Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK Competitive Olympic Events - who's going to go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Competitive Olympic Events - who's going to go?

So, as we count down to the UK Champs, as a country we are in the fortuitous position of having a number of events where we have more than 3 individuals with qualifying standards. Currently, these are:

Men's 100m:
    Zharnel Hughes
    Reece Prescod
    CJ Ujah
    Adam Gemili

Men's 800m:
    Elliot Giles
    Max Burgin
    Jamie Webb
    Daniel Rowden
    Kyle Langford
    Jake Wightman

Men's 1500m:
    Charlie Grice
    Jake Wightman
    Josh Kerr
    Jake Heyward

Women's 100m:
    Dina Asher-Smith
    Imani Lansiquot
    Asha Philip
    Daryll Neita

Women's 200m:
    Dina Asher-Smith
    Amy Hunt
    Beth Dobbin
    Jodie Williams

Women's 800m:
    Jemma Reekie
    Laura Muir
    Keeley Hodgkinson
    Alex Bell
    Adelle Tracey

Women's 1500m:
    Laura Muir
    Sarah McDonald
    Jemma Reekie
    Laura Weightman
    Eilish McColgan
    Katie Snowden

Women's 5000m:
    Laura Weightman
    Eilish McColgan
    Melissa Courtney-Bryant
    Verity Ockenden
    Amy-Eloise Markovc
    Jessica Judd

Women's 400mh:
    Jessie Knight
    Jessica Turner
    Meghan Beesley
    Lina Nielsen

And hopefully there will be another few events by the time we get to the end of June. So who's going to make it? In some cases there are people who definitely won't attempt doubles, but I think there are going to be some good athletes who don't get on the plane...

Originally posted by MysteryBrick View Post
    So, as we count down to the UK Champs, as a country we are in the fortuitous position of having a number of events where we have more than 3 individuals with qualifying standards. Currently, these are:

Men's 100m:
    Zharnel Hughes
    Reece Prescod
    CJ Ujah
    Adam Gemili

Men's 800m:
    Elliot Giles
    Max Burgin
    Jamie Webb
    Daniel Rowden
    Kyle Langford
    Jake Wightman

Men's 1500m:
    Charlie Grice
    Jake Wightman
    Josh Kerr
    Jake Heyward

Women's 100m:
    Dina Asher-Smith
    Imani Lansiquot
    Asha Philip
    Daryll Neita

Women's 200m:
    Dina Asher-Smith
    Amy Hunt
    Beth Dobbin
    Jodie Williams

Women's 800m:
    Jemma Reekie
    Laura Muir
    Keeley Hodgkinson
    Alex Bell
    Adelle Tracey

Women's 1500m:
    Laura Muir
    Sarah McDonald
    Jemma Reekie
    Laura Weightman
    Eilish McColgan
    Katie Snowden

Women's 5000m:
    Laura Weightman
    Eilish McColgan
    Melissa Courtney-Bryant
    Verity Ockenden
    Amy-Eloise Markovc
    Jessica Judd

Women's 400mh:
    Jessie Knight
    Jessica Turner
    Meghan Beesley
    Lina Nielsen

And hopefully there will be another few events by the time we get to the end of June. So who's going to make it? In some cases there are people who definitely won't attempt doubles, but I think there are going to be some good athletes who don't get on the plane...
    My thoughts with3 weeks to go
    Prescod does not show that he will be here and has done nowt in the States!
    Langford not big time is he?
    Wightman will surely not double, and will be a 1500m selection very probably
    Charlie Grice has been inconsistent in the past
    Asha philip i cannot see her as a top two; so whats she done to justify selection this year
    I cannot see Muir doubling. Kelly she is not.
    Beesley has not done much this year, and a top two I reckon very unlikely

Comment

Men's 100m:
      Zharnel Hughes
      Reece Prescod
      CJ Ujah
      Adam Gemili

Men's 800m:
      Elliot Giles
      Max Burgin
      Jamie Webb
      Daniel Rowden
      Kyle Langford
      Jake Wightman

Men's 1500m:
      Charlie Grice
      Jake Wightman
      Josh Kerr
      Jake Heyward

Women's 100m:
      Dina Asher-Smith
      Imani Lansiquot
      Asha Philip
      Daryll Neita

Women's 200m:
      Dina Asher-Smith
      Amy Hunt
      Beth Dobbin
      Jodie Williams

Women's 800m:
      Jemma Reekie
      Laura Muir
      Keeley Hodgkinson
      Alex Bell
      Adelle Tracey

Women's 1500m:
      Laura Muir
      Sarah McDonald
      Jemma Reekie
      Laura Weightman
      Eilish McColgan
      Katie Snowden

Women's 5000m:
      Laura Weightman
      Eilish McColgan
      Melissa Courtney-Bryant
      Verity Ockenden
      Amy-Eloise Markovc
      Jessica Judd

Women's 400mh:
      Jessie Knight
      Jessica Turner
      Meghan Beesley
      Lina Nielsen

Men's 100m:
      Hughes hasn't run a 100m since March 13th (10.14) and the last time he tried to double up after talking big about going after Linford's 100m record, he got run out of the medals in Doha without ever lookin convincing in the 100m and was then knocked out of the semi finals in his stronger discipline. We'll have to see what 100m races he runs from here to the Trials to see whether he's going to seriously double up again.

So far this season it's been CJ Ujah who has looked the best out of those with the standard so far, not only running 10.03 early doors but also racing well too. Will Gemili want to double up like he did in Doha? Especially with the less than stellar racing he's done so far over 200m? As for Prescod... who freakin' knows any more with that dude. So my view is that its still up in the air who will be going to Tokyo in the men's 100m, with Ujah edging ahead as one of the candidates to get one of the seats.

Men's 800m:
      One of the races of the British Championships.

Rowden looked serene in Goteborg yesterday in his second appearance and first win of the summer season having gotten the standard in Doha the previous week. Canny racer who can run in slow or fast paced races, definitely a strong favourite for the top two places and would almost certainly be selected if he finished in the top 3.

Langford got roasted by up and coming Euro U20 champ Oliver Dustin at Manchester a week or so ago and hasn't looked good all season so far. Definitely on the outside looking in at this stage.

Webb looked well short of the form that moved him up to #2 on the British all time list indoors behind Elliot Gile's record breaking run in Torun in March, when he was off the pace in the recent Doha Diamond League 800m, where Dan Rowden ran 1:44. Has the class and grit to improve in the next couple of weeks and could be in amongst the top contenders come the Trials.

Agree with Phillipo (?!) about Wightman. He's been working on his speed for his main event the 1500m and I don't see him doubling up in Tokyo.... But *is* encouraging that his speed work is obviously coming off.

Burgin is the big "Joker" in the pack. His Ostrava European U20 record run was outstanding and shows that his incredible talent is still very much there. If he sticks to the tactics that brought him success at the European U18's in 2018, taking it out for the gun and running from the front as an impromptu pace maker... and hangs on for an auto selection or a top 3 placing.... Then there could be at least a couple of folks mentioned in this list who will be very disappointed.

Elliot Giles began his outdoor season yesterday in an ultra low key meet at Wimbeldon, a short training run away from the famed tennis Grand Slam venue, with a convincing and confident 3:40.3x in the 1500m, an outdoor PB (though he ran 3:36.90 indoors in Febuary, 9th all time UK indoors). He looked fit and strong out there, but was the obvious class of the field and was never going to be challenged. Whenever he shows up next in 800m (hopefully against more capable opposition), will be a better indicator of where Giles is currently. If it was Torun-run Elliot, then he'd be a big favourite to get to Tokyo. If he's a bit off the pace though, then he could be in trouble in one of the most loaded events. (Plus there is still time for more runners to get the standard, making things even *more* exciting!)

Men's 1500m:
      Another tasty line up, though perhaps not quite as crowded as the 800m.

Josh Kerr has run an 800m, 1500m and 5000m, less than a second off the standards in the first two, and just 10 seconds off the final event standard with in a new PB (13:23.78). He showed in Doha as a 22 year old that he was a very capable, talented runner, finishing in a very creditable 6th place in a UK U23 record. He has the speed to do well in a slower run, last lap burn up affair with his 800m speed, and has the speed endurance to perform in a faster, evenly paced race. A strong candidate to be in the top 2, though he'd no doubt like to confirm the 1500m standard in the next couple of weeks. If he does that and finished in 3rd, then he'll likely get the UKA call up.

Jake Heyward recently broke Neil Horsfield's 31 year old Welsh 1500m record and is looking great form so far in his opening 2 races of his season. The 22 year old former European U20 and U18 1500m champion certainly is now one of the favourites for the European U23's in July, as well as being a contender for a place in the top 2 in the trials.

Jake Wightman with his 800m speed, is always going to be a threat in a slow, championship-style race, but his 3:29.47 capability makes him one of the most well rounded middle distance runners Britain has produced in at least 25 years... I would be *amazed* if he's not punched his ticket to Tokyo by the time the Trials are done.

Charlie Grice should be one of the favourites along with Wightman and Kerr, but the poor tatics he displayed in missing out on Doha selection following his 3:30 run in Monaco a month earlier, plus his general lack of effectiveness in major championships, means that Grice is a potentially fragile pick for selection to the Olympics. He's recent 3:33 in Portland shows that he'll always do well in paced races, but anything slow is very much a potential banana skin for him.

(Will continue in my next post.)

Comment

My calls would be:
        M100m - Ujah, Hughes (I don't think Gemili or Prescod will run the 100m)
        M800m - Rowden (classiest British 800m going), Burgin (assuming he is fit), Giles
        M1500m - Wightman, Kerr (top 2, by a decent distance), Heyward unless someone like Copeland hits form
        W100m - Asher-Smith, Neita, Lansiquot
        W200m - Asher-Smith, Dobbin (Hunt is not in form and Williams won't do 200m)
        W800m - Reekie, Hodgkinson, Bell (although if Baker runs 0.04 faster I can see her making it)
        W1500m - Muir, Snowden (Reekie, Weightman, McColgan won't double, not sure McDonald is in shape)
        W5000m - Weightman, McColgan, Courtney-Bryant (on the assumption she races
        W400h - Knight, Turner, Beesley (think she will manage to beat Nielsen who has been a little flakey)

Comment

My calls would be:
          M100m - Ujah, Hughes (I don't think Gemili or Prescod will run the 100m)
          M800m - Rowden (classiest British 800m going), Burgin (assuming he is fit), Giles
          M1500m - Wightman, Kerr (top 2, by a decent distance), Heyward unless someone like Copeland hits form
          W100m - Asher-Smith, Neita, Lansiquot
          W200m - Asher-Smith, Dobbin (Hunt is not in form and Williams won't do 200m)
          W800m - Reekie, Hodgkinson, Bell (although if Baker runs 0.04 faster I can see her making it)
          W1500m - Muir, Snowden (Reekie, Weightman, McColgan won't double, not sure McDonald is in shape)
          W5000m - Weightman, McColgan, Courtney-Bryant (on the assumption she races
          W400h - Knight, Turner, Beesley (think she will manage to beat Nielsen who has been a little flakey)
          mcdonald isnt in shape, instagram video today of her running on a treadmill with one of those plastic things round her torso, tagged first run in a long time

Comment

The Giles/Rowden/Burgin trio makes an enticing combo. Though there's 9 years between them, they almost represent 3 generations of 800m runners, each with a strong case that they are the one to beat.

Comment

Women's 100m:

Dina Asher-Smith is about as no-brainer a pick as you can make. Her 11.35 100m victory over Sha'Carri Richardson, Okagbare and SAFP in the horrendous conditions at Gateshead a couple of weeks ago was run into the teeth of a chilly -3.1 m/s headwind. The same run in still air and more seasonal conditions was at least a 10.90-ish run; with a legal tailwind, it would have possibly been close to her British record. There is no question of her being in the top 2 in Manchester later this month, with only injury likely to get in her way.

Daryll Neita is looking the best of the others with the standard, having run competitively in the races she competed in so far this outdoor season, though I'm sure she realises that she should be getting closer to running times under 11.10 at her age and with her talents. Currently favourite to get the 2nd auto selection spot behind Asher-Smith.

Imani Lansiquot hasn't looked at her best so far in the outdoor season so will need to do a lot of work to be in contention for top 2 auto spots.

Asha Phillip is a gutsy runner who will try to make the team (and is often at her best in the trials) but I think her time as a regular on the individual team is at an end unless there is significant improvement on her form so far.

An outsider pick for me would be Krystal Awuah.... Was a sensation as a junior athlete, winning a World Junior bronze in 2018 and later that year running the fastest 100m by a teenager since Dina Asher Smith back in 2014. However ever since then she has struggled to push on, and this year has looked rather ropey in her races so far. Personally I think her best distance will end up being the 200m.

Women's 200m:

If Dina Asher-Smith was a no-brainer over the 100m, then it's even more so over the distance she is the current world champion at. I would like to see her run the 200m in Manchester, but I think she'll only compete in the shorter sprint and get preselected on times for the longer sprint.

Beth Dobbin has shown a heartening return to form after a patchy 2019, running her current PB of 22.50 at the Anniversary Games that year but was unable to hold that form through into the world championships, then not running at all in the Covid-effected 2020 season. I still feel that her future is in the 400m, but so far this year she's shown herself to be a very capable backup to DAS. Mostly likely to be in the top 2 come the British Championships.

Unlike MysteryBrick I'm still very much looking forward to what Amy Hunt will do this year. Her one outing this season was at a cold, wet and windy Birmingham at the depths of the rubbish May we had weather-wise in this country. Running 23.73 into -1.0 wind is still Amy's 6th fastest ever run and I still think she has plenty more to offer yet to come. There's no indication of any injury worries so hopefully we'll see what she's capable of the next time she's on the track. Plus being still 19, its very possible her main priorities are to have a crack at the World Juniors in July rather than the Olympic Games.

Jodie Williams has run a bunch of 200m this year, but that 51.01 in May is likely to be the moment where she realises that 400m will be her calling from now on, as Katherine Merry eventually discovered. Might still accept the invite to run the shorter distance at the trials, but I'd be surprised if she tried to double up.

Women's 800m:

The spectacle of the British Championships.

Laura Muir might make things a little easier for both the selectors and her fellow competitors by not being in the 800m during the Trials - all of her quick times over the distance are all in the name of speed work and making sure she is closer to the business end of an Olympic 1500m final with the likes of Hassan, Dibaba and Tesgey around.

Jemma Reekie has been super impressive over the 800m both indoors and outdoors and would be the narrow favourite to be in the top 2 auto qualifying spots, but it certainly won't be easy with so many other talented women to go up against.

Keely Hodgkinson could very well be the most naturally talented 800m runner we've had in, well, a couple of seconds considering the sheer depth of talent at the moment! After her record breaking run in Ostrava got a bit of a reality check in Doha, but I'm not sure it will end up being much of a setback for her in the long run. Has a finishing kick as well as more sustained pace in an evenly paced race. Not going to make any predictions because there are too many to name currently who could get the top 2 spots.

Alex Bell has worked tirelessly to improve after missing out on selection so unluckily in 2019 and now has run the qualifying time and then some. Also had an earlier outing in cold, wet conditions in a BMC race where she front race a 2:00 flat with no help and strong headwind. She'll be right up there for the top 2 auto spots and would absolutly get selected if she finished 3rd.

Adelle Tracey will also be right up there I reckon, "smiling" all the way to the finish line. Ran that fab PB behind Reekie and Muir at the USTAF Golden Games that secured the qualifying standard and she will always be a threat in a slower run race with her kick.

Now here's where it gets tricky, because there are a *bunch* of runners who are very close to the Olympic standard (Ellie Baker) who could get it before the Trials and then put themselves right in the mix in the race itself, or athletes who are outside the standard but are more than capable of getting into the top 2 in the sometimes unpredictable nature of these tense championship races... like a Shelanya Oksan-Clarke who only has a 2:04 to her name so far this year but has previously won the Trials and is very astute tactically... Or a Hannah Segrave... Or perhaps it'll be Isabelle Boffey, European U20 champion in 2019, who might throw a spanner in the works with an inspired run?

All I know is that the women's 800m final will be must watch television at the British Championships!

(Final part of my reply will be posted later)

Comment

Dai Greene qualifying hopes 'getting slimmer' because of travel restrictions

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/57366279

I think some of us on this forum have, in the past, questioned why certain athletes have chased around the obscure parts of Europe in search of races ... I know these are unprecedented times, and weather conditions in UK are not coducive, but could UKA have not put on a 'dress rehearsel' event with the aim of giving athletes the maximum opporunity to find QTs (look how swimming has approached it), but then when the 'Olympic' stadium, that was supposed to provide an athletics legacy, cant be arsed to host ... hmmm... athletics ... I am not surprised some athletes will struggle to get the qualifiers... btw which is the 'fastest' track in the UK?

Comment

I agree - UKA should have pushed to get more quality races on...the MD crew are well-served on the whole, but having a series of local and regional races (a bit like Birmingham Uni is putting on) for all events would help.

I’m not sure Dai can blame the lack of races solely, though - he hasn’t run the QT since 2013...it’s a tough QT for the men, as globally the event has moved on. Only 12 British men have ever run faster than the QT. It will be a tough ask for any of our guys to make it

Comment

• MysteryBrick
                    MysteryBrick commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think those events have really generally been in place - in the MD, the BMC have people pretty covered, and there are a selection of high quality sprint and hurdle meets at Lee Valley/Nuneaton. Really, people making the standard is likely not due to competition opportunity but ability to achieve the standard...

If I was any of the other British 1500m runners, the fact that Piers Copeland now has the 1500m standard would make me crap myself, as he always has a crazy kick in slow races.

Comment

So, Oliver Dustin has thrown a very skinny ginger cat among the pigeons with his performance, and the fact that he is above all a racer. Looking at his Power of 10, he has only not won 1 800m race in 2019 and 2021 - I'm ignoring 2020 as everyone gets a bye for that year as far as I am concerned - and that was the England U20 champs where he tried to go with Max Burgin's mad pace, something he clearly has learned from based on Nice. Assuming this wasn't a total bolt from the blue, I can find strong arguments for him, Dan Rowden, Max Burgin and Elliot Giles, and that is ignoring the fact that Jamie Webb, Kyle Langford and Guy Learmonth all have the standard as well. I wouldn't indeed be surprised to see Giles in the 1500m instead of the 800m, as that seems like the race he has a better chance in.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
                      Occasional Hope commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Elliot Giles is only entered in the 800 at trials. He could well get the third discretionary place at 1500, depending on how the contenders there do.

So, Oliver Dustin has thrown a very skinny ginger cat among the pigeons with his performance, and the fact that he is above all a racer. Looking at his Power of 10, he has only not won 1 800m race in 2019 and 2021 - I'm ignoring 2020 as everyone gets a bye for that year as far as I am concerned - and that was the England U20 champs where he tried to go with Max Burgin's mad pace, something he clearly has learned from based on Nice. Assuming this wasn't a total bolt from the blue, I can find strong arguments for him, Dan Rowden, Max Burgin and Elliot Giles, and that is ignoring the fact that Jamie Webb, Kyle Langford and Guy Learmonth all have the standard as well. I wouldn't indeed be surprised to see Giles in the 1500m instead of the 800m, as that seems like the race he has a better chance in.
                    Max Burgin is not, as far as we are informed , fully fit and I have not seen him compete in the last two years in two rounds and with the usual 800m scramble and rat race, especially in a more medium pace that we can reasonably expect; For me, the UK Trials are not likely to be , in any way, comparable to the multiple one off paced races that we have seen for the last few weeks.One thing for sure a fascinating race is in store.Dustin, Giles, Rowden for starters.
                    May I ask the posters what type of race they expect,, what first lap time, and who, if anyone, will have the sense not to walk round the first lap;
                    I expect in terms of time something between 1.45.5 to 1.46.00.
                    Any thoughts posters?

Comment

• MysteryBrick
                      MysteryBrick commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think the most interesting races may even be the Heats - at the moment, there are 25 entries, which likely means 4 heats and the winner of each heat and 4 fastest times going through. Thus, people are incentivised to make the race fast, as otherwise it is a crapshoot with only the winner going through. We're likely to see some big names not even making the final.

In terms of the final itself, if Burgin is there and makes it then it won't be slow, and I would not be surprised to see a 1:43 winning the race.
                  Working...
                  X