World Athletics Relays, Chorzow, Poland 1-2 May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Athletics Relays, Chorzow, Poland 1-2 May

Not wholly convinced about the utility of this event, but, it being the first (?) outdoor TV appearance of our beloved sport I will be making an effort to watch.

An athlete of one of our very own posters is involved, so good luck Stew, and the Team GB women's line up warrants some interesting discussion, but too early in the season. I think. to give definitive answers, though the prize pot might be an incentive.

Team GB men's squad, ufff what can I say, I want to be proved wrong, and I am sure I saw previously that great stalwart Rooney was involved but no longer it seems. Charlie Dobson's recent good run is one bright spark and could be useful experience for him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/56935349

rooneys injured and withdrew, until half decent athletes come along to replace the old guard then they have every right to be there, only dobson and cameron chalmers who seerms to have stopped runnign have come close in recent years and chalmers seems to have stopped competing

Comment

Latest is that Poland 4x400 women are way under-strength & Nigeria won’t be there at all.

Also: this is not only a path to the Olympics, but a qualifier for the World Champs in Oregon 2022.
      Last edited by Grassmarket; 30-04-21, 15:18.

Comment

Originally posted by carterhatch View Post
        Not wholly convinced about the utility of this event, but, it being the first (?) outdoor TV appearance of our beloved sport I will be making an effort to watch.

An athlete of one of our very own posters is involved, so good luck Stew, and the Team GB women's line up warrants some interesting discussion, but too early in the season. I think. to give definitive answers, though the prize pot might be an incentive.

Team GB men's squad, ufff what can I say, I want to be proved wrong, and I am sure I saw previously that great stalwart Rooney was involved but no longer it seems. Charlie Dobson's recent good run is one bright spark and could be useful experience for him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/56935349

No Joy for tomorrow it seems, not named in the heats ;(

Comment

Ami Pipi - Zoe Clark - Jessie Knight- Jessica Turner

Finish first in their heat ahead of Germany and comfortably make the final in 3.28 ...

Comment

Before the race starts, calling it - GB men don't make the final. Why no Dobson?!

Comment

Jo Brier - James Williams - Kevin Metzger - Dwayne Cowan

change over between Williams and Metzger mucked up with Williams tumbling... last in their heat

Frankly Williams was at fault ...
              Last edited by carterhatch; 01-05-21, 19:02.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
                MysteryBrick commented
                Editing a comment
                Williams tried to do the right thing there and got outmuscled, but very frustrating - you can't have a lead leg running 47.2...

Originally posted by MysteryBrick View Post
              Before the race starts, calling it - GB men don't make the final. Why no Dobson?!
              Now they won’t. Utterly messed up, were not even in the right lane,
              Last edited by Grassmarket; 01-05-21, 19:04.

Comment

I think Williams just ran out of everything.

Comment

They may be saving Dobson for the mixed, given Nielsen didn’t run the women’s?

Williams showing his inexperience there. I’d have had him on first, to hopefully have kept us in contact early on

Comment

• MysteryBrick
                    MysteryBrick commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Will be interesting to see which race the top 2 women run, on the presumption the mixed 4x4 isn't a shitshow too

• treadwater1
                    treadwater1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The word on Twitter was that Dobson was withdrawn as a precaution

Looks like they are prioritising the mixed 4x4, which I can understand as they could do with some practice before Tokyo, realistically the mixed team have a better chance of winning a medal than the men’s 4x4 so the decision to move our two strongest men to the mixed makes sense. The downside of that is that the men’s 4x4 have to put out a weaker team, which goes some way to explaining the poor first leg and position Williams found himself in

South Africa qualify for the Tokyo 4x4, increases the chances of an appearance from van Niekerk

Comment

Sometime Brit Safo-Antwi gets an Olympic slot for Ghana.

Comment

Of course Anita Horvat is running. Try keeping her away!

Comment

That 4x2x4 is a weird event.

Comment

Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
                          That 4x2x4 is a weird event.
                          Quite enjoyed it - a tactical sprint relay!

Comment

Working...
                          X