No announcement yet.

British Athletics Championships 2021 Day 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iwan Thomas there, guilt tripping a knackered heptathlete for not having the energy to be smiling too much...

Comment

Originally posted by marra View Post
      Gutting for Markovc. Half a second away from an Olympic place but can't see how she gets there, bar some weird circumstances.
      I watched the meeting she ran 15:05 at on YouTube. Although it was at a high school track (I think) it was called the "PT Qualifier" and was specifically set up to give opportunities to get Olympic & US Trials standards. So, presumably they'd have ensured the rail was WA-compliant. I know a lot of these pop-up meetings in the States have been using bricks as a rail on the bends, which apparently is compliant with WA rules.

I'll have to go back and re-watch it to see if I can figure out what the issue was.
      Last edited by LuckySpikes; 27-06-21, 17:13.

Comment

• marra
        marra commented
        Editing a comment
        I've been reading up about it. Definitely a High School track. Loads of top quality US athletes took part though, which is weird if it wasn't compliant. Most of the reports I've read described people getting times that were OQTs. So bit puzzling why it isn't being recognised.

Excellent racing from Mark Pearce, shame he couldn't get the standard.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
        MysteryBrick commented
        Editing a comment
        Gutsy as hell. I would 100% select all 3 of our chasers if I were in charge.

Unlucky for Pearce. He could well be in a quota place with that result but without getting the time I don't see them picking him.

Comment

Fine run from Mark Pearce - a bit short of the OQ but a good effort to beat the two men who have it... Considering GB hasn't had many steeplechasers making it to major games for quite a while you'd think most people (even Philipo ?) will find that mildly encouraging. Long way off the top performers , of course. But better news than the 400 ...

Comment

Gemili wins, should go to Tokyo based on his 2019 time, but that wasn't a great time.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
            MysteryBrick commented
            Editing a comment
            Not a great time - not quite sure why he hasn't clicked this year.

SB for Mitchell-Blake but didn't quite have the time from 2019, alas.

I think NMB could get in on rankings.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
            MysteryBrick commented
            Editing a comment
            He does have the 20.30 UK standard. GB could end up with Gemili, Hughes and Mitchell-Blake as 3 200m runners, along with Ujah and Hughes in the 100m. That's likely your 4x100m too - Ujah > Hughes > Gemili > Mitchell-Blake.

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post

I watched the meeting she ran 15:05 at on YouTube. Although it was at a high school track (I think) it was called the "PT Qualifier" and was specifically set up to give opportunities to get Olympic & US Trials standards. So, presumably they'd have ensured the rail was WA-compliant. I know a lot of these pop-up meetings in the States have been using bricks as a rail on the bends, which apparently is compliant with WA rules.

I'll have to go back and re-watch it to see if I can figure out what the issue was.
          Ha, my detective work has been thwarted. It was live on Vimeo but the video has been taken down!

Comment

Odd that Harry Coppell's 5.70 is on the results as a stadium record when he jumped 5.85 here last year?

Comment

I think Gemili would take 20.6 in to a -1.7 wind right now. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him back in 20.0/20.1 shape come Tokyo, which may well get him into the final. We've been here many times before. Ujah-Hughes-Gemili-NMB for the relay.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
                MysteryBrick commented
                Editing a comment
                People have such short attention spans and a total lack of appreciation of context...

If someone has a track record of getting into shape at the right time, then I give them the benefit of the doubt.

Jodie Williams and Beth Dobbin get the 200 slots for Tokyo; obviously DAS will get the discretionary place.

Comment

So, this is, I think, a comprehensive list of automatic Olympic qualifiers (if they choose to do the event in Tokyo) from this weekend:

100m – CJ Ujah
                200m – Adam Gemili
                800m – Elliot Giles, Oliver Dustin
                1500m – Josh Kerr, Jake Wightman
                5000m – Andy Butchart
                3000m SC – Zak Seddon
                Triple Jump – Ben Williams
                High Jump - Tom Gale
                Discus - Lawrence Okoye
                Shot Put – Scott Lincoln
                Hammer – Taylor Campbell
                Pole Vault – Harry Coppell

100m – Dina Asher-Smith, Asha Philip
                200m – Jodie Williams, Beth Dobbin
                400m – Jodie Williams, Nicole Yeargin
                800m – Keely Hodgkinson, Jemma Reekie
                5000m – Jessica Judd
                100m H – Tiffany Porter
                400m H – Jessica Turner, Meghan Beesley
                3000m SC – Elizabeth Bird, Aimee Pratt
                Pole Vault – Holly Bradshaw
                Shot Put – Sophie McKinna
                Long Jump – Jazmin Sawyers, Abigail Irozuru
                High Jump – Morgan Lake

The following have got qualifying time/distance but didn't get top 2 here (i realise might include some who choose other events/are injured, but including everyone with standards for sake of completeness) -

100m – Zharnel Hughes, Reece Prescod, Adam Gemili
                200m – Miguel Francis, Zharnel Hughes
                110m H - Andy Pozzi
                800m – Daniel Rowden, Max Burgin, Jamie Webb, Kyle Langford, Jake Wightman
                1500m – Jake Hayward, Charlie Grice, Piers Copeland, Elliot Giles
                5000m – Marc Scott
                3000m SC – Phil Norman
                Hammer – Nick Miller

100m – Daryll Neita, Imani Lansiquot
                200m – Dina Asher-Smith, Amy Hunt
                400m – Ami Pipi, Laviai Nielsen
                800m – Laura Muir, Alex Bell, Adelle Tracey
                1500m – Katie Snowden, Laura Muir, Sarah McDonald, Laura Weightman, Eilish McColgan, Jemma Reekie
                5000m – Laura Weightman, Eilish McColgan, Melissa Courtney-Bryant, Verity Ockenden, Amy-Elouise Markovc (maybe?)
                100m H – Cindy Sember
                400m H – Jessie Knight, Lina Nielsen
                Long Jump – Lorraine Ugen, Shara Proctor

There are some people who are in/likely to be in quota positions, but have not included those for the time being as frankly I'm still not entirely sure how British Athletics are going to approach those. And I'm not even getting into relay considerations and how that might impact things, or those already selected (ie marathon/race walk etc).

Comment

• drobbie
                  drobbie commented
                  Editing a comment
                  you wouldnt take zharnel in the 2 as well? i would

• MysteryBrick
                  MysteryBrick commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Marra, I think I agree with nearly every one of your picks, except I would take Ockenden over Weightman (who I think is injured) and would let Hughes do the 200m as I believe he wants to. I also wouldn't select Prescod.

• marra
                  marra commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If Zharnel wants to do the 200, he's a no brainer. I just was presuming he wasn't interested.

Prescod is the one complete wild card. He's showing no form, but he does have a time which is competitive if he can find form. But I wouldn't be heartbroken if he didn't go. Honestly, if Gemili wanted it and could handle the workload, I'd give it to him over Prescod - but I don't want to hamper his 200m/relay chances by overworking him if they aren't sure.

Weightman is hope rather than expectation. But if she is able to be fit, she's a class above Ockenden.

I won't be surprised if Jodie W does a lot more than just sneak under 51 in the 400 in Tokyo.

Comment

Again, not stellar times, but 23.0 into a -2.9 wind is handy. Desiree Henry has looked better with every run at Champs too, I'd be very tempted to take her as part of the 4x1, I think she is our most talented sprinter other than Dina and it looks like she has a real chance of getting back to her best. Hopefully all the injuries are behind her.

Comment

• trickstat
                    trickstat commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looking at Power of 10, she has run her fastest times since 2017 this weekend and now has run more races in 2021 than any year since then as well. I think there is more to come this year also.

I was smiling at some of the snide comments from the morons in the chat, talkin down Dina, Gemili and basically all of British athletics for being so "bad". The proof will be in the eating at Tokyo I guess.

Comment

Working...
                  X