No announcement yet.

UK Outdoor Results - June 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dina looked sublime there - Can't see her off the 200 podium in Tokyo.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
      MysteryBrick commented
      Editing a comment
      Off the podium?! With no injury it is gold or silver, can only see Miller-Uibo beating her.

• Christy93
      Christy93 commented
      Editing a comment
      @MysteryBrick

There are more than a few wildcards; Gabi Thomas & Sha'Carri Richardson (ugh) look to be big unknows, and who knows where the Mboma & Maslingi story ends up. Agree though, I see gold or silver more likely than no medal at all.

• MysteryBrick
      MysteryBrick commented
      Editing a comment
      It is the fact that she *always* raises her game in Champs (200m SBs 2015-2019 are in World Champs final, Olympic final, World Champs final, European Champs final, World Champs final) that makes me confident.

• I am surprised those of you following NCAA haven't mentioned this but Ian Hodge is reporting that Nicky Yeargin 'clocks a 400m PB -in cool weather- of 50.96 to be the fastest qualifier for the final-- third fastest ever by a Scot.'

Wow - I certainly didnt predict that at the beggining of the season. Add the w400m to the list of very exciting races at trials.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
      Occasional Hope commented
      Editing a comment
      She's a really improving talent. I think I was the first person to mention her on this forum

• carterhatch
      carterhatch commented
      Editing a comment
      I wonder if both her and Amber Anning will have enough steam left for trials and, indeed Tokyo, with such a full-on NCAA season? I still think Jodie Williams and Laviai Neilsen will be running the individual events at the Olympics, but the third berth is wide open our own Stew-coach might have something to say, with his charge Yasmin Liverpool, and two stalwarts in Zoey Clark and Emily Diamond will both be in the reckoning for the relays at the very least, and Ami Pipi has been long overdue a rewrite of her PB ... just to make the final at trials will need, what, mid 51?

• carterhatch Well on Amber Anning last night/this morning, she had just about her worst run of the outdoor campaign so far. Drawn in lane 9, it was always likely to be a difficult task but she took it out way too fast in the opening 200m and faded badly in the last 120m, ending up in 5th place in a time of 52.36. Whether that was fatigue or what, it was poor run and I'm sure she'd tell you that herself. At least she'll have special dispensation, along with other British athletes who competed there to not have to be at the English Athletics U20/U23 championships on the 19th/20th June, but will the added rest until the British Athletics Championships a week later be enough to recover if she is tired?

Well done to Nicole Yeargin though, 50.96 is the fastest time run by a Scottish 400m runner since Lee McConnell was still competing! Could she go even quicker in the final itself? She'll be guaranteed a good lane, likely right next to Athing Mu, so we'll see how that goes over the weekend!

Comment

• carterhatch
      carterhatch commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the update on Ms. Anning. Perhaps this poor race will be a blesing in the longer term... As I have said, the w400 is going to be an exciting race ar trials.

• Occasional Hope
      Editing a comment
      I think poor Amber is cooked for the season now, but Nicole hopefully hasn't peaked yet.

• Well the championships have now been amended to heats, Semi and final (Fri, Sat and Sun) with a late ish semi on sat and early final on sunday so i dont foresee any "qualifying times" being ran at the champs and may suck out the pace.

Nicole is looking great really impressed

Comment

• carterhatch
      carterhatch commented
      Editing a comment
      oh, that is a very heavy schedule! Is this purely due to numbers? Is there no 'seeding' - as I think sprinters have had in the past - for top echelon to skip early rounds... surely the organisers could apply this? What is the qualifying format for finals, top two (from three sems) and two fastest.... Good luck to all your group, Stew-coach...

• LoveSprints1
      LoveSprints1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure why they have changed it. It's dragging it out for the 400m runners plus the additional cost of staying in Manchester for those unfunded! The 200m has more athletes who've accepted places and remains one day only and heat to final.

Great run by Yeargin. No reason to think she and Anning won't be ready for the trials after some rest. That's going to be one of the finals of the championships.

• Stew-Coach
      Stew-Coach commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah very heavy, no exclusions that been told, just the three rounds now. Which of course limits options and chances of fast times.

Yep gets expensive, and begs belief on the current advised restrictions for coaches too. (initial notifications state, no access to indoor warm up area or the stadium seating. (an outdoor warm up will be made available apparently)

• We all know that the indoor and outdoor usa college season sucks the strength out of 90 percent of the athletes of all abilities. That's why the pros especially outside the US have come late to competition even with a fairly early start to athletics this year. Yeargin is promising, fingers crossed and just see what happens. S he will have WC and CG next year and WC the year after and then Paris OG. Lots of time. I will pay attention to her 200m times in the next couple of years.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
      MysteryBrick commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by philipo View Post
      That's why the pros especially outside the US have come late to competition even with a fairly early start to athletics this year.
      Is this the same Philipo who was bemoaning the lack of Olympic qualifiers from UK athletes in mid-May?

• Loop-guru
      Loop-guru commented
      Editing a comment
      It is but I though Philipo made some valid points there. I was looking at Joshua Lay and his last completed season of 2019. That year he ran two 800's and around 10 1500's. Of the 10 1500's pretty much all were trials and heats and finals of major championships, The only one that was'nt was a Loughborough invitational. Different event sure but now look at Nicole who has already run 22 times this year. The interesting thing about Nicole is that she does'nt have any times on Power of 10 before 2019 indicating that she is newish to the sport and with most of 2020 written off this is only her 2nd full season so I see immense potential here. Based on her 200 m pb alone which could improve further she could go low 50's this year.

• MysteryBrick
      MysteryBrick commented
      Editing a comment
      She doesn't have a Power of 10 because she was US-registered before 2019.

And I completely agree that starting the season later makes sense, I was more pointing out that advocating starting the season late and also complaining about the lack of high quality performances early is a little bit of cakeism...

• Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post
    carterhatch Well on Amber Anning last night/this morning, she had just about her worst run of the outdoor campaign so far. Drawn in lane 9, it was always likely to be a difficult task but she took it out way too fast in the opening 200m and faded badly in the last 120m, ending up in 5th place in a time of 52.36. Whether that was fatigue or what, it was poor run and I'm sure she'd tell you that herself. At least she'll have special dispensation, along with other British athletes who competed there to not have to be at the English Athletics U20/U23 championships on the 19th/20th June, but will the added rest until the British Athletics Championships a week later be enough to recover if she is tired?

Well done to Nicole Yeargin though, 50.96 is the fastest time run by a Scottish 400m runner since Lee McConnell was still competing! Could she go even quicker in the final itself? She'll be guaranteed a good lane, likely right next to Athing Mu, so we'll see how that goes over the weekend!
    Finally got to watch Yeargin's race today on BT Sport/ESPN a few minutes ago and in complete contrast to Anning's race from the same lane 9, she managed to keep her pace nice and even throughout, and then came on strong in the final 70m to get that place in the final. Looked very strong and composed, with an ecomonical running style well suited to the 400m.

Comment

• Ian Hodge has just tweeted 'Fresh from his Olympic qualifier three days ago Lawrence okoye improves again today to 67.13m in Sweden as he closes in on the worlds very best'

I say again, who would bet against Okoye on the podium at Tokyo?

Comment

• Mystery behave I am still sad about the number of our qualifiers running at every pisspot meet in europe.after a late start.
        There are a lot of events that we are appalling at: remember all those jumpy and throwy events.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
          MysteryBrick commented
          Editing a comment
          Currently have qualifiers in 3 men's jumps, 3 women's jumps, 2 men's throws and 1 women's throw. Throws are bad, yes, but I can't think of any non-US country with that level of coverage in the jumps.

• 6.94 (0.0) for Lorraine Ugen over in the US (thanks, again, to Ian Hodge). Fantastic to see a chronically underrated athlete getting back to her best.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
          Editing a comment
          Excellent.

• carterhatch
          carterhatch commented
          Editing a comment
          Marvelous news to wake up to, and I agree with you Christy93, highly under rated athlete - went up in my esteem the time she anchored Team England 4x100 to win Commonwealth Gold ... Ian Hodge should be given a special direct feed to this forum, thank you for all your efforts.

• 1:45.80 PB for McLear in 4th and 1:46.76 PB for Bizimana in 6th - pace was a bit too hot for them at the front, but excellent performances for the pair of U23s nonetheless!

Patrick Dever backed up his 10000m win with a 13:19.85 PB for 6th in the 5000m - a Tulsa athlete, is he the next Mark Scott?

Comment

• Occasional Hope
          Editing a comment
          He's entered in the 5000 at the trials.

• Originally posted by MysteryBrick View Post
        1:45.80 PB for McLear in 4th and 1:46.76 PB for Bizimana in 6th - pace was a bit too hot for them at the front, but excellent performances for the pair of U23s nonetheless!

Patrick Dever backed up his 10000m win with a 13:19.85 PB for 6th in the 5000m - a Tulsa athlete, is he the next Mark Scott?
        Mark Scott, the athlete who ran a very moderate race here last w/e way below his best in winter over there, when it hardly mattered.
        Well done to Patrick Dever by the way. I will follow his progress.
        As for the numerous Brits who live,study and compete in USA, I can think of a large number of British athletes, our very greatest , who never needed the Merkan experience

Comment

• MysteryBrick
          MysteryBrick commented
          Editing a comment
          Mark Scott did what he needed to do to secure Olympic qualification, and is still the second fastest Brit over 10000m ever. If he runs badly at Tokyo, then we can have that discussion...

• 13.22 for Holly Mills in 100mh at Arona Multi Events. Coverage is Meh! but there's no VPN needed so small mercies :-)
        Edit: Better coverage now - the camera is now sideways instead of head on at the LJ pit!
        Last edited by felix51; 12-06-21, 11:53.

Comment

• Yet another pb for Emily Borthwick, 1.93 in Geneva, and beating Morgan Lake as well.

Comment

• Not a great race from Yasmin Liverpool unfortunately in Geneva a few minutes ago (sorry Stew-Coach !), trailing into last place with a 52.07 clocking, not that far off her PB but I'm sure she'd have liked to be closer to the top athletes. The race was won incidently by Lieke Klaver, equalling her PB of 50.98

Comment

• Stew-Coach
              Stew-Coach commented
              Editing a comment
              Not having the best run of it since her pb

Has had only one track session since the team champs so this was just a tester to see how body was reacting.

• Also earlier in Geneva, Chris McAllister ran poorly in the "A" race of the 400m hurdles, coming last in 50.44

Efe Okoro in the B race came 4th in a season's best of 50.36.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
              Editing a comment
              Okoro followed up with a 46.35 pb on the flat.
          Working...
          X