No announcement yet.

British Athletics Championships Manchester Regional Arena  25th – 27th June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The less power selectors have the better IMO, too prone to favouritism and those on funding otherwise. I suspect the majority of athletes would agree. I am with MysteryBrick that the Top 2 is the best option we have. Would love to have the American depth to copy their system but can't have everything.

Comment

I hope all the athletes based overseas get here in time to do any required quarantining before the trials.

Comment

I see Romell Glave was on the list for GB - I know he has been trying for citizenship for a number of years and will be great if he has now received it. He has the potential to go very close to sub 10 this year I suspect.
        Last edited by sprintdude; 06-06-21, 11:48.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
          MysteryBrick commented
          Editing a comment
          Could well make the relay squad given how some others like Edoburun are struggling.

• LoveSprints1
          LoveSprints1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Romell won't be eligible to compete for GB until March 2022. So World's, Europeans and Commonwealth next year are on his radar.

• Occasional Hope
          Occasional Hope commented
          Editing a comment
          He's not entered in the trials this time, but good news if he will be joining us next year - a very promising talent.

Good to see Prescod has accepted his entry for the 100. With CJ and Hughes the only ones showing form this season, gonna be interesting to see who is fine tuned on the day. Gemili usually gets it right for trials, so those 3 would be the top 3 favourites right now.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
          Occasional Hope commented
          Editing a comment
          It will be fascinating to see if the US move and lack of competition is working out for him.

Intriguingly also accepted for the 200m considering he has had no races for 2 years.

Comment

Maybe Prescod is in shape. If he's training with Holloway and handling him, he doesn't need any races to get in the top 2. High risk, there are no excuses, he has to perform or he'll deserve all the brickbats that follow.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
            MysteryBrick commented
            Editing a comment
            Video on his Instagram of him doing a fast 60m at Lee Valley. Not sure why he hasn't raced yet.

"I’ve always said I wanted to do the 100m, 200m and 400m. So he (Holloway) ticks all the boxes."

- Prescod speaking to The Sun earlier this year. Perhaps explains the 200 entry.

Comment

• Laps
            Laps commented
            Editing a comment
            Previously Prescod has explained his avoiding the 200m was because of the injury risk to him from bend running. I guess there is no telling.

Originally posted by Stew-Coach View Post
          Well the championships have now been amended to heats, Semi and final (Fri, Sat and Sun) with a late ish semi on sat and early final on sunday so i dont foresee any "qualifying times" being ran at the champs and may suck out the pace.
          This has really bothered me... There are currently 28 athletes on the 'list' with 24 accepted and 4 'invited' (including Maya Bruney who, as we now know, runs for Italy) . Surely the athletes' health and well being is paramount here (more than ever), plus to get the best performance, UK Athletics must revist this 'amendment', so marginal is the number for three heats straight to final, I am sure by Sunday's deadline for entry things might be a little clearer, and the inevitable withdrawl of one or two athletes, common sense must prevail...

I am sure you , Stew-coach, and others are on the case...

ps... I am also curious as to why more than a handful of w400 runners are listed as 'accepted' for Sunday heats in the 200, including one or two i'd expect to make the final of the w400 ... and there is no DASHER, so I am assuming UK Athletics wont be leaving their world champion out of selection.
          Last edited by carterhatch; 12-06-21, 07:06.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
            MysteryBrick commented
            Editing a comment
            Dina will have dispensation to just run the 100m, which is fine as only 2 women who will be running the 200m have the standard (and only Dobbin is in shape).

Maybe the idea is to replicate as far as possible the actual champs experience? To weed out the one good race and then done types.

Comment

• Loop-guru
            Loop-guru commented
            Editing a comment
            Martyn Rooney

It is a fairly general practice to have 3 rounds once you have enough athletes for 4 first round heats. One downside of having no semis with 4 heats is you then have just 1st place as an auto qualifier.

Comment

Looking at the latest entry lists Muir & Reekie have both accepted the 800 & 1500m!! And Farah has accepted for 5000m.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladyloz View Post
              Looking at the latest entry lists Muir & Reekie have both accepted the 800 & 1500m!! And Farah has accepted for 5000m.
              shame that the weather may be a bit shitty; however its going to be fun.!

Comment

• Ladyloz
                Ladyloz commented
                Editing a comment
                Still over 10 days out so not sure how reliable forecasts are at this stage but my weather app has it as 21 degrees and sunny intervals. For Manchester that's pretty good.

Originally posted by trickstat View Post
              It is a fairly general practice to have 3 rounds once you have enough athletes for 4 first round heats. One downside of having no semis with 4 heats is you then have just 1st place as an auto qualifier.
              It’s not an easy problem to fix. As you point out 2 rounds with 4 semis only allows for 1 Q from each heat. 2 rounds with 3 semis restricts the number of athletes to 24. I don’t think many athletes will be content with 3 rounds either. They introduced the bye system a few years ago in the 100’s, if common sense prevails they will do the same with other events

Comment

• carterhatch
                carterhatch commented
                Editing a comment
                Exactly as you put it , the start list is still in flux (is tonght the deadline for entries?) and has altered sightly, since i last looked, for example with Maya Bruney no longer on it, but I think with Margaret Adoeye now added. There are still 28 in total, with 24 accepted, and UK Athletics have time to use a 'bye' system for this race, For 'spectators' alone the final has the potential to be one of the best ever domestic w400

The Men's 5000m is going to be very interesting, given Mo Farah appears to be going for it as a final attempt at getting to Tokyo, and given he doesn't have the standard he will have to make it fast.

Comment

Seems British Athletics are arranging a special race for him to get the qualifying time for the 10K on the Friday night in Manchester.

Comment

Working...
                X