No announcement yet.

World Athletics Relays, Chorzow, Poland 1-2 May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently Denmark have not qualified for ANY Olympic relay since 1948! Got both their women & men 4x100m through tonight.

Comment

Terrible first leg from Rabah Yousef.

Comment

• trickstat
        trickstat commented
        Editing a comment
        As a certain Mr Johnson would say it looks like he ran a "horrible" last 40m or so. It was as if he forgot that, when you are an outside lane on the first leg, 400m is some way beyond the finish line. As I am pretty sure he has run quite a few first legs in outer lanes I think it was more the case that he isn't in good shape rather than he misjudged it particularly.

Well done to the Irish team in the mixed for making the final and the Olympic Games.

Comment

Splits are up. The GB men's are all bad, but on the women's side, Jessie Knight managed a 51.28, the third fastest in the W4x400 heats. Bol with an easy looking 49.81 on anchor...!

Suggests the top relay is probably something like Nielsen, Jodie Williams, Knight and Anning, when we get to the summer.

Comment

• carterhatch
          carterhatch commented
          Editing a comment
          Lee Thompson looks a real 'unit' - a very tall lad - but I certainly would not have thought his split was that promising ...

• MysteryBrick
          MysteryBrick commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not saying it's world beating, Carterhatch, but it's better than the dross most of the other men have been churning out.

• carterhatch
          carterhatch commented
          Editing a comment
          You misunderstand me, mysterybrick. I value your input on this forum greatly and agree with your view on our men's 400 ... My disappointment is that Thompson hasn't progressed and watching the race, I was surprised the time was fairly respectable, as he looked unable to make any gain on the three athletes around him.

On the positive, with the men out, the top guy from that can come into the mixed, at least - I guess it depends whether they want to focus on the women or the mixed and/or if they were saving better fresh legs in some of the other ladies

Comment

Men's 400m in this country, outside of the hugely inconsistent and injury-pone MHS, is currently at its lowest ebb since at least the early 2000s, after Thomas, Black and Richardson left the scene at roughly the same time. Rooney is done, Yousif is showing his age, Cowan is game but is now a veteran at 35 and never going to go sub 45. Then after them is a bunch of guys who have shown promise at younger age group level but have stalled at the seniors.... George Caddick looked like a prospect a few years ago but has stalled in the 46 second range and not looked likely to get faster; Jarryd Dunn ran that strong 45.09 at the ETC back in 2015 and that same year was an intregral part of the 4x400 team that won a medal at the Beijing World Champs. But he's not come close to running 45 seconds since then and at 29, time is not on his side. Delano Williams is a busted flush. Always runs best when running in the Caribbean (and to be honest, those times aren't much to talk about either), but then runs like trash when competing in Britain. He's decidely average, regardless of whether he focuses on the 200m or 400m.
          Hopefully Cameron Chalmers can return to the track with some of the form he showed and an U-20 and U-23 performer.

There are some potential green shoots of hope, with Charlie Dobson's recent 45.5 clocking (in the distance I always thought he'd be best at following his silver medal over 200m at the 2018 World Juniors) and Ethan Brown, 5th placer at the European U-20s back in 2019, is another young athlete with obvious potential, but the pickings are very thin right now for this event.

Comment

I think Alex Knibbs could become a staple of the team - he was running mid-45 relay legs a couple of years ago and has reduced his open PB by a second since then, and with his hurdles background, he’ll always have a bit of strength to call upon. Both Chalmers may well be in the mix, too. Might be some 200 guys who could step up...can’t all be in the 4x1!

Comment

The GB team that has the best chance of making the final in Tokyo (and I don't think a medal is anywhere near a likely prospect) looks something like MHS - Dobson - Thompson - Knibbs/Chalmers/Toby Harries with Ethan Brown also being a potential option. There is also always the chance of a bolter this year, but I don't think we'll have multiple guys capable of mid-44 splits, which is where the sharp end of the final will be.

Comment

• trickstat
                trickstat commented
                Editing a comment
                I must admit I'm not holding my breath as I think we would need about 5 of those to be in decent shape to have a chance of getting through.

Mixed bag in the mixed relay - first two legs very good, but Liverpool & Yusef overmatched.

Comment

Stew -coach ... your charge got a run then, wish her the best for the season!

Comment

Laviai Nilsen - Ami Pipi - Emily Diamond - Jessie Knight - finish 3rd

Comment

Originally posted by carterhatch View Post
                    Laviai Nilsen - Ami Pipi - Emily Diamond - Jessie Knight - finish 3rd
                    Pretty good, think that’s OK for the first real race of the season.

Comment

• carterhatch
                      carterhatch commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I agree, a good effort, and with Jodie Williams and Amber Anning showing good early season form, Team GB women 4x400 look very competitive

• Occasional Hope
                      Occasional Hope commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Is Nicole Yeargin in the mix for a relay spot too? She's run 52.09 already this year.

With US and Jam teams to come into the mix, we need to be ahead of those two by Tokyo. Poland have Swiety to come in but that’s Cuba at full strength. If The Netherlands rearrange their order and get more out of Klaver they’ll be close but I think GBR is a strong medal bet

Comment

Mixed splits, lee 47.2, zoey 52.4 Yas 52.9 , Rabah 46.4

ladies relay, Lavai 52.8, AMA 52.6, Emily 52.3 and Jess 51.6

glad she managed to get a run, not the best but first run of the outdoor season so positive, warmed up fully twice yesterday as was reserve so not a bad training weekend

Comment

I was impressed by the Netherlands, their men’s team may do better than ours come Tokyo. The women’s team are one athlete away from challenging for medals.

From a British POV I think Knight has put herself in contention, her split was the best yesterday and again today. The final changeover got quite complicated with 3 teams in close proximity and the tall Klaver putting pressure on Knight but she did well to hold her own. Poland have found another good athlete in Kaczmarek who ran a 50 point today, so they may be stronger in Tokyo but so may we

Comment

Working...
                        X