No announcement yet.

2021 Outdoors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucky's right, definitely some post OG lethargy. On track and forum alike.

Comes to something when Crouser throws 22.67 and I think that's a bit pants. I almost fainted when I saw he'd posted a 21.98 opener. Bloke has set some standards!

Dull javelin stat of the day - from 15 comps (ignoring OG qualifying) Vetter's seasonal average is 89.67. That average is further than any other thrower has managed even once this year (Krukowski is 2nd in rankings at 89.55) and would have won the OG by over 2m. Quite astounding numbers, one day we'll find out what really happened in Tokyo. Bit of a return to form in last couple of weeks with an 88.54 and a 89.60. Would be great to see him back over 90 in Zurich.

Comment

• Good fields for the Great North Run on Sunday - https://athleticsweekly.com/event-ne...un-1039949321/

A fair bit deeper than usual it seems.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfie View Post
        Well I quite enjoyed the first day at Zurich - although not sure mixed long jumping turns or 560 metre tracks are going to be the way of the future 😄

That women's HJ was a ripper - once again those three gave us a wonderful contest ! If they keep pushing each other like this , I wonder could one of them possibly get up to threaten that long standing 2.09 ?

On the down side , Niyonsaba threatens to turn the long distance event into something like the 800 of recent years. I appreciate there are complicated issues ; but I still feel for a generation of 800 metre runners who must have felt their world aspirations were essentially limited to running for 4th place...

Onto the main track tonight !
        If next year, athletes outside the USA have to cope with WC in Eugene, CG in Birmingham and the Europeans in Munich, all complete by about the 3rd week in August, the later Diamond League meets are going to be for knackered European, Caribbean and African athletes up to middle September
        .Americans will be able to rest after the WC finishes in late July and by mid August they will be flourishing for the DL meets; going to be a strange year.!

Comment

• Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
          Good fields for the Great North Run on Sunday - https://athleticsweekly.com/event-ne...un-1039949321/

A fair bit deeper than usual it seems.
          Not Mo Farah’s annual testimonial race as it has been for the last decade, then.

Siderova makes all the other PV women look a bit ordinary.
          Last edited by Grassmarket; 09-09-21, 19:33.

Comment

• Great night for our 100m ladies!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grassmarket View Post
              Great night for our 100m ladies!
              dina back to something approaching her best, neita edging closer to true world class

Comment

• Originally posted by drobbie View Post

dina back to something approaching her best, neita edging closer to true world class
                Good morale booster for the winter: I think she was a bit in danger of being left high-and-dry by all the 10:70s & better.

Comment

• Keeley has done all our 800m runners a big huge favour tonight!

12th ever British DL winner.
                  Last edited by Grassmarket; 09-09-21, 21:13.

Comment

• That’s been a great evening: really a step back to the 1980s for Zurich, which had lost its place as the world best meet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grassmarket View Post
                      Great night for our 100m ladies!
                      Very encouraging for the knotweed.

And what a year Hodgkinson has had!

Comment

• Great meeting tonight! All a bit breathless with so much to pack in to 3 hours.

Originally posted by Ursus View Post

And what a year Hodgkinson has had!
                        In the space of just over 7 months ...
                        • World U20 Indoor Record
                        • European Indoor Champion
                        • Olympic Silver medalist
                        • British Record
                        • Diamond League Champion
                        Not bad for a teenager!

Comment

• Grassmarket
                          Grassmarket commented
                          Editing a comment
                          She’ll be gutted at having missed the U-20s in Tallinn, though.

• RunUnlimited
                          RunUnlimited commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Grassmarket
                          I'm pretty sure that before the season started that one of Keely's major goals for it would have been to go for gold in Tallinn.... But those ideas kinda went out of the window when she set (briefly) the indoor WJR over 800 m, then winning the indoor European title less than a month later. The plans were totally shelved when she opened her outdoor season by winning in the World Athletics Tour event in Ostrava with a then-British U20 record 1:58.89, while beating a world class field of much older competitors. Once that happened, the European U20's was small change in comparison. No other European U20 ran under 2:02, let alone under 2 minutes, this year. It would have been a cake walk.

• Grassmarket
                          Grassmarket commented
                          Editing a comment
                          RunUnlimited I was kind of joking!

• That was an extremely entertaining night of athletics, they should stick with this format for future DL finals.

There was barely a breath of air in that stadium and Allman almost threw 70m. The winning distance in the mens, the winning distance in the men’s was 66mid. Allman has been one of the breakthrough performers of the year.

Hodgkinson has been superb all year and what a way to finish the season off. A better race tonight than in Brussels where she gave Goule too much of a head start on the back straight. She mentioned to AW that she’d like to be involved in the 4x4, the full interview to appear in next month’s AW according to their Twitter page.

Comment

• When you look at the likes of Hodgkinson, Mu and the incredible Raducanu in the tennis you have to wonder whether we’re generally too cautious with young talent (and what the point of u23 is......).

Of course there are loads of considerations around developing young athletes and we have no idea how long their careers will be. But I’m generally of the mindset that if they’re good enough they’re old enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ursus View Post
                            When you look at the likes of Hodgkinson, Mu and the incredible Raducanu in the tennis you have to wonder whether we’re generally too cautious with young talent (and what the point of u23 is......).

Of course there are loads of considerations around developing young athletes and we have no idea how long their careers will be. But I’m generally of the mindset that if they’re good enough they’re old enough.
                            The whole point about Hodgkinson & Raducanu is that they ARE exceptional & others are going to take the Linford Christie/Kelly Holmes route. But I agree with you and Paula Radcliffe that if they are not challenging at age 22 they’re probably going to be Commonwealth/European level at best. But we need those as well, of course.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ursus View Post
                              When you look at the likes of Hodgkinson, Mu and the incredible Raducanu in the tennis you have to wonder whether we’re generally too cautious with young talent (and what the point of u23 is......).

I think as long as they are handled correctly that is absolutely correct.

Comment

Working...
                              X