Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussiestatman
    replied
    One fact wrong in Jason Henderson’s report on Berlin: Yegon’s PB was set this year

Leave a comment:

• LuckySpikes
    replied
    Ad break on NBCSN 3 minutes after the last one! Ridiculous. I'm switching to the German stream!

Leave a comment:

• Grassmarket
    replied
    We give World Athletics a lot of stick but whoever is in charge of classifying, cataloguing & grouping together disparate meets is doing a lot of work. This weekend sees the debut of the new Elite Platinum Marathon series, starting a sequence of at least one big-name marathon per week from now until the end of October. First up, the classic WR, NR & PB-chasing course around Berlin. No doubt LS will soon be explaining how you can hack into NASA to watch it.

https://worldathletics.org/competiti...marathons-2021

Leave a comment:

• RunUnlimited
    commented on 's reply
    Those were the European U-20's and U-23's back in 2015 when European Athletics were making their tentative first forays into streaming those events online, and the commentator they had at the time was truly terrible as you say. Thankfully both the coverage and the commentary improved markedly as the years went on.

• LuckySpikes
    replied
    Well, that's track and field over for another year, save for some events like the Japanese Corporate Championships (next weekend), the Southeast Asian Games and South/Pan American age group championships.

So, who's sticking around to keep me company for the Road and Cross Country seasons?

I'm really looking forward to the new WA Cross Country Tour. It should be a real boost for international Cross Country which appeared to be being left to wither on the vine. So far there's 19 meetings - https://www.worldathletics.org/compe...ate=2022-04-01 - and at least 3 more to be added (in N America, Asia & Oceania). All, by the terms of the regulations, should be live streamed and the Gold meetings will be live streamed on the World Athletics YouTube channel.

The prime candidates for Gold meeting status are probably Atapuerca, Italica, Campaccio, Elgoibar & Cinque Mulini and I'd imagine that WA will want a couple of Gold meetings outside Europe as well.

So, what with other good meetings also being live streamed such as Castellon, Valladolid, the Spanish & Italian Championships and the European Championships, we could have 25+ Cross Country meetings being live streamed this winter! And that's not even counting NCAA Cross Country - various conference championships at the end of October and the "finals" in November.

Leave a comment:

• marra
    replied
    re commentators getting names wrong - it can always be worse. I was watching some swimming earlier where both commentator and co-commentator were making a swimmer called Jay Lelliot become Jay Elliot...

A slight mispronunciation is one thing, but depriving the poor bloke of a letter in his name completely seems a bit hard.

Leave a comment:

• Occasional Hope
    commented on 's reply
    I love Jenny's enthusiasm but agree she neds to get people's names right.

• trevorp
    replied
    Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
    Be careful what you wish for, philipo. They might replace her with with one of those awful American commentators, like the dreadful John Anderson who did the world feed for the Olympics!
    Loath as I am to join in criticism of Jenny, who only ever conducted herself admirably as an athlete, I must admit that her performance as a commentator is not ideal. However, we have endured far worse: veterans of this forum will remember Dave Hooper and his virtuosic mangling of names in particular, and the English language in general, during the European Under-23s (I think that was the meet) a few years back. As LuckySpikes says, be careful what you wish for.

Leave a comment:

• Occasional Hope
    commented on 's reply
    He ran Bromell very close.

• Occasional Hope
    replied
    Originally posted by philipo View Post

did i miss her?
    Men's 800.

Leave a comment:

• philipo
    replied
    The kenyan 100m guy was down as 9.77 ?????

Leave a comment:

• philipo
    replied
    Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
    Noah Kibet looks like a brilliant young talent.
    did i miss her?

Leave a comment:

• philipo
    replied
    Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post

Be careful what you wish for, philipo. They might replace her with with one of those awful American commentators, like the dreadful John Anderson who did the world feed for the Olympics!
    one does not aspire to be the dreadful USA commentators; Maybe one hopes for a slightly more grown up attempt to be polite and give people the right sounding names. Its not as if the names are so hard even the poles can be pronounced with a certain professional competence Jennys latest attempt was Nanyando; whats so ruddy hard... Nanyondo.

Leave a comment:

• LuckySpikes
    replied
    Originally posted by philipo View Post
    When the blazes will Jenny learn to do her job which involves pronouncing athletes names correctly; Mbomba? Mbumba? No dear, Mboma.
    Couldn't get even Crouser's first name. Forgot he is called Ryan Crouser.He is fairly well known..I hope that next year the youtube channel can find somebody with some wider knowledge of the full range of events.

Leave a comment:

• Occasional Hope
    replied
    Noah Kibet looks like a brilliant young talent.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X