UK Outdoor Results - May 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Outdoor Results - May 2021

I know I am jupming the gun (not even the B- of-the-Bang) but it is so much easier to breakdown results monthly ...

Trawling the power of ten results i noticed the Lina Nelisen ran a 400 mh PB 56.19 - building on her promising early flat results ... not far outside the Olympic standard of 55.40

Given the paucity of men's 400 iit was godo to see Charlie Dobson run 45.51, and I think Ian Hodhge mentioned it was only his second time over the distance...
    Last edited by carterhatch; 26-04-21, 17:30.

Originally posted by carterhatch View Post
    I know I am jupming the gun (not even the B- of-the-Bang) but it is so much easier to breakdown results monthly ...

Trawling the power of ten results i noticed the Lina Nelisen ran a 400 mh PB 56.19 - building on her promising early flat results ... not far outside the Olympic standard of 55.40

Given the paucity of men's 400 iit was godo to see Charlie Dobson run 45.51, and I think Ian Hodhge mentioned it was only his second time over the distance...
    if only our track and field competitors had the propensity and good fortune to achieve the massive and sudden improvements across the board that happens over the pond.
    By the way, the overreaction about the talented Athing Mu on another Forum, prompts me to ask how often does such an athlete with NCAA College status, promising in 2019( who had heard about her here, for example) and has no performances in 2020 according WA stats, get tested fully and whereabouts checked. Mu is now being hyped up by some fans as a possible medallist inTokyo.
    Whilst i have not the insane doping assumptions about all athletes that exists on Letsrun i do wonder.

Comment

You only need an anti-doping whereabouts attendance rate of 33.3% (you can miss 2 out of 3 in last 12 months) so no issues with using doping at remaining 66.6%...

Comment

a massive pb from lina nielsen in the 400 hurdles - 55.27, her pb before this season was 56.67

Comment

• carterhatch
          carterhatch commented
          Editing a comment
          You beat me to it, Drobbie... I had begun to doubt the move to 400 h would pay dividends, but very glad to be proved wrong, an impressive start to the season, by Miss Nielsen, and I wonder if the early indications of improved flat speed might see her involved in relays, although the queue forthat is looking increasingly congested.

• jjimbojames
          jjimbojames commented
          Editing a comment
          Will be interesting to see what shape Eilidh comes back in, because we could have at least four women with the Q standard, all being well. With the mixed 4x400m, it’s good to have plenty of options....if the men can do their bit, too! Dobson looks great, but a bit more fresh blood needed to push people on

and Ian Hodge tweets that Ms. Nielsen 'continues her fantastic start to 2021 with a pb 400m of 52.56 just 20 hours after her Olympic qualifier over 400 Hurdles'

Comment

• MysteryBrick
          MysteryBrick commented
          Editing a comment
          Definite possibility of two Nielsens in the relay this year, although I do expect both Jodie Williams and Amber Anning (if the US Collegiate season doesn't knacker her) to play a strong role too. The women will have a number of decent options, the men markedly fewer...

the mens is pretty crap tbh - hudson smith , dobson, then a load of guys in their mid 30's - rooney is done and has been for the past couple of seasons, yousif just about still deserves to be there, really dont know about cowan thie year with his age and his father and coach dying. staines and chalmers seem to have vanished the last couple of seasons and those are the only male 400 athletes who have broken 46 since 2018 - absolutely terrible in an event we have traditionally been strong in

the womans event however is far stronger - hopefully L neilsen can get down to a low 50 this year, anning and williams are already hitting 51's this year and seem to be in pb form , knight , diamond and clark are fairly dependable 51 ish second runners, doyle is also due back and there are a number of other athletes coming through - 7 decent athletes in contention

Comment

51.32 Olympic qualifier for Jodie Williams today (and a 22.68w 200m, with a +2.7). World class runs, I think she will go 50.mid by June. Really pleased that she has found her event after the 200m didn't quite go as planned.

Also, 23.38 200m PB for Amber Anning, continuing her progression. Another who should be pushing 51-flat this year, which may get her into the NCAA final.
          Last edited by MysteryBrick; 01-05-21, 23:33.

Comment

According to Ian Hodge Amber Anning 'finally gets a legal wind at 200m today and improves her PB from 23.71 to 23.38' - I hope she has something left for Tokyo! with the great news about Jodie Williams' Olympic qualifier, we are indeed looking very competitive in that women's relay.

Comment

• Ladyloz
              Ladyloz commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't think it would necessarily be the worst result if Amber has a tired run at trials (which will be just 2 weeks after NCAAs) and doesn't get selection for individual for Tokyo but can then focus on relay duties there.

Originally posted by Chaykin View Post
            You only need an anti-doping whereabouts attendance rate of 33.3% (you can miss 2 out of 3 in last 12 months) so no issues with using doping at remaining 66.6%...
            No, you are liable to be banned if you have 3 whereabouts failures in 12 months. That does not mean that you will only be tested 3 times in that period.

However, I do wonder whether someone might be tempted to start doping during a time when they are not doing any competitions and avoid being where they should be for their tests, and then stop doping as soon as they get a 2nd whereabouts failure.

Comment

• LuckySpikes
              LuckySpikes commented
              Editing a comment
              That's taking a big risk though. The testers could easily come knocking again a few days after the 2nd whereabouts failure, maybe too soon for traces of the drugs to have left your system completely?

• Occasional Hope
              Occasional Hope commented
              Editing a comment
              Also you don't necessarily know you've missed it immediately (unless it's a case of deliberate evasion) and I'd bet even one miss puts you on their radar for more than random testing.

• trickstat
              trickstat commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, I think it could only ever work if the athlete learns of their second failure very shortly after it occurs and then isn't tested again for several weeks. I do think that 2 successive whereabouts failure would raise suspicions and ensure that the third test happened pretty quickly.

At the Kansas City Qualifier Aimee Pratt reached the bell in the Steeple a second behind Marisa Howard at 8:15 & change, Aimee having just run a 76s lap to close the gap significantly. She needed 74s for the last lap to get the 9:30 Olympic standard! Unfortunately though, it wasn't to be for Aimee last night. She struggled a bit on the last lap, finishing 2nd in 9:38.99. Lizzie Bird was 3rd in 9:44.52. It had been pretty windy earlier in the meeting. I don't know if it still was by the time of their race (it was hard to judge).

Jamaine Coleman was way off the pace in the Men's Steeple, 8th in 8:46.

In the 5000 Jess Judd was third in 15:36.19 behind the winner, Laura Galvan (MEX) 15:11.35 PB. Having reached 3k in 9:17 Jess started to struggle after Julie-Ann Staehli and then Galvan notched the pace up.

Comment

talking of relay line ups .... Ian Hodge tweeted that Cameron Chlamers 'clocks a most encouraging 45.98 for 400m on his home track in Geurnsey.' ...

I know we like a discussion about relay line ups ... so what odds the starting lineup of Thompson - Chalmers - Dobson - MHS

Comment

I don’t think Thompson is a great lead off leg - he’s better in the middle. We need lead off to be someone who is at least close to 45 to stay in contention, IMO

Comment

• MysteryBrick
                  MysteryBrick commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'd almost be inclined to have MHS on 1, to keep us right in the mix and also because I'm not convinced he is an excellent relay runner.

• treadwater1
                  treadwater1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The jury is still out on MHS as a relay runner. That anchor leg at the Glasgow CWG shows what he is capable of, but he’s also had some poor runs. He could be a very useful anchor leg runner once Rooney retires

Over at the Mt SAC Continental Tour "Gold" meeting, Cindy Sember and Tiffany Porter as continuing their return to fitness and form. In the heats of the 100m hurdles, Sember clocked the 2nd fastest time in the two heats with an impressive 12.65 (0.9m/s), beating Nigerian Tobi Amusan (12.71). Meanwhile here older sister Tiffany was second to world record holder Keni Harrison's 12.53 (1.4m/s) winning time, going 12.74.

Comment

Ellie Baker 2.00.24 in the 800 there.

Comment

MHS didn't look very good, outside 46.

Comment

Working...
                    X