British Athletics Championships Manchester Regional Arena  25th – 27th June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Athletics Championships Manchester Regional Arena  25th – 27th June

The 2021 Müller British Athletics Championships promises to be scintillating weekend of action, taking place at the Manchester Regional Arena from the 25th – 27th June.

I think it is time we had a place holder for discussion ...

thoughts on "relaxed" entry standards?

Seems to have stirred a few emotions around quality of competition at champs

Comment

• MysteryBrick
      MysteryBrick commented
      Editing a comment
      Where are the standards?

Five weeks to go this w/e to our Champs/Trials, and i looked at P of 10 to see how many British? athletes beat the OG standards during this year so far; personally what athletes achieved in 2019 does nothing for me relative to the OG; 2 years is a long time in this sport. I would not select somebody on the basis of their quals in 2019, but that appears to be the decision.
    Women
    Outdoors and Indoors.
    Neita, DAS, Williams,Reekie, Muir,(x2),Hodgkinson, Tracy, Snowden, McColgan(x3),Ottenden, Judd,Davis, Sember, Porter, Neilsen, Lake,, McKinna, Bradshaw

Men
    Outdoors and Indoors
    Ujah, Hughes, Scott(x2), Thompson, Smith?.,Giles, Webb, Wightman,
    Wow impressive ..NOT. I am not holding my breath that our men might actually achieve an OG qual in a field event, but you never know..
    I know the list above does not include some one- offs in 2019 but as i said means little to me.
    Will there be may more before the selection dates???no single OG standard this year so far in the mens field events.!!
    Maybe we will see a massive series of appropriate marks by both British men and women but i remain to be convinced.

Perhaps a load of our athletes are praying for Rankings qualification but that will not be easy either.
    I think there is a possibility of quals for mens discus, mens Hammer which is very tough at 77.50m. Not much else as i see it.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
      MysteryBrick commented
      Editing a comment
      Since you wrote this, we've had Burgin, Rowden, Grice, Heyward, Norman, Miller get marks on the men's side, and others like Gale, Okoye, Coppell open their season. So yes, there have been and will be more.

Oh, and on the women's side Dobbin, Bell, Markovc, Knight, Turner, Bird.

Some could have called posting to moan about standards on 18th May somewhat premature...

https://www.britishathletics.org.uk/...dards-2021.pdf

Entry Standards

Comment

Have to admit, being majorly biased. I am excited by the women's 400m with both Amber and Nicole accepting their invites, so coming across from the states.

Comment

• carterhatch
        carterhatch commented
        Editing a comment
        It certainly has the potential to be one of the rac of the champs - good luck to your runners, Stew. Yasmin has certainly made great progress!

Bumping this thread now we are into June and trials are ‘just’ 3 and a half weeks away.

The schedule is up on the website. Obviously this could change a bit in the coming weeks but my first observations are as follows:-

1. Surprised given the interest; excitement and competitiveness around the middle distance races that they have gone with having the sprint races to end both the Friday & Saturday sessions. In fact they’re not even close to the end; the 1500s are 3 hours before the final event on Saturday and the 800s are best part of 2 hours before the end on Sunday.
      2. I think it was probably the right thing to do in previous years to end with the sprints but this year it feels a bit off. Such lazy scheduling with seemingly no thought put into this.
      3. No real opportunity for any middle distance doubles (I think only the odd athlete would be interested in this anyway) with the 800 heats a couple of hours before the 1500 finals
      4. I also note that the Men’s 100m final is at 18:35 on the Saturday. There is a Euros game due to kick off at 5PM, we don’t know yet if that will be on BBC or ITV but either way I fear this means that there may be no TV coverage. Otherwise surely they would have ended before 5 as on Sunday and then had some heats etc. after this.
      5. On the positive side it’s great that the Multi-Events are being incorporated into this event for the first time and I like the return to 3 days; with a more even split of finals on Saturday and Sunday rather than a thinner Saturday session with a packed Sunday session.

Muller British Athletics Championships

Lots of people have yet to accept invites and I’m sure we’ll get some more over the next week or so but some early pointers perhaps to people’s intentions for trials.

• Tim Duckworth & Holly Mills have accepted invites to the Multi Events. I am hoping that they’ll target one of the Combined Events Challenge meetings this Month to boost their qualification chances. It may of course be an insurance plan or they may just have entered this to do select events. Jade O’Dowda & Jodie Smith have also entered the Heptathlon even though it’s just 2 weeks before Euro U23s, again one hopes they would only do select events now they have the qualification for that. No sign of KJT or Niamh Emerson here or anywhere else on the programme
      • Melissa Courtney-Bryant has accepted both the 1500 and the 5000. This double is feasible and perhaps sensible for her to keep options open? Laura Weightman has accepted the 5000m
      • Amber Anning & Nicole Yeargin have accepted their 400 invites.
      • Cindy Sember has entered the 100m as well as the hurdles
      • Adam Gemili has accepted both the 100 & 200m. Nothing as yet from Mr Prescod I note.
      Last edited by Ladyloz; 01-06-21, 20:06.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
        Occasional Hope commented
        Editing a comment
        I see Maya Bruney on the invite list; have they not realised she's transferred to Italy?

This article was on the Beeb website

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/57259631

We gad talked about Eilidh Doyle retiring - having had a child - so interesting to note Tiffany Porter's approach - similar age too...

Question - will any other athlete make the team for W100H apart from the two sisters.. what has happened to Lucy-Jane Matthews ?

Comment

• carterhatch
        carterhatch commented
        Editing a comment
        answering my own question about the young hurdler Lucy-Jane Mathews, it may be as an 'upper sixth' at Millfield (from tweet Sep 20) she might be focusing on exams...

• Occasional Hope
        Editing a comment
        Exams all cancelled again this year...

• jjimbojames
        jjimbojames commented
        Editing a comment
        For many, exams would be less stressful and less work than what they’ve had - lots of assessments, spread out over a longer period, so teachers can prove their grades. Much more work for kids than last year

I can't see the 400-metre women's final on the list. The men's event is no. 27, or do I need to go to Specsavers?

Comment

• Occasional Hope
        Editing a comment
        No, looks like they've forgotten it. The heats are there but no final.

• Occasional Hope
        Editing a comment
        It's been inserted now

Originally posted by Ladyloz View Post
      Bumping this thread now we are into June and trials are ‘just’ 3 and a half weeks away.

The schedule is up on the website. Obviously this could change a bit in the coming weeks but my first observations are as follows:-

1. Surprised given the interest; excitement and competitiveness around the middle distance races that they have gone with having the sprint races to end both the Friday & Saturday sessions. In fact they’re not even close to the end; the 1500s are 3 hours before the final event on Saturday and the 800s are best part of 2 hours before the end on Sunday.
      2. I think it was probably the right thing to do in previous years to end with the sprints but this year it feels a bit off. Such lazy scheduling with seemingly no thought put into this.
      3. No real opportunity for any middle distance doubles (I think only the odd athlete would be interested in this anyway) with the 800 heats a couple of hours before the 1500 finals
      4. I also note that the Men’s 100m final is at 18:35 on the Saturday. There is a Euros game due to kick off at 5PM, we don’t know yet if that will be on BBC or ITV but either way I fear this means that there may be no TV coverage. Otherwise surely they would have ended before 5 as on Sunday and then had some heats etc. after this.
      5. On the positive side it’s great that the Multi-Events are being incorporated into this event for the first time and I like the return to 3 days; with a more even split of finals on Saturday and Sunday rather than a thinner Saturday session with a packed Sunday session.

Muller British Athletics Championships

Lots of people have yet to accept invites and I’m sure we’ll get some more over the next week or so but some early pointers perhaps to people’s intentions for trials.

• Tim Duckworth & Holly Mills have accepted invites to the Multi Events. I am hoping that they’ll target one of the Combined Events Challenge meetings this Month to boost their qualification chances. It may of course be an insurance plan or they may just have entered this to do select events. Jade O’Dowda & Jodie Smith have also entered the Heptathlon even though it’s just 2 weeks before Euro U23s, again one hopes they would only do select events now they have the qualification for that. No sign of KJT or Niamh Emerson here or anywhere else on the programme
      • Melissa Courtney-Bryant has accepted both the 1500 and the 5000. This double is feasible and perhaps sensible for her to keep options open? Laura Weightman has accepted the 5000m
      • Amber Anning & Nicole Yeargin have accepted their 400 invites.
      • Cindy Sember has entered the 100m as well as the hurdles
      • Adam Gemili has accepted both the 100 & 200m. Nothing as yet from Mr Prescod I note.
      always possible that Prescod can be added to the growing list of sprinters who disappointed in the end.Perhaps he fancies the Commonwealth Games next year. Quite correct about the sprints; the people who make these decisions make a fan despair.
      i think a number of events are/ or will be one sided and rather boring. Throws perhaps?? lets face one thing in this country of ours there is little interest in our great sport... just f*cking football and not a lot else. Our footballers are quite likely to disappoint as they usually do !!

Comment

Originally posted by carterhatch View Post
        The 2021 Müller British Athletics Championships promises to be scintillating weekend of action, taking place at the Manchester Regional Arena from the 25th – 27th June.

I think it is time we had a place holder for discussion ...
        not too scintillating, i suggest; the weather looks unpromising at 3 weeks to go;

Comment

There seems to be a view by some posters that if a GB athlete does not make the OG standard in his/her event there is an automtic right to be selected if that athlete is within the permitted number of places shown in the Road to Tokyo numbers.I feel that is not correc,t as i read the UKA Selection policy document; if an athlete beat the OG standard in 2019, but is not an Automatic qualifier by top two right in the Trials then that athlete would have to beat the UK standard and be fit and in form equal to previous form or beat the UKA standard. Any comments ??

Comment

• MysteryBrick
            MysteryBrick commented
            Editing a comment
            You are correct, they need to beat the UK standard. In some cases the UK standard is the same as the Olympic standard so this is redundant, but there are a number of athletes who are over the UK standard who will have recourse to appeal to selection in round 4 (Laurence Okoye and Taylor Campbell have the standard, and Scott Lincoln and Chris Bennett are very close)

Originally posted by philipo View Post

not too scintillating, i suggest; the weather looks unpromising at 3 weeks to go;
          Hmm, checking the Met Office long range forecast for the Manchester area in 3 weeks time, and it seems likely that thinks will be fine. Maybe a chance of some showers, but temps are either ranging in the average to above average for that time of year in the region and mostly dry throughout. Of course, long range weather forecasting is still notoriously difficult to get right, so let's wait a week or so to have a clearer look at things.

Comment

• Ladyloz
            Ladyloz commented
            Editing a comment
            Anything more than 5 days in advance is prone to change in my experience.

Originally posted by philipo View Post
          There seems to be a view by some posters that if a GB athlete does not make the OG standard in his/her event there is an automtic right to be selected if that athlete is within the permitted number of places shown in the Road to Tokyo numbers.I feel that is not correc,t as i read the UKA Selection policy document; if an athlete beat the OG standard in 2019, but is not an Automatic qualifier by top two right in the Trials then that athlete would have to beat the UK standard and be fit and in form equal to previous form or beat the UKA standard. Any comments ??
          Oh, I don't know anymore! Working through UKA documents is like wading through treacle.

We may have only one World Record holder remaining but I think that our governing body more than make up for that by breaking World Records for "Over-complicating What Should Be A Simple Process".

Comment

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post

Oh, I don't know anymore! Working through UKA documents is like wading through treacle.

We may have only one World Record holder remaining but I think that our governing body more than make up for that by breaking World Records for "Over-complicating What Should Be A Simple Process".
            correct, Lucky, i used to spend a lot of my career reading through legal stuff but UKA as you say; know how to mess it around; probably a bit nervous of appeal challenges after the team is selected.
            did you see the Rome meet entries by the way; a tough test for many ; though no Americans at that time of June.

Comment

It would be a great deal easier if they did away with trials and just picked the strongest team.

Comment

• Loop-guru
                Loop-guru commented
                Editing a comment
                We all know the team pretty much, I doubt if there will be any major surprises from a 2 and a half day event but overall I am in favour as it means that if you want in you have to turn up, trusting to a discretionary place probably means your not in the right shape anyhow.

• Laps
                Laps commented
                Editing a comment
                The same way any sport that doesn’t have trials selects it’s team.
                By taking all aspects of ability and form into account.

Very straightforward for Athletics.

• trickstat
                trickstat commented
                Editing a comment
                In a lot of the individual sports that don't have trials in the way that athletics and swimming do, people qualify by their positions at various qualifying events. For example, I see that a number of boxers qualified yesterday. I suspect these boxers at some stage would have won domestic events that would have got them into the international competitions.

I do think that the advantages of having trials outweigh the disadvantages:

1) It gives an equal opportunity to athletes who aren't on the international circuit to compete against those who are.
                2) It gives clarity to the athletes as to how they can make the team rather than trying to guess whether the selectors will favour one high-level performance over several decent ones.
                3) We really ought to have a national senior champs!
            Working...
            X