No announcement yet.

British Athletics Championships 2021 Day 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jaz Sawyers and Abigail Irozuro headed to Tokyo. Lorraine Ugen will have to wait and see, but I don't think there is much justification for picking Shara Proctor over her. Lorraine has a better SB; Shara's standard is from 2019; and not being here suggests she is not fully fit anyway.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
      MysteryBrick commented
      Editing a comment
      Ugen has to go - better SB, got the standard this year, actually came 3rd at UK Champs. She is just so maddeningly inconsistent...

49.98 is really not a particularly exciting time for the British Championships 400m hurdles winner...

Entertaining race, mind you!

Comment

• marra
      marra commented
      Editing a comment
      They ARE the reigning Island Games champs at the 4x400m from 2019, beating out the international power houses that are the Cayman Islands and Jersey for the gold. Dale Garland still around taking part in it for them.

The Chalmers didn't take part in that race, though they did in the 2015 edition. Alastair must only have been 15/16 surely back then.

• carterhatch
      carterhatch commented
      Editing a comment
      great knowledge Marra!

• marra
      marra commented
      Editing a comment
      I have to thank Wiki for that. I knew about the Island Games as a great little sporting oddity so figured they might have been involved at some point!

Do we just take Chalmers Squared for the mixed relay then? Would presume they would be okay sharing a room, so that would be easy organisation. 😂

Comment

• Occasional Hope
      Occasional Hope commented
      Editing a comment
      Alastair doesn't have that great flat speed, even by current UK men's standards. PB over 48 indoors, and I think over 50 outdoors.

• MysteryBrick
      MysteryBrick commented
      Editing a comment
      That's the problem with most of the GB men's 400m hurdlers in a nutshell.

• marra
      marra commented
      Editing a comment
      Small sample size but he was part of the bronze winning 4x4 at the World U20 in 2018. They did a 3:05.

Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
    Jaz Sawyers and Abigail Irozuro headed to Tokyo. Lorraine Ugen will have to wait and see, but I don't think there is much justification for picking Shara Proctor over her. Lorraine has a better SB; Shara's standard is from 2019; and not being here suggests she is not fully fit anyway.
    Sadly I think Shara's career may be over. She said on instagram she's been diagnosed with a medical condition which makes it difficult for her to train and compete. She's said she won't be going to the Olympics this year.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQmrA31se3d/

Comment

• Occasional Hope
      Editing a comment
      Oh no, how sad. Best wishes to her.

• SprintRelayFan
      SprintRelayFan commented
      Editing a comment
      Gosh how sad. I hope she has a healthy and fulfilled future

fuck me , that was impressive from hodgekinson

Comment

• carterhatch
      carterhatch commented
      Editing a comment
      Chapeau young Hodgkinson!

Wow, great win from Keeley!

Comment

Brilliant women's 800 and fab win by Keely.

Comment

What a talent Hodgkinson looks to be, a 57s 2nd lap, coming through traffic in a messy race, is world class. Proving she has a championship racing brain again too. First British woman I've watched and thought she has a genuine shot at breaking Holmes' NR.
        Last edited by Christy93; 27-06-21, 14:56.

Comment

Keely Hodgkinson ran and won that 800 in the style of someone who's won it several times before.

Comment

Hodgkinson is such a talent.

That should be it for Muir's double ambitions. If she can't win the British trials, I don't see her winning the Olympics. Better to focus on 1500m.

Comment

• drobbie
              drobbie commented
              Editing a comment
              if muir decides not to go and baker gets picked over bell, it would be a travesty

• Occasional Hope
              Editing a comment
              Baker doesn't have the standard (although potentially in a rankings position), it has to be Bell.

• marra
              marra commented
              Editing a comment
              Forgot about the time, although Baker is in the quota places.

What that means in terms of the selector's discretion, goodness only knows. I'd be happy with either of them though.

thats sorted out the 800 then - muir should be picked as the 3rd athlete

Comment

• MysteryBrick
              MysteryBrick commented
              Editing a comment
              800m is before 1500m in Tokyo. If you're losing to 2 Brits in the 800m, you shouldn't be trying to double.

Keely Hodgkinson's star continues to rise! Very impressive.

Comment

Some disagreement, I see.

I'd be tempted to pick Bell over Muir - Muir is a better athlete, but she should concentrate on the 1500.

Comment

• drobbie
                drobbie commented
                Editing a comment
                im half with you on that, bell has been very hard done by in the past, but she has nobody to balme but herself, if muir doesnt go then bell should go 100%, keely took her place away from her

Very tight finish there. Dustin and Giles go to Tokyo, Rowden should get the third spot.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
                MysteryBrick commented
                Editing a comment
                Rowden 3rd is a no brainer when there's 0.03 between the top 3!

Those 800s were brilliant. First 3 have to go in the mens, head & shoulders above today. Wouldn't be too shocked if one found their way onto the podium in August. Dustin is a huge talent - Clipped twice and still came like a train.

Comment

Working...
              X