Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carterhatch
    commented on 's reply
    'at the end of the day' - as long as Team GB medal, in any kind of combination, I will be a happy man, and just to show relay discussion is not the sole preserve of athletics ... see link

https://www.pullbuoy.co.uk/olympics/...relays-part-1/

• Ladyloz
    commented on 's reply
    @cartherhatch They all want Olympic medals; Kilty isn't alone in that. But ultimately no emotion when it comes to selection. The best team this year has to include Ujah; Hughes and Gemili. The 4th spot is up for debate and we can also debate running order. I'd be astonished if the likes of Christian Malcolm & Darren Campbell who presumably will select the team aren't in agreement with me.

• JamieSLA
    commented on 's reply
    carterhatch - you almost ALMOST sold me on Kilty just then. I was always on his case over the years as he had an irrational chip on his shoulder and this unjust arrogance, but it's so obvious how much he's mellowed down and clearly sees things as they are. Similar with James Ellington I suppose, maybe a bit different for obvious reasons.

But no, Gemili is in that team all day long. He's the second name after Hughes for me. That back straight in 2017 was ridiculously good, when he's ran the top bend he's been top class. From the top of my head, in 2013 and 2019 respectively; his lead offs were world class.

• carterhatch
    commented on 's reply
    I am a huge fan of Gemili as a person - he is a credit to his generation and perhaps this omission was an oversight on my part - though he didnt run well last night at Gateshead ... but Kilty is running angry/hungry call it what you like, to add olympic glory to his palmares, so he can dine out for the rest of his life ... its as if his entire athletics career, with well documented moments of poor press, are looking for redemption, it didnt come with him winning the world indoors, it might just come with a blinding bend, to a hand over to a rejuvinated Prescod ... its the sort of sporting backstory waiting to happen.

• Stew-Coach
    commented on 's reply
    Ladyloz

They're the Youth/Junior Talent Programmes run by either BA or EA, selected and top ranked athletes provided with "support" and "guidance" along with mini training camps, mostly the relay squads and development plans etc

• Ladyloz
    commented on 's reply
    Kilty over Gemili? Seriously????

• carterhatch
    replied
    A solid performance from both squads. The women will certainly benefit from including Dasher, and at least one hand over (Lansiquot to Dobbin) was dicey. Get the line up right, and the baton round, and they can medal. Philip-Dasher-Willams-Neita, yes, Jodie Williams, I think this is 'her time', she is in the grove, I like Dobbin, but Jodie just might make the difference between also run and glory...

The men... hmmm... they did well, and yes NMB was closed down, perhaps worringly so, but the baton got round, Hughes had an immense back-straight leg, and, no matter my irrational dislike of Kilty, he did a very good bend, and clearly wants this. Yes, Prescod was impressive (thank god) and down the final straight he might well make the difference between poduim or not... my instinct... go all in... CJ UJah - Hughes- Kilty-Prescod and make sure the latter do baton change practice, between each other, every waking moment from now to the warm-up before qualifiers ...

Leave a comment:

• marra
    commented on 's reply
    Where did you find that? The DL website has the team showing as Ujah - Hughes - Kilty - NMB for me.

• Ladyloz
    commented on 's reply
    Stew-coach, what's YTP and JTP?

• RunUnlimited
    replied
    Originally posted by JamieSLA View Post
    Interesting relay selections for later on today.

Ujah - Prescod - NMB - Efoloko

If Prescod hits 10.1x form later on (unlikely with the grim weather) and runs a solid leg, it would definitely have me filled with optimism again, with Gemili and Hughes coming in for NMB and Efoloko. Not that i'd write off NMB mind, just don't think his ceiling is as high.
    Too be fair to Gateshead, the weather is set to be pretty good (by North East of England standards, anyway) today. 18 - 19 Celsius with a light to moderate wind, though cloudy. Certainly a heck of a lot better than it was in the earlier meeting in May!

(I just wished this was been held on the Thursday or Friday instead... the weather is actually set to be very nice, like, into the early to mid 20's and sunny, kinds of nice. Oh well, let's see how everyone performs today at the very least.)

Leave a comment:

• MysteryBrick
    commented on 's reply
    That is basically the top DAS-less 4.

• JamieSLA
    replied
    A very solid quartet of

Philip - Lansiquot - Dobbin - Neita

Daryll Neita also running in the 200m today in lane 1.

Leave a comment:

• JamieSLA
    replied
    Interesting relay selections for later on today.

Ujah - Prescod - NMB - Efoloko

If Prescod hits 10.1x form later on (unlikely with the grim weather) and runs a solid leg, it would definitely have me filled with optimism again, with Gemili and Hughes coming in for NMB and Efoloko. Not that i'd write off NMB mind, just don't think his ceiling is as high.

Leave a comment:

• Stew-Coach
    commented on 's reply
    The YTP and JTP relay squads have been meeting for relay practice throughout. So id expect to see better drilled changeovers this coming weekend.

u23 is a strange one as most wont be on those programmes

• MysteryBrick
    commented on 's reply
    That is actually a really fair point. In all honesty, my view is that everyone should basically be given a lot of slack regarding age group competition this year. It really has been quite crap for anyone in full-time education.
Working...
X