No announcement yet.

GB Athletics Olympics Team Tokyo2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are the optimists downhearted? Surely not. Just because DAS is not fit; our WC Hepper is far from competition ready; some of our middle distance guys are not fully fit or likely

Comment

Originally posted by philipo View Post
      Are the optimists downhearted? Surely not. Just because DAS is not fit; our WC Hepper is far from competition ready; some of our middle distance guys are not fully fit or likely
      To be banned: our 400m number uno.is only a bit better than the nambians.
      It will all be fine in 2 weeks time😁😁

Comment

• Stew-Coach
        Stew-Coach commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure I understand your comment about the 400m runner?

Mildly interesting to note that on the Olympics website the entries list has the following down as GB's entries for the mixed 4x4 - Clark, Diamond, Chalmers, Hudson-Smith.

If I understand it correctly the relays do allow you to drop in anyone already selected in the team elsewhere if you want but it does suggest that certain people might be earmarked for certain races.

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
        SprintRelayFan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes I think it’s the logical thing to do. Although whethe MHS still counts as strongest after Gateshead….

• marra
        marra commented
        Editing a comment
        Occasional - that was the theory I took from it as well, yeah. Maybe they are hoping to see if they qualify and draft in one of the big guns, so to speak, for the final. Although, on current form, hard to see our men doing enough to get us in there.

• Walsh7
        Walsh7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Can you provide a link to mixed relay entries by each country? I can find every other event but that one. Thanks!

Originally posted by marra View Post
      Mildly interesting to note that on the Olympics website the entries list has the following down as GB's entries for the mixed 4x4 - Clark, Diamond, Chalmers, Hudson-Smith.

If I understand it correctly the relays do allow you to drop in anyone already selected in the team elsewhere if you want but it does suggest that certain people might be earmarked for certain races.
      Take care if selecting Ethiopians in your top 3; in some men's events; they have 4 athletes down on the Olympic official list of athletes for the men's 1500m, 5000m, and Steeplechase at this point in time; one athlete in each of the three is down for two events, example being Wale who is a top class steepler and 5 k runner.athletes.
      I thought that the 4th reserve was only allowed in the WC till the last minute,Obviously one of the 4 Ethiopians entered wont actually compete in the above 3 events.
      I can see that one might consider Wale for the event that he does not run in; this situation is what Lucky was refering to as" messy."

Comment

• MysteryBrick
        MysteryBrick commented
        Editing a comment
        East African selections are always a total crapshoot...

I do note that the Kenyans have selected Cheruiyot. Not bringing him would have been absolutely baffling.

Originally posted by philipo View Post

Take care if selecting Ethiopians in your top 3; in some men's events; they have 4 athletes down on the Olympic official list of athletes for the men's 1500m, 5000m, and Steeplechase at this point in time; one athlete in each of the three is down for two events, example being Wale who is a top class steepler and 5 k runner.athletes.
      I thought that the 4th reserve was only allowed in the WC till the last minute,Obviously one of the 4 Ethiopians entered wont actually compete in the above 3 events.
      I can see that one might consider Wale for the event that he does not run in; this situation is what Lucky was refering to as" messy."
      Maybe part of the skill of our Olympic Prediction Contest is predicting who will run what events before predicting the 3 medalists?! There's still 14 days until the athletics starts though, so maybe these things will be much clearer by then.

Comment

Originally posted by marra View Post

it looks to me when you peruse the large number of relay entrants in some countries that you have ample choice of athletes for the mixed relay without having to use those athletes who are earmarked for the individual events or the main relays, 4x100 and 4x400m. Never could see the point of the mixed relay anyway.Anything that seems fashionable and PC will be picked up by the sport politicians;; only a matter of time before we have mixed darts events at Olympic level.!!!

Comment

walsh7, olympics .com has a site which gives the entrants of countries that are represented in the mixed relay withe names of those in the mixed relay I see 13 countries show such entrants with names.The subheading on the link is" athletes profiles"
          full link is olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/athletics/sport-entries.htm
          Last edited by philipo; 17-07-21, 00:12.

Comment

Andy Butchart suspended for 12 months for bringing the sport into disrepute, but suspension is suspended for 2 years. So he gets to go to Tokyo but has to keep his nose clean for two years.

written-decision-in-the-UK-Athletics-v-Butchart-hearing-FINAL-9.pdf (uka.org.uk)

Comment

• trickstat
              trickstat commented
              Editing a comment
              I wonder if he'll be trying to get some extra races in after Tokyo to help pay his £5000 fine? Very foolish for an expectant father!

Are they training together now?

Comment

• I think words fail me, but I doubt the same will be true for Philipo.....

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...es-of-lockdown

Comment

• Walsh7
                Walsh7 commented
                Editing a comment
                Prescod takes the phrase "Let them eat cake" to whole new levels!
                Last edited by Walsh7; 21-07-21, 01:04.

• SprintRelayFan
                SprintRelayFan commented
                Editing a comment
                I’m with christy93. I get lockdown was hard and I put on weight but it’s not my job, funded by the state, to maintain a healthy body.
                Found the comments about the US unconvincing as well.
                Anyway credit to ingle for getting a good article

• Occasional Hope
                Occasional Hope commented
                Editing a comment
                He is very very lucky he's going to Tokyo.

• Whilst I don't think it is a good look generally, obviously, I'm a bit more understanding in the COVID world than I might have been in normal times. With lockdowns and limited social interactions and everything else, it can affect different people in different ways. I also think that we're still, relatively speaking, learning how to deal with mental health properly with athletes. What works for one doesn't work for others. Carrot and stick and all that.

At the end of the day, he's paid to perform for the national team. If he does that, much can be forgiven. If he doesn't, questions will rightfully be asked.

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
                SprintRelayFan commented
                Editing a comment
                What do you think would be an appropriate performance level? Do we judge it off where he is now or where he should be if he’d knuckled down?

• Sean Ingle’s interview with Reece Prescod in the Guardian is truly jaw dropping. I thought his running form looked odd - very low hips - at the Trials and assumed it was due to an injury. Turns out it was due to Deliveroo, 10kg of extra weight and 8 hours a day on Call Of Duty. Take him off funding.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sovietvest View Post
                Sean Ingle’s interview with Reece Prescod in the Guardian is truly jaw dropping. I thought his running form looked odd - very low hips - at the Trials and assumed it was due to an injury. Turns out it was due to Deliveroo, 10kg of extra weight and 8 hours a day on Call Of Duty. Take him off funding.
                lets see how he does in the olympics first

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
                  SprintRelayFan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  For me if he doesn’t at least get to the final and pb he’s off.

• Aside from anything else the example it sets to the younger kids is abhorrent. Look at the guys from last week - they’d have been training despite not having access to tracks etc and then a guy who is on funding and supposedly the best in the country is bragging about all the takeaways he eats and playing computer games.

and actually for several years now we’ve had these flaky male sprinters - MLF and his biscuit issues, dasaolou, whereas the girls work super hard when they have injuries etc. Would not include all male sprinters obvs. CJ for example seems to be very professional

Comment

• Cherriessweet
                  Cherriessweet commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’m not sure if he is bragging ? More self analysis?
                  He says he as a addictive personality? He is only human ? I think it was a honest interview and younger sprinters can take heed . So many young men struggle with PlayStation addiction and he has raised a problem that affects a lot of young people . Not sure why you are being so down on him ? It’s food and PlayStation ffs . I know that I personally ate far too much doing lock down ! . Not broken any laws IMO

• SprintRelayFan
                  SprintRelayFan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dunno. I didn't see the tone of "I messed up" "I feel bad". It just seems to be a bit "ah well". I guess he's putting it right now which is good.
                  I ate too much but I did show up for my job every day despite the fact I also had to home-school. His job is being fit

• ISTR he talked about giving up gaming etc to concentrate on training a few years ago.

Comment

Working...
              X