Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MysteryBrick
    replied
    It's worth noting that, as of yesterday, 10 British women have broken 52 for 400m this year (Jessie Knight with 51.93i is 10th). The only other time this has ever happened is last year, where Victoria Ohuruogu was 10th with 51.99, so we are in unprecedented levels of reasonable depth (44 British women in total have broke 52 seconds). It seems that the strength in the short sprints is starting to feed up, since quite a few (Jodie Williams, Ama Pipi) have moved up from the shorter distances.

Leave a comment:

• RunUnlimited
    commented on 's reply
    Nah, I saw what she did at last year's European U20 champs and knew she had a lot of potential, even then. To see Yemi Mary John running twice under 52 seconds in these championships, and winning the gold in such commanding fashion, was a sight to behold. As was mentioned yesterday during the commentary just before the final started, the best finish a UK athlete had managed previously in the women's 400m final at a World U20s was 5th place by Lisa Miller in the 2002 edition in Kingston, Jamaica. (BTW, Miller had a pretty stellar junior career - she had come 6th in the individual 400m in the previous World U20 champs and won a gold medal in the 4x400m relay with a team that contained lost talents Vernicha James and Amy Spencer. In 2001, Miller would win individual 400m silver and 4x400m gold at the European U20 champs, and she would also win a silver medal as part of the long relay in the 2002 Commonwealth Games for England.) So to see this confident British athlete take on the world's best and be that dominant throughout the heats, semis and final, was truly unprecedented.

• Mikka
    commented on 's reply
    Charlotte Henrich, our 15-year-old u18 euro champ, has a similar stature (a little taller perhaps) and a very similar running style (high cadence, slight lean back)

• carterhatch
    replied
    Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post
    Yemi Mary John! GOLD! 51.50 PB! Fantastic!
    Well, that was a very pleasant surprise. When I first saw her run earlier this season I would never envisaged this outcome. If the tiara moment is anything to go by, she certainly has a personality to match and she has corrected my talent ID radar for female 400m runners, as I have been searching for statuesque types [think Miller-Uibo].

A British female world junior champion in the 400 ... superb work.

Last edited by carterhatch; 05-08-22, 09:18.

Leave a comment:

• carterhatch
    commented on 's reply
    I wasn't expecting the performances we have seen by Vicky O this season - a welcome change of fortunes, perhaps inspire others who have plateau'd for a couple of seasons and made a very strong case for the first leg of the relay.
    Last edited by carterhatch; 29-07-22, 11:07.

• MR_ME
    commented on 's reply
    He'll be on the plane. A pair of fresh legs running some of the fastest times in the UK is a no-brainer.

• SprintRelayFan
    replied
    I am still so overjoyed for MHS.
    Also I thought Laivai had a really good champs, as well as that killer Vicky O lead off leg.

Leave a comment:

• RunUnlimited
    commented on 's reply
    If it was up to me, I'd have him selected no problem... However, the big *if* with Charlie is if he can run more than once or twice a week before being laid up for two to three months due to injury he then picks up. Any reluctance from UKA to put him on the plane to Munich would no doubt be related to Dobson's well documented fragility.

• Hammerklavier
    replied
    Charlie Dobson ran 45.11 in Sweden a couple of days ago, winning by a huge margin. They've surely got to pick him for the Europeans.

Leave a comment:

• jjimbojames
    commented on 's reply
    Korir says he’s focusing on the 400m at the CWG - good news for the 800m boys but tougher for MHS

• Occasional Hope
    replied
    He's also clearly very motivated for Birmingham.

Leave a comment:

• Croadymeister
    replied
    Originally posted by alfie View Post

Hopefully this will be the key to unlocking his full talent . Next couple of years : who knows ?
    Yeah getting a global medal just days before his home championships could do wonders for the confidence, needs to be getting into more Diamond League events so he regularly test himself against Norman, Cherry, James, Gardiner and Van Niekerk.

Leave a comment:

• Croadymeister
    replied
    Originally posted by carterhatch View Post
    I am so pleased for MHS.

I can not think of another male British athlete, in recent times, I have been more relieved for when winning a bronze.

Not quite the fast time I was anticipatiing, but that doesn't matter - the mercurial talent has delivered this season. As he said himself, 'the monkey is off his back', two in fact, GB record [and I am sure he will lower it again] and a world medal. It was pleasing to see Martyn Rooney was at the track to share this moment, I would imagine he has borne witness to much of the back story, and very interesting to note Christine Ohuruogu has been 'mentoring' him.

Whatever he does next, he will always have Eugene.
    Smart move to recruit Christine who is a proven winner at world level which he needs to help him find that extra
    Last edited by Croadymeister; 24-07-22, 07:15.

Leave a comment:

• alfie
    replied
    Originally posted by carterhatch View Post
    I am so pleased for MHS.

I can not think of another male British athlete, in recent times, I have been more relieved for when winning a bronze.

Not quite the fast time I was anticipatiing, but that doesn't matter - the mercurial talent has delivered this season. As he said himself, 'the monkey is off his back', two in fact, GB record [and I am sure he will lower it again] and a world medal. It was pleasing to see Martyn Rooney was at the track to share this moment, I would imagine he has borne witness to much of the back story, and very interesting to note Christine Ohuruogu has been 'mentoring' him.

Hopefully this will be the key to unlocking his full talent . Next couple of years : who knows ?

Leave a comment:

• carterhatch
    replied
    I am so pleased for MHS.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X