No announcement yet.

UK Outdoor Results - June 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Josh Kerr at the stump down meet just set a PB of 3.31.55 in winning by 4 seconds!

Comment

I was just going to post that. Instead, I'll just say [email protected]!!!

Comment

Brilliant!

Comment

Originally posted by philipo View Post
          Josh Kerr at the stump down meet just set a PB of 3.31.55 in winning by 4 seconds!
          With that performance, Kerr moves up to 7th on the UK all time list over the distance and at the age of 23 years and 7 months, he's also the youngest Britain to run that fast over 1500m too.

(And according to Ian Hodge's Twitter feed, Kerr ran that time in a race with no pacemakers either!)

Comment

• LuckySpikes
            LuckySpikes commented
            Editing a comment
            Excellent stuff!

• MysteryBrick
            MysteryBrick commented
            Editing a comment
            I think there is still so much rose-tinted myopia around middle-distance running in the '80s, that people don't appreciate *just* how good things are at the moment.

From 1986-1993 the 10th best UK 1500m time (which is a useful metric for high quality depth and event health) was sub-3:40, with a peak of 3:37.2 in 1986 itself. It then didn't dip below 3:40 until 2010 (3:39.84) and then every nearly year from 2016 onwards:
            2016: 3:39.41 (11 under 3:40)
            2017: 3:38.35 (13 under 3:40)
            2018: 3:40.42 (9 under 3:40)
            2019: 3:39.02 (13 under 3:40)
            2020: 3:38.30 (12 under 3:40)
            2021: 3:38.79 (13 under 3:40)

Over the same time period, the 50th best time has been at or around the 3:44 level, which is where it was during those aforementioned glory years, and indeed this year it currently stands at 3:44.51 on the 4th of June. And right at the sharp end, athletes ranked 2, 5 and 7 on the UK all-time list will take to the start line in the 1500m at the UK Champs later this month.

• RunUnlimited
            RunUnlimited commented
            Editing a comment
            MysteryBrick A point very well made, thank you.

Of course the reason it's considered the "Golden Era" as Caterhatch describe it, is that the likes of Coe, Ovett and Cram, the guys at the head of the cue in that era, not only ran super-fast times/set records, but they also won major medals and became Olympic or World Champions. But that Golden Era was also at a time when the East African surge in distance running was mostly limited to the longer distances, like the 5000/10000m and the Marathon, and even then you would still get medalists from European countries.
            Things changed by the late 80's, when Ovett was already retired and Coe's and Cram's bodies were starting to breakdown more and more frequently. And by the 90's, African runners began to dominate everything from the 800m, through to the 10000m, which happened at the same time that GB went through a dulrums in the middle to long distances.

Perhaps perceptions will start to change when (and hopefully soon) the likes of Kerr, Wightman, Grice, O'Hare and others can manage to make it onto an Olympic or World Championship podium, showing that they can mix it with the best in the world again on a regular basis.

@Mysterybrick

Your idea that 'the 10th best ,,, (which is a useful metric for high quality depth and event health)' got me thinking... So I looked at Po10 and my 'metric' was number of athletes in the Top 10 all time of an event that are competing now... I did it for women's events - and couldnt think where else to post it

100m - 5 athletes could be considered as actively competing now
          200m - 6
          400m - 0 quite telling! (Laviai Nielsen is 12th)
          800m - 4 (I included Ms. Sharp)
          1500m - 4
          5000m - 5
          10000m - 4
          3000SC - 3 to 6 (Mcolgan isn't running it anymore, and I am not sure of the status of 2 others, Waite and Lake)
          100h - 2
          400h - 4 (although I Included Eilidh Doyle)

HJ - 3
          PV - 5
          LJ - 5
          TJ - 1 (I didn't include Sara Proctor)
          SP - 3
          DT - 1
          HT - 4 (with Sophie Hitchin)
          JV -1
          Hep - 4 (I included Morgan Lake)

Remarkably consistent around 4 to 6 range - could I recall any of my statsitcal analysis from my degree (a long, long time ago) I might be crunching numbers further - but arent you lucky I've forgotten it all!

Comment

Lovely stats but I will await our middle distance athletes actually winning things globally. Might be a while.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
              MysteryBrick commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh yes, it will almost definitely be a while - Wightman is talented enough in a more normal era, bit I fear that when Cheruiyot is running 3:29 from the front solo there is not much anyone else can do.

• jjimbojames
              jjimbojames commented
              Editing a comment
              I think this is the point - we simply cannot expect, now that athletics is truly a worldwide participation sport - to use “medals on a global stage” as the only barometer for success. There’s many, many more athletes/countries included (even having gone from USSR to multiple Eastern European countries) and so the number of athletes competing is much higher and the quality of athletes is much better.

If Paula hadn’t taken the WC marathon title, she’d be left with just European and CWG medals, after multiple “failings” on the track - yet around the world, people will tell you she is one of the best in history. If we only celebrate the medals, people will be bashed despite doing well....and then we’ll complain when they drop out of the sport and say it’s not worth it!

Originally posted by philipo View Post
            Lovely stats but I will await our middle distance athletes actually winning things globally. Might be a while.
            Anyone who can run a 3:31 *without* pacemakers (according to a reply on Ian Hodge's Twitter page, there was a pacemaker in Kerr's race, up to the 800m mark) has the potential to get on any podium, Olympic, Worlds, European and Commonwealth, so I'd say Kerr definitely has the potential to medal, as does Wightman. It will be tremendously difficult to do so. If Kerr and Wightman can reproduce their Doha results, I'd be very pleased. I'd be over the Moon if they managed to medal in Tokyo!
            Last edited by RunUnlimited; 05-06-21, 11:20.

Comment

I think both Kerr and Wightman have the speed to be in the mix, and both have fared quite well tactically, which has often been Grice’s downfall - he is plenty quick enough, but has been found wanting in non-paced races. He seems to have spent time working on that over 800m, so we shall see. It’s a shame none of the guys have ever hurdled properly, as there’s normally a bronze going relatively cheaply in the s/c

Comment

Thought i might as wel ldo the same 'metric' for the men .... Number of Active athletes in the Po10 all time top ten ...

100m - 8! (A stretch but I included Dasaolu and Fearon, plus Chambers)

200m - 4
                400m - 3
                800m - 2
                1500m - 5 (including Mo)
                5000m -3
                10000m - 4 (included Chris Thompson)

110h - 1
                400h - 1

HJ - 2
                LJ -1
                PV - 5
                TJ - 2
                SP - 1
                DT - 2
                HT - 4
                JV - 0
                Dec - 3

apart from the rather 100 'outlier' the number of active male athletes in the All time top 10 looks fewer than the women

Comment

• MysteryBrick
                  MysteryBrick commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't think the 100m is massively an outlier - historically, we had Linford, Chambers and Gardener under 10 seconds, and now we have Ujah, Hughes, Prescod, Gemili, Mitchell-Blake, Fearon for that one weird period in 2016, Dasaolu although he is now 34. On both sides, British flat running as nearly as good as it has even been in 100-200 and 800-1500, it's just that we can't crack 400 at the moment (for some reason).

• carterhatch
                  carterhatch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I should have clarified what i meant when using the term 'outlier', in the sense that relative to the results of active male athletes in other events, which were, on the whole, lower than the women... i also meant to note that where with some justification we are all very impressed by the current crop of 800 runners, only two are in the all time top 10

• MysteryBrick
                  MysteryBrick commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Very true carterhatch - it is a tough list to get on! Although given 12th, 13th and 14th are also currently running I would be unsurprised if that number is up to 4 by the end of 2021.

78.23 pb and Olympic qualifier for Taylor Campbell in Hungary!

Comment

That performance was coming from Taylor Campbell but great that he has done it none the less.

Comment

Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
                    Tremendous!!

2nd on our all time list.

He’s still not 25. Surely 80 is now a matter of time.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
                      MysteryBrick commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Also puts him 10th in the World this year. Suddenly both he and Miller (now 12th) are in the frame for possibly sneaking a medal, given they're only a metre off 3rd (Fajdek and Winkler are a class apart).

Bit shocked to read that one of our best ever javelin prospects Dan Pembroke is now competing as a para athlete in a visual impairment category.

He’s won the Euro F13 title with a European record of 66.75.

Congratulations and all the best to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ursus View Post
                      Bit shocked to read that one of our best ever javelin prospects Dan Pembroke is now competing as a para athlete in a visual impairment category.

He’s won the Euro F13 title with a European record of 66.75.

Congratulations and all the best to him.
                      I was actually going to mention this result... I pretty sure folks here were wondering what happened to Pembroke after his junior days, then I looked at his Po10 page and everything up to 2013 was fine.... then not a single result from that moment until 2019.

I'll take a wild guess that whatever led to his unfortunate visual impairment occured in that 5 year absense. Well done for him winning that gold yesterday!

Comment

Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
                      Well done to Taylor Campbell! Wonder if that is going to push his younger brother Bayley to follow in his footsteps now.

Comment

Working...
                      X