X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Ursus

• Ursus
    commented on 's reply
    Chip off the old block then! Any details? I can only see that Nestarenko (whatever happened to him?) still holds the mark with both senior and 1.75kg implements, although Alekna jnr is right up there.
  • Ursus

• Ursus
    commented on 's reply
    Fair point, but was discounting windy efforts although that was marginal. With a stronger wind he also did an 8.92.
  • Grassmarket

• Grassmarket
    replied
    Originally posted by Ursus View Post
    If I’m right Warholm’s run means that the 1500 is now the longest standing Olympic track individual men’s WR, dating back to 98 (4x4 goes back to 93, but we all know relays don’t count :-)).

In the field this is predated by DT (86), HT (86), LJ (91), HJ (93), TJ (95) and JT (96).

SP (90) is probably strictly on that list too as I doubt Crouser’s mark has been ratified yet. Mondo only broke the proper (ie outdoor) mark last year which dated back to 94.

Make of that what you will (and some of you will definitely make things of it!) but looks like no men’s outdoor field WRs were set between 96 and 2020 which is quite staggering really.

Might have been even worse if Bubka had actually tried to see what he was really capable of rather than inching (centimetring!) up the bar for the cash.

There have been near misses though….

DT - Alekna 73.88 in 00

Alekna’s son beat the U20WR a few days back, will be going to the European U-20s in a couple of weeks.

Leave a comment:

• RunUnlimited

• RunUnlimited
    replied
    Originally posted by Ursus View Post
    If I’m right Warholm’s run means that the 1500 is now the longest standing Olympic track individual men’s WR, dating back to 98 (4x4 goes back to 93, but we all know relays don’t count :-)).

In the field this is predated by DT (86), HT (86), LJ (91), HJ (93), TJ (95) and JT (96).

SP (90) is probably strictly on that list too as I doubt Crouser’s mark has been ratified yet. Mondo only broke the proper (ie outdoor) mark last year which dated back to 94.

Make of that what you will (and some of you will definitely make things of it!) but looks like no men’s outdoor field WRs were set between 96 and 2020 which is quite staggering really.

Might have been even worse if Bubka had actually tried to see what he was really capable of rather than inching (centimetring!) up the bar for the cash.

DT - Alekna 73.88 in 00

JT - Vetter’s 97.76 last year

TJ - Taylor’s 18.21 in 15

HJ - Barshim’s 2.43 in 14.

HT and LJ pretty much unchallenged.
    Err, you're forgetting Echavarria's 8.83 marginally windy long jump effort in Stockholm 2019, the one where he almost jumped out of the pit? That was challenging the LJ WR for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Ursus

• Ursus
    replied

DT - Alekna 73.88 in 00

JT - Vetter’s 97.76 last year

TJ - Taylor’s 18.21 in 15

HJ - Barshim’s 2.43 in 14.

HT and LJ pretty much unchallenged.

Leave a comment:

• LuckySpikes

• LuckySpikes
    replied
    Ethiopian team of 34 named for Tokyo - https://www.worldathletics.org/compe...-olympic-games

Strictly no doubling allowed!

Gudaf Tsegay confirmed for the 5000, not the 1500.
    Getnet Wale doing the 5000 not the Steeple - what is he & the federation thinking?! With Kipruto possibly out he'd be the favourite for Steeple gold ! The 5000 on the other hand will be absolutely loaded in Tokyo. No Lamecha Girma in the Steeple either.

No place on the team for Genzebe Dibaba or Muktar Edris. The end of an era?

Leave a comment:

• Walsh7

• Walsh7
    commented on 's reply
    Agreed! With Cheruiyot not going to Tokyo, McSweyn will have to do the heavy pace work by himself if he wants to get a medal. If Tokyo is a tactical race, then McSweyn has no chance at a medal!
  • philipo

• philipo
    replied
    Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
    Great win in the DreAm Mile for museum, grice shied again why he isn’t in the British team.
    I'm an admirer of McSweyn . great run by him. Lewandowski certainly knows how to pour it on over the last few hundred metres. In the OG he will do well in a slow tactical race. The Kenyans nothing special based on this race.

Leave a comment:

• MysteryBrick

• MysteryBrick
    commented on 's reply
    Probably both! I loved his reaction too. He's a serious talent, only 20!!!
  • philipo

• philipo
    replied
    Originally posted by Jogger
    Great run from McColgan, I really didn't expect that. She deserves credit for the way she stuck to the Africans for so long, and was rewarded with a British record.
    Absolutely, excellent courage in that run.

Leave a comment:

• trickstat

• trickstat
    replied
    Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post
    *HAH!* Just watching that world record run again and in the slow-mo replay afterwards, when it shows Warholm crossing the line from face on, it shows Dos Santos following him and looking at the trackside clock... and the look of surprise and shock on the young Brazilian's face at what it showed is just priceless!
    I wonder if that was just "wow 46.70 that's quick!" or "46.70 that's quicker than I thought because I'm quite close"?

Leave a comment:

• RunUnlimited

• RunUnlimited
    replied
    *HAH!* Just watching that world record run again and in the slow-mo replay afterwards, when it shows Warholm crossing the line from face on, it shows Dos Santos following him and looking at the trackside clock... and the look of surprise and shock on the young Brazilian's face at what it showed is just priceless!

Leave a comment:

• RunUnlimited

• RunUnlimited
    replied
    Do Santos btw continues to impress... Another AR with 47.38, moving up to =15th on the world all-time list, and not that far behind Warholm in the end.... And he only turned 21 on the 3rd of June! Massive talent.

Leave a comment:

• Ursus

• Ursus
    replied
    Stunning from Warholm and at Bislett too! Stuff dreams are made of.

Leave a comment:

• LuckySpikes

• LuckySpikes
    replied
    Get in, Karsten!! Love watching him run. Just pedal to the metal all the way around!

Dos Santos another South American record, 47.38 !

Leave a comment:

Working...
X