Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any appetite for a simple "Fantasy Euro Cross" contest on 9 December?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any appetite for a simple "Fantasy Euro Cross" contest on 9 December?

The European Cross Country Championships are on Sunday 9th December in Tilburg, Netherlands.

Here's how I propose Fantasy Euro Cross would work:

You pick 6 athletes for the Senior Men's race and 6 athletes for the Senior Women's race. In both races your 5 best-placed athletes will count. Cross country scoring will apply (placings added, lowest score wins) and the scores from both races added to determine our overall champion.

For each of your 2 teams you must pick athletes representing 6 different nations (though you can have a Brit or Swede, for example, in both teams). In the unlikely event that you do not have a full scoring team of 5, any non-finishing athletes will be awarded 40th place to enable you to score a full team.

Final entry lists are usually available a few days before the championships.

I will run the contest if there's at least 3 people who express a firm interest in playing.

EDIT (6th Dec): Further 'rules' and the Entry Lists link are given in the 7th post of this thread.
    Last edited by LuckySpikes; 06-12-18, 11:44.

Cross country being such leveller of reputation I wouldn't count on the idea of it being unlikely for us not to score! Sounds fun.

Comment

Bump!

(Thanks, Frankie).

Comment

OK hopefully others will join in. I'll post a potential women's team first. This is an insanely loaded xc champs, so I'm feeling a bit spoilt for choice! So , my women's team is... Susan Krummins ( NED), Charlotte Arter ( GB), Karoline Grovdal ( NOR), Sara Moreira ( POR), Ancuta Bobucel ( ROM) and Charltta Fougberg ( SWE). I'll have to go off and think about the men's team! All very difficult

Comment

Damn it, Vernon's out. OK, this a hodge podge of 5k/mid-distance runners about whose capacity to run a 10km xc I am very uncertain. So...Issac Kimeli ( BEL), Adel Meechal ( ESP), Yemaneberhan Crippa ( ITA), Henrik Ingebrigtsen ( NOR), Napoleon Solomon ( SWE) and Ross Millington ( GBR). I've deliberately handicapped myself because, for a variety of reasons we won't go into, this not being Let's Run, I refuse to select anyone from the Turkish team. That said, I'm really not happy with this selection, whilst being rather smug about my women's team

Comment

In case the game goes ahead, here is my team

Women:
            Courtney (Gbr); Burkard (Ger); Krumins (Ned); Augusto (Por); Schlumpf (Sui); Can (Tur)
            Male:
            Abadía (Esp); Griffiths (Gbr); Y. Crippa (Ita); F. Ingebrigtsen (Nor); Nilsson (Swe); Arikan (Tur)

Sorry frankie, I chose a Turk in both teams, but I understand your point of view, I don't cheer any Turk at meetings as a general rule.

Comment

Thanks, MBChristie.

Yes, the contest will go ahead since it's so easy to set up even just for a few.

The main rules are described in the first post. You have until 12.30pm UK time on Sunday to post your team or edit it (if there are withdrawals.)

The final Entry Lists are at http://www.european-athletics.org/mm...ed_English.pdf (senior women's right at the bottom). As Frankie said, Andy Vernon is out.

In the event of a tied score to decide the winner, the scores of your two 6th athletes (i.e., your 2 lowest placed & non-counting athletes) will be totalled and the lowest score wins the tiebreaker.

If anyone becomes aware of any other significant withdrawals please post them here. I will endeavour to keep an eye out also. As indicated above, you can edit your team if one or more of your athletes is not going to be starting the race. Do check back here up until 12.30pm on Sunday in case you need to replace a team member.

Good luck, everyone!
              Last edited by LuckySpikes; 06-12-18, 11:30.

Comment

Had to make some tough omissions but here goes with Team LuckySpikes ...

Women:
                Charlotte Arter (GBR)
                Elena Burkard (GER)
                Susan Krumins (NED)
                Karoline Grovdal (NOR)
                Fabienne Schumpf (SUI)
                Yasemin Can (TUR)

Men:
                Isaac Kimeli (BEL)
                Adel Mechaal (ESP)
                Hassan Chahdi (FRA)
                Yemane Crippa (ITA)
                Henrik Ingebrigtsen (NOR)
                Kaan Kigen Ozbilen (TUR)

Comment

Startlists at http://www.european-athletics.org/co...dules-results/
                  At this moment in time there doesn't appear to be any major withdrawals.

Comment

No individual medals for GB for the first time in how long? (I'm sure someone on Twitter will save me the job of checking.)

Amelia Quirk was very unlucky in the U20s, finished 5th but might have medalled had she not tripped over Sarah Healy and gone down. Shame for Healy too - I thought she had a great chance of winning.

Pippa Woolven (9th) and Kristian Jones (12th) really stepped up to the mark in the senior races. Chuffed to see Jess Piasecki solidifying her strong comeback with 10th.

Alex Bell gave a little nudge to the selectors with a storming run taking 5+ seconds out of both Lamote & Guerrero in the mixed relay.

Entertaining senior women's race at the sharp end with the outcome never certain until the final few metres.

Middlebrigtsen took what, for me (but not MBChristie?), was a surprise gold in the men's.

Ok, I'll work out the contest scores with a detailed breakdown of where all your athletes finished ...

Comment

Only 3 players so a bit like the distance events at this years NACAC Championships, everyone was guaranteed a medal!

frankie cahill
                      Women (57):
                      3 Grovdal
                      4 Krumins
                      7 Arter
                      13 Fougberg
                      30 Bobocel
                      DNF Moreira

Men (39):
                      2 Kimeli
                      5 Solomon
                      6 Y Crippa
                      8 Mechaal
                      18 H Ingebrigtsen
                      30 Millington

MBChristie
                      Women (21):
                      1 Can
                      2 Schlumpf
                      4 Krumins
                      6 Burkard
                      8 Courtney
                      DNF Augusto

Men (41):
                      1 F Ingebrigtsen
                      6 Y Crippa
                      7 Arikan
                      13 Griffiths
                      14 Abadia
                      DNF Nilsson

LuckySpikes
                      Women (16):
                      1 Can
                      2 Schlumpf
                      3 Grovdal
                      4 Krumins
                      6 Burkard
                      7 Arter

Men (38):
                      2 Kimeli
                      4 Ozbilen
                      6 Y Crippa
                      8 Mechaal
                      18 H Ingebrigtsen
                      25 Chahdi

Before working out the scores my instinct was that MBChristie picking the right Ingebrigtsen had won him the contest but ...

GOLD: LuckySpikes 16 + 38 = 54
                      SILVER: MBChristie 21 + 41 = 62
                      BRONZE: frankie cahill 57 + 39 = 96

Frankie, you definitely hamstrung your chances not picking any Turks!

MBChristie's Filip Ingebrigtsen was the "pick of the day" given that Frankie and me favoured Henrik instead.

Very proud of my women's picks - only Jip Vastenburg got in the way of a perfect 1st through 6th!

So, well done all and thank you for playing!

I expect I'll do a contest of some sort for the European Indoor Championships in early March (unless someone else wants to.)

Comment

Lots to say about a truly wonderful XC championships, best I've seen in years, so will post again when I've more time. First, just a quick word on my dismal showing! As soon as I saw MBChristie's selection I thought "oh no, how did I forget Schlumpf!". Never mind,what I know about cross country can evidently be written on the back of an extremely small postage stamp. My much vaunted ( by me) women's team were dismal. Let down badly by Moreira and Bobocel,who never seems to show up. On the other hand, my "dodgy" men's team were actually rather good. Yay for Solomon! I see Augosto dnf'ed too. Bit of a shocker for the one time powerhouse of Portugal.

Comment

Originally posted by frankie cahill View Post
                          Lots to say about a truly wonderful XC championships, best I've seen in years, so will post again when I've more time. First, just a quick word on my dismal showing! As soon as I saw MBChristie's selection I thought "oh no, how did I forget Schlumpf!". Never mind,what I know about cross country can evidently be written on the back of an extremely small postage stamp. My much vaunted ( by me) women's team were dismal. Let down badly by Moreira and Bobocel,who never seems to show up. On the other hand, my "dodgy" men's team were actually rather good. Yay for Solomon! I see Augosto dnf'ed too. Bit of a shocker for the one time powerhouse of Portugal.
                          Yes, a very good championships helped by having an actual cross-country course rather than something that more resembles a horse-racing track. Definitely the best course they've had since Samokov 2014 when Gemma Steel won.

With only 3 points separating us in the men's race it really was all decided in the women's race. If it's any consolation I got the lowest possible score in the women's (given the 1 per nation rule) so one might say I was going to be tough to beat after that.

Bobocel was a fair pick (she was in my initial 10 that I whittled down to 6) - 4th in 2016 and 5th in 2015, and 31:43 on the track this year. But yes, unfortunately the Portuguese stalwarts are all getting on a bit (though Ana Dulce Felix did run 2:25 last week) and their 'youngsters', so far, are good but not that good.

I think the mixed relay has been a really good addition to XC championships. Felt sorry for Alex Bell though. After Jamie Williamson's fall she ran such a great leg to drag us back into medal contention (8s faster than Lamote & 5s faster than Guerrero). Had we hung on to a medal it would have been a small stick in the eye for her critics on the selectors' board.

Comment

Hope I'm not too late with this. Firstly, the junior women. I agree Quirk and Healy were unlucky, but Healy, astonishingly, is still only 17. Has another 2 years at this level, which will coincide nicely with a home xc champs in 2020 in Dublin. I think this young girl's got a big future in front of her. Also, did anyone else notice Sonia O'Sullivan's daughter was in that race? That made me feel old! Junior men, what on earth was Oumaiz up to? He was all over the place, high fives, waves to the crowd,smiles to the camera and then looked furious when he finished second! He's also only runner-up in the xc comedy awards. Step forward Jimmy Gressier, who faceplanted his way into sporting immortality and provided the euro xc with more international headlines than it's had in years. He also completely failed to plant the French flag. A true legend. Can is quite possibly the ,I'm not sure what the exact word is...perhaps "scruffiest" runner I've ever seen. Very individual style. Great to see a competitive woemn's senior race, really exciting & I agree with Paula, Schlumpf lacked a little self belief. She could of had that race. What more can be said of the Ingebritsen's. Another fantastic race in the men's seniors & great to see Marc Scott and Sean Tobin in the top 10. I'm still tipping Marc for a strong sub 28 10k showing. PS lucky you keep a keen eye on the NCAA, what can you tell me about Ryan Forsyth who finished 4th for Ireland in the under 23s? Very strong run but I don't recall seeing him in any age range competitions before, and Crammy mentioned something about him having a strong NCAA season

Comment

Yes, the "cockiness factor" was high in the men's age group races this year!

Ryan Forsyth is not someone who's had much attention on the NCAA scene although he does run for one of the powerhouses, Colorado (perhaps in his last year there?). He was 11th at the recent NCAA XC which was, by far, his best result of the year (and NCAA career). He'd been 10th in all his previous 3 races - Pre-Nats, Conference & Regional. His PBs are 7:56i / 13:41 / 29:32. He hasn't yet reached an NCAA Championships on the track but maybe he corrects that this year?

https://www.tfrrs.org/ is a very good site for all NCAA results and athlete profiles though it's restricted to results in the US whilst they're at college so it won't list any Euro XC results for example.

Comment

Working...
                              X