No announcement yet.

GB Athletics Olympics Team Tokyo2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think you need to bear in mind the paper will have put a stance on it. It’s not good, but he seems to understand that, albeit later than one would hope, and has made big improvements quickly. He could have lied / said nothing at all, to be fair…

Comment

• Well on the one hand it looks ridiculously unprofessional for someone on funding (for any athlete really funding or not).

However, it explains the trials disaster and the fact he dropped about half the additional weight and took 2/10ths of his SB leaves me optimistic of his chances of reaching the final in Tokyo.(Would not be surprised at all to see a sub 10 from him in the semis).

Unfortunately he has most likely destroyed any chances of getting near the medals. You just can't give that sort of advantage to equally talented rivals and expect to catch them up in such a short time frame. Which is something he will have to live with for the rest of his life. Because IMO a fit, healthy AND dedicated Prescod would be in medal contention. Real shame, for him and GB & NI.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
        Occasional Hope commented
        Editing a comment
        It definitely shows a lack of self-discipline. RP may be one of those athletes who needs a coach chivvying him.

• Cherriessweet
        Cherriessweet commented
        Editing a comment
        Not easy this Athletic business and we have seen many fall along the way , MHS Springs to mind . I was watching Gold Rush and listening to the various Athletes stories and a lot of them seem to have personal battles dealing with the pressure? Let’s hope that he is getting the support he needs to fulfil his potential. It’s can be a long lonely hard road to travel 🧳 .
        Last edited by Cherriessweet; 21-07-21, 12:05.

• The Telegraph carry the same interview. He must know he'd get slaughtered for it, giving it before the Olympics instead of after leads me to think he thinks he can deliver a performance. I'm starting to tire of this 'Within the sport he is spoken about in the same reverential manner usually reserved for the big names from the other side of the Atlantic'. If he's not careful he'll end up working for Deliveroo.

Comment

• carterhatch
        carterhatch commented
        Editing a comment
        I like the way he slipped in a mention of Daryl Neita's family caribbean restaurant - he'll get all the free deliveries he wants for that

• This is a tricky one in my opinion.

Prescod is rather aloof when talking about anything really, so I don't think we should be searching for words like "letting people down" or "i feel bad" here.

Professional athletes or not, i'm pretty sure all of us to a person have had periods where they've slacked off at work or indulged in behaviours that we shoudn't, for far too long - and there are many factors that contribute to 1) engaging in the first place and 2) not being able to break the unhealthy cycle. We've no idea where his head may have been at post US, wouldn't be surprised if he hadn't gotten quite down and had a few 'what's the point' moments.

I think comments regarding him being taken off funding etc are very harsh. People should be able to make mistakes that don't bring the integrity of the sport into question. He could have done the interview with honesty, which he did; or dish out a bunch of usual media trained "trusting in the process" "just need to go there and execute" sort of crap. He's right about what he said about sprinters and their times in the US - but no way can he or anyone bank on that.

Transparent about a difficult period and has faith in it being put right. Good luck to him.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
        Editing a comment
        He only went out there in March (and came back pretty sharpish). The problems seem to be before that during the various lockdowns here.

No one has said he should be taken off funding afaics, just expressed some disappointment that someone on funding is apparently not making the best of himself.

We shall see how it all pans out.

• I am sure a number of athletes struggled for motivation last spring when the Games were postponed, there was a lot of uncertainty generally and of course tracks were shut for everyone. I could forgive anyone for perhaps succumbing to some ill discipline at this time.

But given these issues relate to 2021 when it's been obvious for some time that the Games are going ahead is a bit more troubling. And as a funded athlete Reece will have had access to facilities since last summer.

Comment

• I think this is the most professional, motivated and dedicated bunch of athletes I've seen in my lifetime. An absolute credit to their generation and the nation. I'd happily see my taxpayer money spent on doubling the number of them on funding. But this lad deserves to be cut. We have kids at my club, no better than on the fringes of making English Schools, aged 15 to 18, who showed dedication and resilience throughout lockdown, maintaining their training in really difficult circumstances (whilst in full-time education). No excuse for him - pathetic. And I see him as our best sprint talent in 20 years.

Comment

• I must say I'm absolutely yearning for Phillipo's take on this

Comment

• Originally posted by SprintRelayFan View Post
          I must say I'm absolutely yearning for Phillipo's take on this
          you can yearn as much as you like.

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
            SprintRelayFan commented
            Editing a comment
            oh I thought you'd have something to say! Is it because I double ll'ed you?

• Prescod did an interview after getting back from America and before the trials saying he had a number of tests done through British Athletics which compared favourably with before he tore his hamstring in 2019. Now he's says he's got refuelling issues. He has no credibility, should not have been picked for Tokyo and been taken off funding.

Comment

• Judging by the amount of time Prescod dropped between his Trials run and what he did at Gateshead last week, then the prospect of Prescod running sub 10 is a real possibility.... which just makes these revelations seem even *worse* when you consider what he could have been running, fully focused and not loaded down like a beached whale after too many Call Of Duty sessions!

Comment

• SprintRelayFan - re what would 'acceptable' - assuming fitness at the Games, his own words in the interview, seems he is looking to be down in the 9.9-10 flat region (assuming no wind here for the sake of time - if there somehow is a Gateshead like headwind in Tokyo, a bit more leeway on time would be fair!)

As far as I recall (and happy to be corrected), he's been picked twice for British teams and reached the final both times. Not a terrible record.

I get that it is frustrating as a fan of the sport to see people who appear to be 'wasting' their talent somewhat but I would prefer him to be doing what he does than be lost to the sport entirely. It goes back to what I was saying about mental health in my other post - the strict, harsh regime that might be needed to get the consistent best out of him could also drive him out of the sport. Having the unhealthy comforts that mean he only reaches his potential some of the time might be the trade-off we have to put up with if he performs well at the right time.
              Last edited by marra; 22-07-21, 01:45. Reason: edited for spelling!

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
                SprintRelayFan commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks - it was a genuine question! It's a good point...I guess the fact is he's still there which is something

• Originally posted by marra View Post
              SprintRelayFan - re what would 'acceptable' - assuming fitness at the Games, his own words in the interview, seems he is looking to be done in the 9.9-10 flat region (assuming no wind here for the sake of time - if there somehow is a Gateshead like headwind in Tokyo, a bit more leeway on time would be fair!)

As far as I recall (and happy to be corrected), he's been picked twice for British teams and reached the final both times. Not a terrible record.

I get that it is frustrating as a fan of the sport to see people who appear to be 'wasting' their talent somewhat but I would prefer him to be doing what he does than be lost to the sport entirely. It goes back to what I was saying about mental health in my other post - the strict, harsh regime that might be needed to get the consistent best out of him could also drive him out of the sport. Having the unhealthy comforts that mean he only reaches his potential some of the time might be the trade-off we have to put up with if he performs well at the right time.
              AKA, the Ricky Hatton between fights blow out, where he would eat fry ups and the like, then have a last minute weight drop before his next big bout. It worked… for a while. But then eventually it caught up with him. Prescod, carrying this on, could end up trying to rush himself back into shape and then getting injured when he need not have done.

Comment

• marra
                marra commented
                Editing a comment
                I mean 2 of Hatton's 3 professional losses (in 40 odd bouts) were to Mayweather and Manny and he's consistently rated as one of Britain's best ever boxers. If Reece were to follow the same career path, he would likely go down as one of our top 10 sprinters of all time!

• All Prescod has done is been honest. I would bet you that many of our leading funded athletes have had periods when they weren't sticking to the diet we armchair analysts expect, or chose not to read 'Mindset' or 'Bounce' or any of the books that should be sharpening them psychologically and were instead making TikToks, chatting inanely to friends or playing snake on their phones when they should have been at the track!

Perhaps Reece needed some additional media training. He might have spoken about his eating habits for five minutes of a 30-minute interview, but that became the story!

So none of you has ever taken time out of your working days to do your own thing, and still accepted your full salary?. Leave Reece alone. Personally, I like his honesty and hope it will teach some of the up and coming athletes a thing or two about preparation (and what to say to a journalist).

Why not see how Prescod actually performs before writing him off. There are others out there who should have their funding cut, Reece isn't YET one of them.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
                Editing a comment
                I wouldn't even take funding away necessarily, but I might want to keep a closer eye on him in future. And that's regardless of how well he might do in the next fortnight.
                Last edited by Occasional Hope; 22-07-21, 00:38.

• Occasional Hope
                Editing a comment
                I would happily remove funding from Andy Butchart though...

• MysteryBrick
                MysteryBrick commented
                Editing a comment
                Butchart is a grade a muppet.

• I think the important thing for Prescod is how he actually performs at the games. I guess whatever he does there will be some speculation as to how much better he might have done if he'd been a bit more dedicated to a healthy lifestyle earlier on but what's done is done... the fact that he was honest about it all in the interview suggests he has learned a lesson which hopefully will be a strong positive for his future.

I am not going to condemn him too harshly for lapses . As some of you have already pointed out , the mental stresses on athletes in these unusual times have probably caused a few to slip from the ideal preparations. At least he wasn't stupid enough to blow his Olympics on recreational drugs like a certain well known American sprinter and an Australian equestrian !

Bit of a question though isn't it as to whether "honesty" is always the best policy with the media. More interesting than the bland media-coached stuff usually trotted out : but it can open you up to criticism as the press tends to over-emphasise anything remotely controversial . And is it possible he himself was unwisely guilty of somewhat exaggerating his bad habits for a bit of attention ?

Anyway as I say , we are where we are and I hope he can go to Tokyo and justify his selection. Am sure there will be further discussion after it is all done ...

Comment

• Does anyone know what sums of money the athletes receive on the different tiers?

Podium
                Relay
                Potential

Also when athletes retire does funding automatically end? I am thinking of Sophie Hitchon.
                Last edited by LoveSprints1; 22-07-21, 09:21.

Comment

Working...
                X