No announcement yet.

GB Athletics Olympics Team Tokyo2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are going to argue that success/failure is a relative thing (which I agree with), I think it is difficult to argue then with some of the less celebrated athletes being picked. For some people, merely making an Olympics can be the highlight of their career and should not be criticised. Anything they do at the games can be seen as over performance. It's for that reason I would pick all those athletes who achieved the accepted Olympic qualification (whether by time/ranking/whatever) in all sports.

I like that we set ourselves medal targets and don't just want to be also rans. It's good to have that kind of ambition. But there should be a balance as well - it is also good to encourage people to persevere and reward that, even if they might not achieve a medal, or even final, IMO. Even this week we've seen PBs from people who have done enough, in a rankings sense, to earn their spot there. For me, it's a shame they won't be.

Comment

Not a fan of using the rankings system for qualifying purposes, because any such rankings system in athletics is inherently flawed unless there is a massive change in competition structure that bases everything around it.

Comment

I think the selection criteria should be very straight forward.
        BA sets a qualifying standard - achieve it and then finish 1st or 2nd at the trials and you're in.
        Any others who have the QS are then eligible for selection for the 3rd place, which is at the selectors discretion
        If you've been given 12-18 months to achieve the QS and you can't do it, then you're not eligible to go. Very few athletes would have that length of injury and then be fit to take part in an major champs
        Unless my mind is playing tricks with me, the problems really started when athletes began choosing to do other events at the trials. I think if you're prepared to risk doing that, then you run the risk of not being selected.
        The examples people have highlighted were all in events when we had 4-5 real contenders in a particular event - don't think that currently applies
        I can't think of any athlete who everyone agrees should have gone to Tokyo and haven't been selected

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
          SprintRelayFan commented
          Editing a comment
          I think the only one is Zharnel in the 200...who presumably has his own reasons for not doing it, but I can't think what they are! Does someone more knowledgable about the strains a 200 puts on you compared to 100 want comment?

• jjimbojames
          jjimbojames commented
          Editing a comment
          I’d imagine he’s had some sort of knee niggle/injury which is exacerbated by bend running, so sticking with the 100. He’s likely to be on the back straight for the 4x1, so no issues with those two events.

• SprintRelayFan
          SprintRelayFan commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you I was wondering if that might be it, but didn't know enough about runner physiology to be able to say! A shame, as I think his chances are far higher in the 200 than the 100 in general.

Anybody else having a few concerns about how little DAS is racing compared to the other top sprinters? Obviously, she has got it right in the past and given no reasons to doubt her ability to turn up at her peak, but she does seem to be coming in under the radar.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
          MysteryBrick commented
          Editing a comment
          2 200s and 3 100s so far. I'm not worried at all.

• marra
          marra commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd also say that we're still dealing with the effects of the pandemic, and how that impacts attending events overseas, the risk of catching something and missing training or, even worse, the Olympics itself. For a proven athlete, taking things a bit more cautiously than normal is okay by me. We've seen her do 10.9 and 22.0 already, so it's not like she's miles away from where she'll need to be in 4 weeks or so, especially with the rounds as well.
          Last edited by marra; 06-07-21, 07:19.

Originally posted by Christy93 View Post
        Anybody else having a few concerns about how little DAS is racing compared to the other top sprinters? Obviously, she has got it right in the past and given no reasons to doubt her ability to turn up at her peak, but she does seem to be coming in under the radar.
        When I said that I was met by the usual guff by a poster
        Two 200m pre OG races may or may not be adequate prep; clearly the worlds best sprinters are not all obsessing about covid and travel as you peruse the entries of very recent entry meets. Perhaps DAS does not need the money
        I believe she will run at the Gateshead DL meet.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
          MysteryBrick commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm just really quite confused as to why a bunch of random people on an athletics forum know more than an athlete and coach who, collectively, have won the 200m at the last major and peaked at every single major championship she has run at since 2014...?

• trickstat
          trickstat commented
          Editing a comment
          Some athletes thrive on what appears to others to be a very heavy competition schedule while others don't appear to need that many competitions at all to reach a peak. Neither of these types of athlete should change just because most other athletes fall somewhere in between if it works for them.

• SprintRelayFan
          SprintRelayFan commented
          Editing a comment
          What a well written sentence trickstat. And agree with mysterybrick - John B seems to know what works for her, so let's not assume he's just lost the plot

I really hope she’s right, but she must surely be undercooked.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...o-go-for-tokyo

Comment

• MysteryBrick
          MysteryBrick commented
          Editing a comment
          Almost certainly, but given a fully cooked KJT was 300 points better than 3rd in the World in 2019, maybe an undercooked one is still good enough to score 6600 or so? We'll see what the LJ looks like tomorrow, I guess.

Originally posted by Ursus View Post

A ruptured Achilles tendon on her jumping leg.... in *December*?! And she's coming back less than 8 months later? Usually if a footballer did that, they would be out for between 6 and 12 months, then more months of recovery before they are fully fit again to compete.

I mean, it's obviously great that KJT was in that high jump with 1.84 m.... but we're talking about a heptathlete here. The amount of pressure and wear and tear alone...

I *really* hope this isn't like what happened with Liu Xhang before Beijing, 2008......

Comment

Well, we shall see. I imagine she wouldn't go if she thought she wouldn't do herself justice, but I have horrible premonitions of her not making it through the whole heptathlon.

I hope this thread doesn't turn into a litany of injuries and withdrawals.

Comment

Laura muir drops the 800m and Alex Bell brought in to the event

Comment

Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
              Well, we shall see. I imagine she wouldn't go if she thought she wouldn't do herself justice, but I have horrible premonitions of her not making it through the whole heptathlon.

I hope this thread doesn't turn into a litany of injuries and withdrawals.
              sadly i share your premonition; this event and mens multi get more withdrawals than we would ever want.Looking at the Top lists this year in the Hep looks like the USA will be medalling.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
                Occasional Hope commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm not convinced the Americans will be able to replicate those scores out of Eugene.

But with questions marks over both KJT and Thiam I think it's a really open competition.

Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post

A ruptured Achilles tendon on her jumping leg.... in *December*?! And she's coming back less than 8 months later? Usually if a footballer did that, they would be out for between 6 and 12 months, then more months of recovery before they are fully fit again to compete..
              Axel Witsel tore an Achille tendon in January this year, and he played during EURO "2020".

Comment

Originally posted by Ursus View Post

Multi-eventers are better at getting themselves into shape away from competition than most other varieties of athlete. Mayer and Thiam have only competed a hand full of times this season so I think she’ll put in a good performance but there is understandably concern about her ability to make it through the 2 days

Comment

Originally posted by nico210 View Post

Axel Witsel tore an Achille tendon in January this year, and he played during EURO "2020".
                  Fair point. But it's still a tough injury to come back from.

Comment

Was there any news re Andy Butchart?

Comment

Will Jamie Bell go if Dustin's issues aren't sorted in time? I know Alex Bell was always down as reserve, but not sure if they did the same on the men's side

Comment

• trickstat
                      trickstat commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Webb appears to be having an interesting season. Some decent runs interspersed with some absolute stinkers. To be fair, slightly more of the former than the latter.

• Afrothletics
                      Afrothletics commented
                      Editing a comment
                      He did a post on Insta when the team was announced saying he was first reserve so I assume so

• SprintRelayFan
                      SprintRelayFan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you Afro. I hadn’t seen that. Anyway today it looks as if Dustin is in the clear! What a 24 hours…
                  Working...
                  X