British Athletics Championships Manchester Regional Arena  25th – 27th June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ladyloz View Post
    Seems British Athletics are arranging a special race for him to get the qualifying time for the 10K on the Friday night in Manchester.
    Seriously???

Comment

Inevitably Mo's record gets him some special treatment but on balance I am OK with it as long as others are afforded the opportunity to switch from the 5K etc. as Mysterybrick said.

Comment

400m for both male and female has now apparently reverted to heats and finals (friday and saturday)

Making those heats.... Spicy!

Comment

• carterhatch
        carterhatch commented
        Editing a comment
        common sense prevails ... better for the athletes, better for performances, better spectacle - good luck to your runners, Stew-coach ... PBs all round!

Special treatment for the big name, hmm. I hope other British athletes get the opportunity too.

Comment

Inevitably Mo's record gets him some special treatment but on balance I am OK with it as long as others are afforded the opportunity to switch from the 5K etc. as Mysterybrick said.
        there will be the usual moaning and I personally think his days are likely over, but I have no problem with Mo getting special consideration.
        None of us will be around, if and when the next guy representing the UK wins the OGs and WCs that he has done,over 5 K and 10 K during his illustrious career. The public memory is rather short.

Comment

Adding a 10000 to an existing meeting is much easier to organise than the decathlon that was put on at short notice at Crystal Palace in 1992 so Daley Thompson could try and get the qualifier for Barcelona.

Comment

Nick Miller not entered in the hammer. Has he been given special permission not to take part/auto selection?

Comment

Can anyone confirm if the Champonships will be on TV - I assume BBC - I did google, but I wasn;t sure if the info i found related to this year's event.

Taliking of prime time TV, imagine, Sunday afternoon, the hype of so many great events has convinced the sport-neutral British public to switch over to watch athletiics, and the joy of a CJ commentary, for what event, back to back, 5k walks... who ever did the scheduling has done no favours for the sport ,,,

Comment

• carterhatch
                carterhatch commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, Occasional Hope, that iis the page I found, and as it mentioned only two days, made me think I was looking at last years! With football/tennis et al, all happening, I guess the Beeb are stretched but the two 800s are going to be on Sunday, and possibly the best ever domestic races over this distance, and are we really not going to be able to see it live?

• Stew-Coach
                Stew-Coach commented
                Editing a comment
                That TV schedule timing makes no sense

• drobbie
                drobbie commented
                Editing a comment
                it does say extended coverage available on the Red Button, you would hope that means sunday too

^ I imagine that Sunday will be live on the Red Button, iPlayer etc.

Comment

• carterhatch
                carterhatch commented
                Editing a comment
                I hope so , but with or without CJ commentary? LOL

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
              ^ I imagine that Sunday will be live on the Red Button, iPlayer etc.
              Lucky, the people who organise what track and field we see on TV are, in my view, little better than an overpaid bunch
              of ignoramuses when it comes to athletics, which, sadly, is way down the list of sport interest with the GB public.The Beeb do little to enhance that interest.; they can manage lots of Wimbledon and Football plus oodles of diversity, so fashionable, but not much else.

Comment

Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
                Friday and Saturday but apparently not Sunday: https://www.britishathletics.org.uk/how-to-watch/
                And its hardly "behind closed doors" is it?! I also thought I was reading about 2020, not 2021.

1300 tickets were available on Tuesday 15 June to families of athletes, etc. Socially distanced seats. So there is a bit of a crowd.

There's certainly no ambiguity about the Football and Tennis TV schedules.
                Last edited by felix51; 16-06-21, 11:33.

Comment

Am pretty sure that link is for last year, all the info seems to fit with that and not the 2021 event. The press Release regarding the 10K makes reference to streaming only. There is certainly no reference to it on my TV Planner for Friday.

MO FARAH TO ATTACK OLYMPIC 10,000M QUALIFYING TIME AT MÜLLER BRITISH CHAMPS | British Athletics

Comment

Worth remembering that the weekend BBC schedule is not agreed yet, because 26th and 27th are the first days of knockout matches at Euro 2020 and the BBC do not know what matches they are showing. And that takes priority!

Comment

Am pretty sure that link is for last year, all the info seems to fit with that and not the 2021 event. The press Release regarding the 10K makes reference to streaming only. There is certainly no reference to it on my TV Planner for Friday.

MO FARAH TO ATTACK OLYMPIC 10,000M QUALIFYING TIME AT MÜLLER BRITISH CHAMPS | British Athletics
                      My EPG this morning shows the Red Button programming for Friday 25 June and from 1630 to 2100 they are showing.......... wait for it! Football. And, no, its not the ubiquitous Euros, but something called the "Copa America", Bolivia v Uruguay, then Chile v Paraguay. At 2100 we are treated to 3 hours of "Springwatch Serenity"!

Firstly, it ain't Spring anymore, and secondly, I am definitely not feeling serene.

Comment

Originally posted by trickstat View Post
                        Adding a 10000 to an existing meeting is much easier to organise than the decathlon that was put on at short notice at Crystal Palace in 1992 so Daley Thompson could try and get the qualifier for Barcelona.
                        Special 10000m at the Champs was absolutely normal until the arrival of the dedicated British 10000m meet a few years back. I’m sure before London 2012 we put them on so that all the Ethiopians could get QTs.

Comment

Working...
                        X