like Hodgkinson's chances of making the final.

• carterhatch
        carterhatch commented
        Editing a comment
        I wonder if Laura Muir will be taking note of the race ... Young Keeley is improving race by race, and will, I am convinced, go faster ...Can Laura Mui?

Chance for a good time for CJ - 10.10. Will need more soon.

Comment

Same thing for Elliot Giles as for KH - ran a great time, but still short of the best.

Comment

1.44.05 PB for Giles - A good run, but I think he sat off a bit too much between 300 out & 100 out. British 800m running is in a fantastic place.

Comment

Originally posted by Christy93 View Post
            1.44.05 PB for Giles - A good run, but I think he sat off a bit too much between 300 out & 100 out. British 800m running is in a fantastic place.
            Agree: if we want Olympic medals in the 800m our athletes are going to have to risk it & just follow whatever crazy pace is offered.

Comment

Arop came to the sport very late and should be on a steeper upward curve than any of the world’s best 800 runners. Can see him running 1:42 in Tokyo. Will definitely place an E/W bet if I can find odds.
              If Giles had gone with him down the backstraight, the wheels would have come off in the last 50. He’s a really good runner but he’s an athlete who will do very well to reach the final. He should run like a Lewandiwski or Jenny Simpson - aim for third and sneak a medal. Wish Laura would adopt the same tactics.

Comment

Can't believe Crammy and Tim didn't make more of Keeley's superb time. She might not be a contender for podium in Tokyo but that is a superb result given her age and experience. Men's and women's 800m running is indeed at such a good standard at the moment! Although Jamie Webb appears to have such a loss of form and confidence which is a great shame.

By stark contrast, Men's British 400m running looks in a very dark place. Rooney and Yousif looking likely to retire and Hudson Smith injured AGAIN??? No representative in Tokyo. Grim indeed.

Comment

49.16 pb for McAlister.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeJay78 View Post
                    Can't believe Crammy and Tim didn't make more of Keeley's superb time. She might not be a contender for podium in Tokyo but that is a superb result given her age and experience. Men's and women's 800m running is indeed at such a good standard at the moment! Although Jamie Webb appears to have such a loss of form and confidence which is a great shame.

By stark contrast, Men's British 400m running looks in a very dark place. Rooney and Yousif looking likely to retire and Hudson Smith injured AGAIN???
                    I suppose when they are on the world feed they can’t be spending much time eulogizing the runner who cams fourth.

Comment

Originally posted by Grassmarket View Post

I suppose when they are on the world feed they can’t be spending much time eulogizing the runner who cams fourth.
                      I wasn't suggesting a eulogy, but there was definite lack of acknowledgement of the magnitude of her performance. It was 3rd alltime British and she's still a teenager!

Comment

Originally posted by DeeJay78 View Post

I wasn't suggesting a eulogy, but there was definite lack of acknowledgement of the magnitude of her performance. It was 3rd alltime British and she's still a teenager!
                        Shattered her own British U20 record and now is 2nd on the European U20 all time list with that 1:57.51 performance. And indeed, 3rd all time on the British lists, with only Kelly Holmes and Kirsty Wade ahead of her now.... at age 19. Crazy good! Heck, she's a lot closer to Mu than even *I* thought she was capable of.

I would have *loved* to have seen those two go at in the World U20's.... I guess COVID ruined that possiblity.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
                          Editing a comment
                          Not convinced either of them would have gone tbh, the Olympics would always have been a more enticing prospect.

• trickstat
                          trickstat commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Especially as Mu would have to do the US U20 Champs to be able to go.

US interest in the World U20s can be a bit patchy, especially if it is outside North America. An exception was 2004 in Italy, when the likes of Lashawn Merritt, Aries Merritt and Kerron Carter won golds and the US set (I think!) 3 World Junior relay records

Although I understand and agree with the comments about the difficulty of the middle distances right now and how we should temper our expectations somewhat, I can't help but still be very excited by Hodgkinson. Because we just don't know quite how fast she can run yet. I suspect even she doesn't know herself. Whilst athletes don't necessarily follow a straight line of constant improvement, the potential is there for something very, very special. To give a comparison, age wise, she's where Dasher was in 2014, and we know what has happened since then. Like I said, no guarantee but you'd have to have a heart of stone not to be excited!

Comment

• Occasional Hope
                          Editing a comment
                          Definitely for the future, but right now a medal may be too much to hope for given the competition.

• marra
                          marra commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Definitely would be a surprise, but not a complete shock. To continue the comparision, DAS came, what 5th or 6th in Rio? If KH were to repeat that it certainly shouldn't be seen as a failure. Hell, even a narrow failure to reach the final wouldn't be terrible.

Women’s 800 was a bit of a damp squib in 2019 but it’s come roaring back. Goule, Almanza, Mu and Getachew all running 1:56s. I think the hopes of Reekie winning a medal, which were mentioned last year were based on the 800 being in a bit of a lull. Keely up to 6th in the world, she ran very sensibly today so could well make the final in Tokyo if she does so again

The women’s hurdles race was superb, Bols time was outstanding but the way she held off Little was equally impressive

Comment

Working...
                        X