Diamond League 2019 - Rome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diamond League 2019 - Rome

Eh, might as well put this up here in some further house keeping in this forum.

This is, to me, the first *big* Diamond League meeting of the year so far, with so many of the big names that have missed Doha, Shanghai and Stockholm due to the lateness of the World Championships, showing up here in Rome.

Dina Asher-Smith, who has won the two 200m races she's competed in so far this season, will face her stiffest test of the year, this time in a 100m race stacked with talent. She'll face Elaine Thompson again, who she beat so convincingly in Stockholm last Thursday, along with American Aleia Hobbs who has already won a 100m in her debut season on the Diamond League circuit. Then there is her old foe from last year Marie-Josee Ta Lou in the line up, as well as another American, English Gardiner, who has a 10.74 lifetime best at this distance.

In the 1500m, Laura Muir is going to face a much sterner test than the jogging exercise she had in Stockholm last week, with world record holder at the distance Genzebe Dibaba, amongst her competitors this time. Along with Tsegye of Ethiopia and Jenny Simpson of the USA there too, Muir's going to have to be on her A game to win. Elish McColgan will be in this race too, working on her speed after the sub 15 minute 5000m in Stockholm and the recent announcement she'll be heading the British team for the "Night Of The 10,000m PB's" at Parliament Hill next month.

There's some more British performers tonight, like NMB in the 200m, Lorraine Ugen in the long jump and Andrew Pozzi in the 110m hurdles, but I can't be bothered to get into the meat and bones of that here because I'm a lazy bum! Go on, go to the this link to see all the line ups and such.
    Last edited by RunUnlimited; 06-06-19, 17:35.

Yes, definitely looks like it will be the best DL so far this season and most of the events are super-competitive.

Looking forward to the women's 1500 especially - a rare DL appearance at the distance by Dibaba (though she's also doing it in Rabat), of course Our Laura, and I think Tsegay will continue to make strides and be a medal contender come Doha.

Comment

A BBC article on Pozzi

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/48533589

"I was racing under a much higher workload and was relatively fatigued in Shanghai," he says of his sixth-place finish in last month's Diamond League meeting.

"My time was competitive but whenever you make big changes, it is going to take several races for it to become habitual.

Comment

Yikes... Lorraine Ugen's and Shara Proctor's slow starts to the season continue to worry in Rome. With 3 rounds completed, Proctor's "best" is a paltry 6.30m to finish a distant 9th place. Meanwhile Ugen finishes dead last with a "best" of 6.27m. All of this is a far cry to both athlete's pre-Berlin performances last season, especially Ugen, who was ranked #1 in the world heading into the European Championships before having a meltdown in the final and majorly under-performing. I have a feeling that disappointment last year is still affecting her at the start of this season.

Germany's Mihambo, European long jump champion last year, leads with a 6.90m leap in the 3rd round, equaling the world lead, just ahead of Catherine Ibarguen's 6.87m effort.
        Last edited by RunUnlimited; 06-06-19, 18:36.

Comment

• RunUnlimited
          RunUnlimited commented
          Editing a comment
          More in the long jump.... In the 4th round, Mihambo finally breaks through into the 7 meter club! She sails out to a new personal best of 7.07m and takes the world lead for herself, well done to her!

I suspect Ms. Ugen is very much confidence athlete, what she needs is a good run out in a 4x100 relay which I would argue, kick started her fine season...

Also, I'd like to see KJT involved in LJ or HJ at the diamond league ...

Comment

L O L

The world championship men's 400m hurdles is going to be between 3 guys.... Samba, Walholm and Rai Benjamin. No one else in the world is going to get close to them unless they fall in Doha (which could happen of course). Benjamin just now in Rome destroyed the field, winning by over a *second* with a time of 47.58.
          Last edited by RunUnlimited; 06-06-19, 19:21.

Comment

Originally posted by carterhatch View Post
            I suspect Ms. Ugen is very much confidence athlete, what she needs is a good run out in a 4x100 relay which I would argue, kick started her fine season...

Also, I'd like to see KJT involved in LJ or HJ at the diamond league ...
            Agree with you about Ugen and her confidence issues. She'd always had potential but was always dogged by inconsistency, especially when it came to putting together a series of jumps during a competition. Then last season it seemed to click for her and as you mentioned, her surprise turn out in the 4 x 100m relay for England (and how well she did on the anchor leg) seemed to help her out hugely. And of course that 7.05m at the national championships was a big confidence boost too.
            However come the final in Berlin, it seemed that all the old demons choose that moment to come back to haunt her, and the fact she was the world leader in the event and her failure to even get a chance to do all 6 jumps in the final, seems to have knocked her a lot.

As for your point about KJT, I also agree with your assessment. KJT would only be helped by doing some Diamond League events in the long jump, the 100m hurdles or the 200m. Especially with the fact that she is based in France these days, it would mean travel to some of these events wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Comment

Nijel Amos gets beaten, just, in a loaded 800m race, Donavan Brazier of the USA snatching the win on the line, clocking a world-leading time of 1:43.63 to Amos' 1:43.65 (SB). Canada's Brandon McBride comes 3rd with a season's best 1:43.90. Adam Kzczcot in 7th, manages to go sub 1:45 with a 1:44.75 clocking.

Comment

Alright, time for the big one... the women's 100m is next...

Elaine Thompson gets her revenge on Asher-Smith, winning the 100m in a world lead of 10.89, with DAS coming second with a 10.94 season's best.
                Last edited by RunUnlimited; 06-06-19, 19:38.

Comment

Didn't see the 100m (watering my fruit bushes) but I'll take 10.94 from DASHER anyday, it's a long ol' season and from her interviews she is well aware of this and knows now is not the time to peak...

RunUnlimited and comments on Ugen, definitely in agreement of your analysis of her last season... I don't think KJT would make any Diamond League line up for hurdles, but it would do her no harm to try and get a slot in a 200 ...

Now... whats happening with Ms. Muir

(Incidentally, what odds that DASHER, KJT and Ms. Muir all medal at Doha?)

Comment

Didn't see the 100m (watering my fruit bushes) but I'll take 10.94 from DASHER anyday, it's a long ol' season and from her interviews she is well aware of this and knows now is not the time to peak...

RunUnlimited and comments on Ugen, definitely in agreement of your analysis of her last season... I don't think KJT would make any Diamond League line up for hurdles, but it would do her no harm to try and get a slot in a 200 ...

Now... whats happening with Ms. Muir

(Incidentally, what odds that DASHER, KJT and Ms. Muir all medal at Doha?)
                    In the 100m, Dina made a good start, though probably not her best, and was leading Thompson over the first 50m or so. But then Thompson reeled her in over the second half of the race and passed her with about 20m to go.
                    Looking at that, it was great to see Elaine getting back into some sort of her past form. As for Dina, she'll be pleased with the time and will probably be glad to have actually taken a loss here... She wouldn't want to get too ahead of herself after her great start to the season.

On KJT, more 200m from her would be great!

The medal prospects of DAS, KJT and Muir?

DAS will get a medal in either the 100 or 200m.

KJT is right up there with Thiam challenging for the gold medal in the Heptathlon.

Muir.... It's so difficult to call with all the top athletes on the circuit who will be contenders in the world championships.

Comment

Well then... Dibaba and Muir were in a class of their own in the 1500m just now. Dibaba taking the lead after halfway with Tsegay and Muir in tow pulling away from the rest of the field. Then it was the world record holder making a break for it after the bell and down the back straight, only Muir was able to keep up with Dibaba's vicious kick and it stayed that way to the finish, Dibaba winning in a world leading 3:56.28, with Muir running the 2nd fastest 1500m by a Brit ever, with 3:56.73!
                      Tsegay managed to break 4 minutes with a 3:59.96, with former world champion Jenny Simpson coming a strong 4th with a 4:01.18 season's best.

Behind Debues-Stafford (again impressing with another big PB, this time at the 1500m with 4:01.28), Elish McColgan ran a 4:02.29 season's best, which bodes well for her more favourable events, the 5000m and 10,000m.

[EDIT]: Should add that Elish's time is well inside UKA's World Championship 1500m qualifying standard of 4:06.50. Could she make it 3 out of 3 qualifying times in the Parliament Hill 10,000m next month? (31:51.00 is the 10,000m standard btw.)
                      Last edited by RunUnlimited; 06-06-19, 21:59.

Comment

A BBC article on Pozzi

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/48533589

"I was racing under a much higher workload and was relatively fatigued in Shanghai," he says of his sixth-place finish in last month's Diamond League meeting.

"My time was competitive but whenever you make big changes, it is going to take several races for it to become habitual.
                        Well, looks like Pozzi knew what he was talking about then! A very good run from him here in the 110m hurdles, just missing out to former world champion Shubenkov over the last couple of hurdles and getting edged out, 13.26 to 13.28, a season's best for both hurdlers. And Pozzi took the scalps of Olympic medalist Ortega who came dead last, and Euro Indoor champion Trajkovic who came 5th.

Been a pretty good night for the Brits so far (apart from NMB, who came 7th in an electric 200m).

Comment

Great time for Our Laura. Sub-45 I think for her last 300 off a speedy pace. Bodes very well for the rest of the season. I wonder if she could have won tonight had she not been bumped back after 150m? She probably lost half a second there and had to work harder than she'd like to before joining Dibaba & Tsegay with 800 to go, especially given that the first lap was very fast.

RunUnlimited has already mentioned Debues-Stafford's PB. A shout out too for Elinor Purrier with a 5+ second PB, 4:02.34. She's a former (2018) NCAA Indoor Mile champion. Being quite stocky she doesn't look she should be a fast mid-d runner but she is.

Wonder if the super-close finish in the 5000 was fixed to try & show the IAAF the error of their ways? Just kidding. 12:53 is super-fast at this time of the season though.

5 European men set PBs of 8:24 or better in that Steeple, headed by Fernando Carro, 8:15.73, and including Zak Seddon taking 5 seconds off his PB with 8:21.28. Well done! The fastest time by a British man since ... ? I'm going to research that and get back to you.
                          Like that women's 5000 in Stockholm it probably helped them all that they were somewhat in contact with the leaders late into the race due to the leaders slowing in the 2nd kilometre.
                          Last edited by LuckySpikes; 06-06-19, 21:28.

Comment

Yes, I knew it had been a long time since any British man had run as fast as Zak Seddon's 8:21.28. But I didn't realise how long! It's been 26 years since a British man ran faster than that.

Let's just hope Zak doesn't go the way of Rob Mullett who ran 8:22 in 2016 and hasn't done much since.

Comment

Working...
                            X