Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USA Olympic Trials 18th-27th June

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by Grassmarket View Post

    Cutting into that too long debate….Greg Rutherford owed his whole career to US LJers who could put up big distances on the Ostravas & Oslos but couldn’t get out of the 09:00 qualifiers or respond to an 8.20 in the first round. So yeah, a lot of the time they were pretty good sprinters with not much of a technical foundation.
    Oh to have a Greg Rutherford right now for GB.... Men's long jumping is going to be in a rut for awhile in this country methinks....

    Comment


    • MysteryBrick
      MysteryBrick commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, not too much promise in the Junior ranks at the moment, a number of guys in the 7.50m to 7.70m range but no-one regularly near 8m...

  • #62
    Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post

    Yes, those 2 hard to split at the moment. Maybe there's more improvements to come from Dobek?

    Jesus Tonatiu Lopez (MEX) will be in the medals I think. He has a wicked kick.
    Hadn't come across him! Thanks for the heads up.
    I will have to remember not to check the results tomorrow morning due to their odd two day break

    Comment


    • #63
      I see no Sha'carri in the 200m. I wasn't aware she was just doing the 100

      Comment


      • #64
        The Women's 10,000 on Saturday has been moved to 10am Eugene time, 6pm UK time - a weather (heat) related decision. Also, apparently it's now going to be run as one race not two. A few athletes have scratched.

        Hopefully, someone on YouTube will be live streaming it.

        Comment


        • #65
          Originally posted by SprintRelayFan View Post
          I see no Sha'carri in the 200m. I wasn't aware she was just doing the 100
          lol... A bunch of Team USA fanbois, who have been dismissing the likes of SAFP and DAS as no-hopers against Sha'Carri in *both* sprints, will be very disappointed by that news. Good.

          [Edit] Just checked the 200m heat start lists for myself and yeah, Richardson is nowhere to be seen. No doubling up for her.
          Last edited by RunUnlimited; 24-06-21, 12:44.

          Comment


          • MysteryBrick
            MysteryBrick commented
            Editing a comment
            The only person who is beating Dina over 200m this year is Miller-Uibo. Thompson-Herah hasn't shown enough over 200m, Richardson the same and I don't think Fraser-Pryce has the speed endurance.

          • SprintRelayFan
            SprintRelayFan commented
            Editing a comment
            I just thought I was behind the news. Actually I'm mildly impressed that she's being a bit modest and just focussing on one. Agree with MB that it's difficult to see anyone beating Dina at 200 other than Miller-Uibo. I'm also interested in who will make the US 200 team. Felix looks a given, perhaps Brittani Brown? Who knows about the other NCAA girls.

          • RunUnlimited
            RunUnlimited commented
            Editing a comment
            MysteryBrick Agreed. It's going to take (depending on the weather conditions in Tokyo and, of course, Dina's fitness during the Olympics) someone running faster than 21.7 to beat Dina in the 200m final.... Based on current form, the only other runner I can see doing that is Miller-Uibo.

            SprintRelayFan With no Richardson in the 200m, It's going to be a bun fight between a bunch of runners. Felix would be a great story, Tamara Clarke could be a good shout as well. Can Sturgis recreate her NCAA Final from a week or so ago? Judging from her 100m runs here in the US Trials, I'm not very sure if she can.

        • #66
          Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post

          lol... A bunch of Team USA fanbois, who have been dismissing the likes of SAFP and DAS as no-hopers against Sha'Carri in *both* sprints, will be very disappointed by that news. Good.

          [Edit] Just checked the 200m heat start lists for myself and yeah, Richardson is nowhere to be seen. No doubling up for her.
          Fanbois... mate you meant ignorant nationalist crazies; Poor dears they cant help it.
          I note that Miller Uibo hasnt run a serious race in the 200m for months; her only May race was a straightway 200m. Wonder if she is fit.

          Comment


          • #67
            By the way for all fans who will be following the US Trials, note that the schedule for the week end has been changed, due to the expected 38 degrees plus temps expected; GB should be so lucky !!!

            Comment


            • #68
              Originally posted by philipo View Post

              Fanbois... mate you meant ignorant nationalist crazies; Poor dears they cant help it.
              I note that Miller Uibo hasnt run a serious race in the 200m for months; her only May race was a straightway 200m. Wonder if she is fit.
              Well Miller-Uibo is set to run the 200m at the Szekesfehervar meeting in Hungary on July 6th, so I guess we'll get a better idea of her form over the shorter sprint with a curve this time.... she did look very good in that straight away 200 in Boston a month ago.

              Comment


              • #69
                Gabby Thomas 21.98 world lead.
                Felix q (rather than Q) to semis.

                Mu watchers, note that she won her heat. :-)

                Comment


                • #70
                  Just reading the reports, the strength in depth they have in so many events is insane.

                  I know it’s a minority view, but it is a big pity that so many top class athletes will miss out on the global stage - from their perspective and ours.

                  Comment


                  • #71
                    Originally posted by Ursus View Post
                    Just reading the reports, the strength in depth they have in so many events is insane.

                    I know it’s a minority view, but it is a big pity that so many top class athletes will miss out on the global stage - from their perspective and ours.

                    I see where you're coming from. There aren't many events in which the top US athletes can rest easy and cruise their way to the Olympic Games. They always have to worry about performing at their Olympic Trials. I think that fierce competition between the Americans gives their top athletes an added advantage when they compete in major championships. They are battle tested and have done well under pressure. In some events, the US Trials are tougher than the Olympic Games.

                    Comment


                    • #72
                      Originally posted by Walsh7 View Post


                      I see where you're coming from. There aren't many events in which the top US athletes can rest easy and cruise their way to the Olympic Games. They always have to worry about performing at their Olympic Trials. I think that fierce competition between the Americans gives their top athletes an added advantage when they compete in major championships. They are battle tested and have done well under pressure. In some events, the US Trials are tougher than the Olympic Games.
                      100m hurdles usually!

                      Comment


                      • #73
                        No rest for the wicked. Early start to the coverage tonight and all wrapped up by 1am rather than last night's 5am (which I didn't stay up for!)

                        Tomorrow is a 4am-er but the final day wraps up at 1am on Monday for us (if the heat-adjusted timetable stays the same).

                        Comment


                        • #74
                          Originally posted by SprintRelayFan View Post

                          100m hurdles usually!
                          Yeah, usually the 110m and 100m hurdles finals in the US Trials end up being the de-facto Olympic or World Championships due to the sheer strength in depth the US has in those events.

                          Comment


                          • #75
                            What a couple of weeks for my very dark horse for top 3 in the W 800, Michaela Meyer - NCAA champion and now, after being ranked 12th of the starters by PB, she's into the Olympic Trials Final.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X