No announcement yet.

GB Athletics Olympics Team Tokyo2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think the important thing for Prescod is how he actually performs at the games. I guess whatever he does there will be some speculation as to how much better he might have done if he'd been a bit more dedicated to a healthy lifestyle earlier on but what's done is done... the fact that he was honest about it all in the interview suggests he has learned a lesson which hopefully will be a strong positive for his future.

I am not going to condemn him too harshly for lapses . As some of you have already pointed out , the mental stresses on athletes in these unusual times have probably caused a few to slip from the ideal preparations. At least he wasn't stupid enough to blow his Olympics on recreational drugs like a certain well known American sprinter and an Australian equestrian !

Bit of a question though isn't it as to whether "honesty" is always the best policy with the media. More interesting than the bland media-coached stuff usually trotted out : but it can open you up to criticism as the press tends to over-emphasise anything remotely controversial . And is it possible he himself was unwisely guilty of somewhat exaggerating his bad habits for a bit of attention ?

Anyway as I say , we are where we are and I hope he can go to Tokyo and justify his selection. Am sure there will be further discussion after it is all done ...

Comment

• Does anyone know what sums of money the athletes receive on the different tiers?

Podium
      Relay
      Potential

Also when athletes retire does funding automatically end? I am thinking of Sophie Hitchon.
      Last edited by LoveSprints1; 22-07-21, 09:21.

Comment

• The current list of funded athletes are 16 on World Class potential, 30 on Podium potential and 23 on Relays. UK Sport states that the funding levels for world class level, the top level , varies depending on which sport but it is stated as between £36,000 and £60,000.
        Which of our top funded athletes gets what money you will not know.
        There are other sites which refer to a much lower level of funding, for athletes on Potential level and certainly on the Relay level.
        Our three sprinters on the top level are Gemili, Hughes and a guy called Prescod.

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
          SprintRelayFan commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you- that made me look up the list. I note Ms Henry isn't even on relay funding despite having been a successful member of the quartet numerous times. The lists are quite odd. (I think I'm right in saying they were unchanged from 2019) https://athleticsweekly.com/athletic...20-1039926907/

• drobbie
          drobbie commented
          Editing a comment
          im sure henry will get back on funding when she starts performing at the top level again, shes been working her way back from injury the last three sedasons before this one and has not been a member of the relay squad since 2017

• SprintRelayFan
          SprintRelayFan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yess...I suppose so. I just felt her background may have stood her in good stead. Anyway, as you say hopefully she'll be back on this year, as she's done a good job when she has been in the team this year

• Gemili was on goggle box saying how careful he has to be watching what he eats. At their level two pounds is an issue, Prescod is talking about twenty pounds. BA knew, accepted and condoned this, going out of their way to select him.
        ​​​​Ever since leaving Jonas Dodoo, he's made bizarre decisions. Whatever he does in Tokyo, it's hard to respect an athlete who takes such liberties with such a talent.

Comment

• In terms of the grants given to track & field athletes from the National Lottery, the maximum amount is £28,000 per year at podium level and £16,000 at Podium Potential level.

For those who earn over £35,000 from other sources - sponsorship etc. then your grant starts to drop e.g. If you earn £40,000 from sponsorship and the like you will get £5K taken off your grant.

It's on Page 4 of the document linked on this page - World Class Programme | UK Athletics

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
            SprintRelayFan commented
            Editing a comment
            So effectively someone like Mo Farah ends up at zero? But I guess you get the other benefits - medical etc.
            Very interesting document thanks.

• larkim
            larkim commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, the accusation that Farah "takes all the funding" to support him has always been a bit of a nonsense in that regard. Of course, it's the stuff that isn't specifically paid for on an individual basis that can eat up the cash, like the access to the medical facilities etc, and I don't know what transparency we get or should expect to get in that regard. Do they spend more on rehabbing KJT for example than on other funded athletes because she is a higher profile, or do the "wealthy" athletes end up funding the higher levels of treatment from their earnings (it wouldn't surprise me if they did).

• Originally posted by Ladyloz View Post
          In terms of the grants given to track & field athletes from the National Lottery, the maximum amount is £28,000 per year at podium level and £16,000 at Podium Potential level.

For those who earn over £35,000 from other sources - sponsorship etc. then your grant starts to drop e.g. If you earn £40,000 from sponsorship and the like you will get £5K taken off your grant.

It's on Page 4 of the document linked on this page - World Class Programme | UK Athletics
          thats cleared that up.The statements about Uk Sport that quoted is clearly bollocks.

Comment

• Ladyloz, thanks for drawing my attention to the above document about funding rewards, amongst other matters
            . I find the reference to Podium APAs weird, when it talks of A and B level athletes being those that have " strong prospects" of medalling at both Paris or L.A. in 2028. These selections of suitable athletes are apparently confident to talk about 7 years hence, 2028.Surely that is impossible in Track and Field athletics. Tough enough for Paris, never mind Los Angeles..
            The same experts no doubt that fellow poster CAML refers to in his comments that they knew or should have known what RP was doing with his life.
            Last edited by philipo; 22-07-21, 13:39.

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
              SprintRelayFan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, although with only a small number being given it, you can have a punt at where money might be well spent. I imagine in practice unless there's an absolutely outstanding junior (say at the level Jodie Williams was) it'll mainly be geared towards potential Paris medallists. I don't think there's any of our potential medallists that you wouldn't have picked three years ago. It may mean that some money gets spent on those who subsequently retire/get pregnant/lose form but difficult not to do that in any scenario.

• SprintRelayFan
              SprintRelayFan commented
              Editing a comment
              For reference looking at the Euro champs in 2018 the gold medallists were Hughes, Asher-Smith, Muir and Hudson-Smith, with silvers for Prescod, Mitchell-Blake, McColgan and Johnson-Thompson.
              In the commonwealths KJT and Nick Miller were gold medallists. So, reasonable punts to put funding in. Obvs MHS has fallen off a cliff, and NMB hasn't shown the same sort of form since, but that can always happen.

• A perfect example of the huge incompetence and mass ignorance and hysteria going on in Japan right now.,
            Poor Zak Seddon, and others i believe, has to still isolate to a ridiculous extent, despite his vac record and many negative tests.
            Apart from sacking so many officials and other related participants in organisation and the frigging Opening Ceremony( not one second will I watch) , the Japanese government were weak but also bullied by the IOC who stand for cash above all things
            .We all know where the IOC money comes from don't we.?? good old TV and whose TV in the main.
            And now Brisbane are cheering this quadrillenial madness like all the winners usually do at the start of their long haul; 11 years to go for good old Brisbane.
            Wonder what the IOC twerps will have come up with by then, 20 over cricket, NFL crap, marbles, or hookah pipe smoking.???
            Last edited by philipo; 22-07-21, 18:42.

Comment

• Christy93
              Christy93 commented
              Editing a comment
              I have a family friend who lives in Japan and apparently the Japanese public are going around as normal, totally unprepared to alter their lives, and foreigners have been scapegoated since the start of the pandemic. Some prefectures have even shared official advice to *not sit or mix with foreigners* as a safety precaution - Even if said "foreigners" are resident in Japan. Athletes have been put in an awful situation - They're being made example of by a spineless Govt and organisation committee.

• Laps
              Laps commented
              Editing a comment
              Seems to me the Japanese are only doing what most countries would do in the circumstances. Take precautions to the nth degree while there remains the threat of a substantial outbreak derailing the Games. Seddon would have known the rules and nobody is likely to relax them in the run-up.

• There’s an election in Japan in November and the ruling party are doing poorly in the polls, some of the policies employed by the Japanese government smack of trying to appeal to the electorate, fans are not permitted to attend, athletes and journalists must quarantine in cramped conditions despite having umpteen tests before and after entering the country. Meanwhile concerts and events indoors are still taking place (with social distancing and masks), all this against the backdrop of 2 deaths from coronavirus yesterday in Tokyo and 1200 new cases

Comment

• Originally posted by gghurdler View Post
              There’s an election in Japan in November and the ruling party are doing poorly in the polls, some of the policies employed by the Japanese government smack of trying to appeal to the electorate, fans are not permitted to attend, athletes and journalists must quarantine in cramped conditions despite having umpteen tests before and after entering the country. Meanwhile concerts and events indoors are still taking place (with social distancing and masks), all this against the backdrop of 2 deaths from coronavirus yesterday in Tokyo and 1200 new cases
              Yep, as I said before, athletes are being made an example by a spineless Govt unprepared to be honest with their public. Japan has carried on as normal since the start of the pandemic, with only minor measures tolerated by the Japanese people. Their "state of emergency" was effectively making bars & restaurants close early. Foreigners are viewed suspiciously in Japan at the best of times (to a degree you wouldnt believe), during covid, it has beem on steroids. Some of the stories I've been genuinely shocking. IOC are now starting to ask questions as to why the there is a furore over the Olympics in a country which doesn't seem to acknowledge the existence of covid day to day, and I can't say I blame them.

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
                SprintRelayFan commented
                Editing a comment
                White ghosts….

• trickstat
                trickstat commented
                Editing a comment
                It was mentioned that one thing that was significant about Naomi Osaka lighting the flame is that she is mixed-race and people who are 'half-Japanese' are often treated poorly.
                Last edited by trickstat; 25-07-21, 09:25.

• Originally posted by Christy93 View Post

Yep, as I said before, athletes are being made an example by a spineless Govt unprepared to be honest with their public. Japan has carried on as normal since the start of the pandemic, with only minor measures tolerated by the Japanese people. Their "state of emergency" was effectively making bars & restaurants close early. Foreigners are viewed suspiciously in Japan at the best of times (to a degree you wouldnt believe), during covid, it has beem on steroids. Some of the stories I've been genuinely shocking. IOC are now starting to ask questions as to why the there is a furore over the Olympics in a country which doesn't seem to acknowledge the existence of covid day to day, and I can't say I blame them.
              The foreigner is still treated with contempt as is a historical fact. I have not forgotten we Brits group of fans treatment in Tokyo in 1991.

Comment

• Originally posted by philipo View Post

The foreigner is still treated with contempt as is a historical fact. I have not forgotten we Brits group of fans treatment in Tokyo in 1991.
                My good friend Shioh whose family lives in Tokyo tells me that any gaijin will be avoided like the plague. The Japanese people are sheep like, cruel, with the weirdest of cultures.They abhor individualism as my nephews who taught english there for 2 years would confirm.It is clear that the Games should have been cancelled a long time ago but the IOC said no. you cannot mess with tv people. The IOC get 73 per cent of their revenue from TV.
                Get rid of the games: still got annual or biennial champs in the major sports.
                I have not mentioned yet the overt nationalism involved in the whole Olympic concept: every crummy politician jumps on the sport bandwagon for political gain. Those charming creeps the IOC have now decided that they will play the youth market😜😜
                Dont be surprised if horse shoe throwing ends up in the Games if NBC has it's way 😄😄😄

Comment

• bbc reporting Hudson Smith has pulled out... Not covid related. Brier takes place in relay squad

Comment

• MHS withdrawn on medical grounds.

Joe Brier taken his place in the relay squad.

Comment

• jjimbojames
                      jjimbojames commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Agreed. I think at times it’s easy to forget that our frustrations/desires as fans are likely minimal compared to those of the athlete. I see a lot of parallels with his career and Jack Green’s…I just hope this is a sign that the Team are looking after athletes better these days

• trickstat
                      trickstat commented
                      Editing a comment
                      My gut feeling is that withdrawing from Tokyo might actually slightly increase the chance of him being in Paris in 2024 and running well.

• Occasional Hope
                      Occasional Hope commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I hope so and that someone who has his best interests at heart is looking after him.

• Originally posted by Laps View Post
                    MHS withdrawn on medical grounds.

Joe Brier taken his place in the relay squad.
                    Perhaps the least surprising Team GB news you would have expected to come out of Tokyo pre the athletics programme.

He was clearly not fit pretty much throughout this year, and his last outing in Gateshead should, in my view, have had him off the squad anyway. Obviously, the team management knew that MHS was likely to not be seriously involved in the Games, hence why they sent Brier out to join the GB relay squad on such late notice from the Euro U23's a fortnight ago.
                    Last edited by RunUnlimited; 24-07-21, 11:57.

Comment

Working...
                    X