GB Athletics Olympics Team Tokyo2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SprintRelayFan View Post
    Just as well brier travelled. They don’t have much slack iirc on that 400 squad, unless they move one of the thousands of girls into it.
    Oh for Ed faulds!
    Ed Faulds, if he maintains his progression, will get his first big senior vest at the 2022 Commonwealth Games, methinks.

Comment

• Originally posted by SprintRelayFan View Post
      Just as well brier travelled. They don’t have much slack iirc on that 400 squad, unless they move one of the thousands of girls into it.
      Oh for Ed faulds!
      I still stand by my comment the other week saying the decision not to accept Chris McAlister's invite in the 400m Hurdles would come back to bite selectors... The fact we have 0 men in the 400/400H to draft in to the squad is really concerning should any of the relay runners be unable to run.

Not that anyone expects them to advance past the heats, but to not even have enough men to run them would be far more embarrassing.

Comment

• They should have taken Chris for the hurdles, but tbh he’s not that fast on the flat. Someone like Dustin might be better in a relay. The quickest leg would probably come from Hughes or Gemili…

Comment

• Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post

Perhaps the least surprising Team GB news you would have expected to come out of Tokyo pre the athletics programme.

He was clearly not fit pretty much throughout this year, and his last outing in Gateshead should, in my view, have had him off the squad anyway. Obviously, the team management knew that MHS was likely to not be seriously involved in the Games, hence why they sent Brier out to join the GB relay squad on such late notice from the Euro U23's a fortnight ago.
          Mhs has had very sympathetic coverage here for well known reasons. However pro sport is tough and unforgiving. Next year can we be a little more perceptive even if Hudson Smith runs a sub 46 in late winter in USA.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjimbojames View Post
            They should have taken Chris for the hurdles, but tbh he’s not that fast on the flat. Someone like Dustin might be better in a relay. The quickest leg would probably come from Hughes or Gemili…
            It's less so about how quick of a flat runner he would've been and moreso just having that extra body there should any of their very limited team find themselves unable to run. I think you're right in that one of the 800 runners will end up being drafted in when the inevitable happens...

Comment

• I have a question, and I have no idea why it's taken me 30 years to ask someone:

What is the point of using a qualifying time & world rankings system for the Olympics, when some countries have entries in the W100 for example, with PB's of over 13 seconds?

Comment

• MysteryBrick
                MysteryBrick commented
                Editing a comment
                Occasional Hope, I believe it is the field full stop. Otherwise, everything you have said is correct.

• trickstat
                trickstat commented
                Editing a comment
                It does seem that the 100m has the majority of these athletes with a much smaller number scattered across the other track events.

• JamieSLA
                JamieSLA commented
                Editing a comment
                That's fair enough - thanks all for explaining, my brain did scan over something along the lines of 'Olympic Spirit' or something, articulated much better by you all.

• Not a pop at Campbell, but not a good look that our national champion, rankings leader and Olympian feels the need to do this.
              A Team GB athlete has taken to selling some of his Tokyo 2020 merchandise on eBay to fund preparations for the Commonwealth Games.

Comment

• He's actually funded at the moment: British Athletics retains athletes on funding lists for 2021 - AW (athleticsweekly.com) Does he expect to get dropped (suspect the list will be substantially revised soon), or is it not enough?

Comment

• I guess it depends if he wants 'extra' cash, so to speak, or if it is to keep the wolves from the door. The latter is obviously worrying although, again, we can never forget the pandemic and the impact it is having all over the place.

Selling a phone you might never use can easily get a tidy sum and it's not like a medal or something more sentimental (at least to me).

Comment

• So with 1.5 chances (W4x400m and Callum Hawkins) left, it looks like 3 Silver and 3 Bronze from GB for 6 medals.

History:
                    1988 - 8
                    1992 - 6
                    1996 - 6
                    2000 - 6
                    2004 - 4
                    2008 - 8
                    2012 - 6
                    2016 - 7
                    2020 - 6+

No Golds isn't fantastic, but always harder without KJT and Dina.

Comment

• Would be interesting to compare the medals won against the number of countries winning medals at each Games

Comment

• As requested:

1988 - 23 nations won medals
                        1992 - 35 nations
                        1996 - 44 nations
                        2000 - 44 nations
                        2004 - 40 nations
                        2008 - 40 nations
                        2012 - 42 nations
                        2016 - 42 nations
                        2020 - 39 nations

You can really see the impact the fall of the Soviet Union had from 1988 to 1996, but it's been amazingly consistent since then.

Comment

• Ashleigh Nelson now holds a rare distinction of being selected for three Olympic Games, travelling over with the team and then not getting to run in any of them!

Comment

• Six medals , albeit no gold , is not a bad return considering the two best gold chances were injured to put an end to their chances. Plus arguably a fit Gemili might have ensured relay gold - that's an "if only " , of course. But the main point stands. A "B+" , I think.

Comment

• But there are real concerns in many events in athletics.

Comment

Working...
                              X