• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SprintRelayFan
    commented on 's reply
    Gosh how sad. I hope she has a healthy and fulfilled future

• RunUnlimited
    commented on 's reply
    Walsh7 A good point. We'll have to see how it all plays out when we get there.

• Walsh7
    commented on 's reply
    Kudos to Hodgkinson for a great victory on Sunday. The slow first 400 meters set up perfectly for her. IMO, Keely has an outside chance at a bronze medal at the Olympics. She will have to get through the three difficult qualifying rounds in Tokyo. None of her Olympic races in Tokyo will go out in 61 seconds at the 400m. She will have to run a sub 60 final lap, after going out in 57 seconds, in order to have a chance at a medal.

• RunUnlimited
    replied
    Originally posted by paul View Post
    I've been watching Athing Mu run 800's and thinking gosh, and crikey, and thoughts to that effect...

And also watching Reekie win race after race, running 1:58s for fun. Intimidating.

...But then I saw Hodgkinson today! She blew away one of the strongest Brit champs fields ever assembled. She basically took
    world-class tough-guys Reekie and Muir apart today. And I don't think Reekie had a bad day at all. The conditions were not great
    and she was very solid. Its just that Hodgkinson was ...phenomenal.
    Spot on.

If the conditions had been a bit more like they were yesterday, then Reekie's hard running on the second lap might have been better rewarded... but then that would just mean Hodgkinson steaming past in probably another 1:58 and bits to the championship gold.

The turn of speed from her off the bend, against the tough-as-nails, grit 'n' grind double team of Reekie and Muir, and then leaving them for dead with 50 m to go, was hugely impressive and significant.

Athing Mu vs Keely Hodgkinson is very much on at Tokyo.

Imagine they both reach the semifinals and they are drawn against each other?

Leave a comment:

• paul
    replied
    I've been watching Athing Mu run 800's and thinking gosh, and crikey, and thoughts to that effect...

And also watching Reekie win race after race, running 1:58s for fun. Intimidating.

...But then I saw Hodgkinson today! She blew away one of the strongest Brit champs fields ever assembled. She basically took
    world-class tough-guys Reekie and Muir apart today. And I don't think Reekie had a bad day at all. The conditions were not great
    and she was very solid. Its just that Hodgkinson was ...phenomenal.

Leave a comment:

• carterhatch
    commented on 's reply
    No one in my parallel world, where I am a selector is 'doubling-up', except DASHER - no one else has demonstrated the potential to poduim in what ever two individual events might be considered, better they focus on the stronger one, and where applicable have something left for relays....

• marra
    commented on 's reply
    The women's 1500m heats are the same day as the 5000m final - albeit morning session vs evening - so I would have thought that double is unlikely.

Same is true of 400m heats and 200 final, but that's a bit less taxing a double distance wise!

• marra
    commented on 's reply
    If Zharnel wants to do the 200, he's a no brainer. I just was presuming he wasn't interested.

Prescod is the one complete wild card. He's showing no form, but he does have a time which is competitive if he can find form. But I wouldn't be heartbroken if he didn't go. Honestly, if Gemili wanted it and could handle the workload, I'd give it to him over Prescod - but I don't want to hamper his 200m/relay chances by overworking him if they aren't sure.

Weightman is hope rather than expectation. But if she is able to be fit, she's a class above Ockenden.

• RunUnlimited
    replied
    Originally posted by trickstat View Post
    I won't be surprised if Jodie W does a lot more than just sneak under 51 in the 400 in Tokyo.
    So you're saying there's a 50. something in Jodie's near-future?

Leave a comment:

• Occasional Hope
    replied
    So if I was UKA I would pick for the non-automatic selections:

100m – Zharnel Hughes (no brainer), Adam Gemili (not in great form but he's on the plane anyway for the 200, and could do with some solo runs at 100 to get him in shape for the relay, plus always does his best on the big occasions. Prescod is a hard no - way out of form, no use for relay as has never practiced with the guys, and needs to go back to the drawing board and find a new coach asap.
    200m – Zharnel Hughes (no brainer). I would add Nethaneel Mitchell-Blake as I'm pretty sure he'll get an invitation, and Miguel Francis is really inconsistent; NMB also useful for relay duty.
    110m H - Andy Pozzi - no brainer.
    800m – Daniel Rowden - good third in trials, handily beating Webb and Langford; Burgin is injured and untested at championships; and Jake Wightman is picked for the 1500.
    1500m – This is the toughest selection, I could make a case for all the guys with the standard. Would Giles want to double?
    5000m – Marc Scott - yes, if he wants it.
    3000m SC – Phil Norman - yes,
    Hammer – Nick Miller - yes, as long as he had a good reason for missing the trials and is fit.

100m – Daryll Neita is significantly faster than Imani Lansiquot
    200m – Dina Asher-Smith (no brainer)
    400m – Another tricky one, I think I would pick Ami Pipi based on trials and general form this season. Laviai joins the relay squad.
    800m – Alex Bell, I think; Laura Muir didn't show enough at the trals and should concentrate on the 1500; Adelle Tracey under performed at trials and took herself out of contention.
    1500m – Laura Muir is a no brainer; Katie Snowden at least showed up at trials even if she was out of the first two; but not sure about the third spot. I'd offer it to Jemma Reekie, but can I (as UKA) let her double and not Laura? Sarah McDonald and Laura Weightman are both injured, I think; Eilish McColgan is doing the longer distances. Shame Revee doesn't have the standard.
    5000m – Laura Weightman if she's recovered from her injury and Eilish McColgan if she wants to double. If either of them turns down the slot then Verity Ockenden. If Amy-Eloise Markovc's time is accepted after all, and I have to choose between a fully fit Weightman and McColgan probably Weightman, but lots of imponderables on this one.
    100m H – Cindy Sember - no brainer.
    400m H – Jessie Knight over Lina Nielsen.
    Long Jump – Lorraine Ugen as Shara Proctor is now out injured.

Leave a comment:

• trickstat
    commented on 's reply
    Looking at Power of 10, she has run her fastest times since 2017 this weekend and now has run more races in 2021 than any year since then as well. I think there is more to come this year also.

• drobbie
    replied
    Originally posted by Christy93 View Post
    Again, not stellar times, but 23.0 into a -2.9 wind is handy. Desiree Henry has looked better with every run at Champs too, I'd be very tempted to take her as part of the 4x1, I think she is our most talented sprinter other than Dina and it looks like she has a real chance of getting back to her best. Hopefully all the injuries are behind her.
    yep, although neita has overtaken her in the 100 on times

Leave a comment:

• MysteryBrick
    commented on 's reply
    Marra, I think I agree with nearly every one of your picks, except I would take Ockenden over Weightman (who I think is injured) and would let Hughes do the 200m as I believe he wants to. I also wouldn't select Prescod.

• alfie
    replied
    200 times were nothing special but considering the winds were most unkind that is hardly surprising. Gemili has a good record of peaking at the right time : got the job done today , fancy he will tune up nicely now for Tokyo. In any case as has been noted by others above , the relay spots have firmed up pretty well , with NMB showing signs of improvement at the right time. The obvious four , with perhaps Kilty and Efoloko making up the squad ?

Jodie Williams an excellent double and Beth Dobbin confirming her spot as well so that's the w200 sorted as well. Decent finish to the three days 👍

Leave a comment:

• drobbie
    commented on 's reply
    you wouldnt take zharnel in the 2 as well? i would
Working...
X