Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LuckySpikes
    replied
    Ha, the shortest obituary ever on the WA site? Currently just one sentence. They "note the death" not their usual "saddened to hear ..."

https://www.worldathletics.org/news/...ine-diack-dies

Leave a comment:

• Grassmarket
    replied
    BBC covering the next few World Champs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/59523137

Leave a comment:

• Grassmarket
    replied
    Corrupt former IAAF head Lamine Diack dies.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sp...88-2021-12-03/

Leave a comment:

• Grassmarket
    replied
    World Athletes of the Year named - Karsten Warholm & Elaine Thompson-Herah.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/59496103

Leave a comment:

• philipo
    replied
    Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post

It has nothing to do with her being coached by Salazar but rather to do with the ridiculous way she was closing races starting from 2019.

I made a fairly long post about it 2 years ago but AW managed to delete 3 months of my posts so unfortunately it's lost to the ether.

To summarise, Hassan had sustained finishes that were far faster than any female athlete had run before (and notably in races that weren't that slow up to that point). In particular 2 races raised my suspicions ...

1) The Diamond League 5000m Final - ridiculous last 1000m
    2) The WCh 10,000 in Doha - unbelievable last 1500

I can provide more detail (numbers basically) if you request it.
    sorry we will have to disagree lucky. Glad to see my second choice won the womens award, ETH. well deserved, and Warholm for the mens award. Congrats to both.
    Mu deserved her award as rising star .

The whole history of athleteics is full of athletes who did amazing things such as Owens WRs in Ann Arbor in a couple of hours; Zatopek's amazing |Marathon in his first attempt, when winning the Gold Medal in 1952. These and countless amazing performances would have taken the Letsrun nutters by storm who would have been babbling about doping, for sure.Its very easy to point the finger at any World Record holder.!!!

Leave a comment:

• LuckySpikes
    replied
    Originally posted by philipo View Post

the question of Hassan being possibly tainted is a dangerous game merely because she was part of the nutter Salazar group, but she has not been found remotely guilty of doping and,in any event, the fact of being one of the athletes of the Oregon Projec tleading to a doping suspicion is too harsh . Is our multi gold medals champion Mo Farah equally guilty... too much smell of LetsRun for me.
    It has nothing to do with her being coached by Salazar but rather to do with the ridiculous way she was closing races starting from 2019.

I made a fairly long post about it 2 years ago but AW managed to delete 3 months of my posts so unfortunately it's lost to the ether.

To summarise, Hassan had sustained finishes that were far faster than any female athlete had run before (and notably in races that weren't that slow up to that point). In particular 2 races raised my suspicions ...

1) The Diamond League 5000m Final - ridiculous last 1000m
    2) The WCh 10,000 in Doha - unbelievable last 1500

I can provide more detail (numbers basically) if you request it.

Leave a comment:

• philipo
    replied
    Originally posted by LoveSprints1 View Post

Elaine or Sydney. Elaine is the rightful world record holder in the 100m and 200m. Sydney's performance was up right up there with Warholm's IMO. She competed sparingly over 400mH but to become the first woman to go sub 52 at the US trials then take another half a second off that in the Olympic final was absolutely amazing. Not sure why she is not being talked about more on this forum.

Rojas's technique makes me wince, but cannot take away from what she has achieved and let's hope she can sort out her second phase and become the first woman over 16m in 2022. Faith Kipyegon also had a sublime season. Would love to see her given the respect she deserves. As Laura Muir said of Faith after the 1500m OLY final:"She's the greatest of all time. She doesn't get enough credit. She's won everything there is. I've got a lot of respect for her and I'm very, very happy to see her winning gold and I'm honoured to be behind her in that race."
    When assessing an athlete for the AOY surely one should take on board that such an athlete has dominated in two events. For me the records of a notorious doper Flo Jo and the nonsense of her 10.49 that never was, makes ETH a WR holder and a co fave for the 2021 title of AOY.
    .ETH competed many times against one of the greatest sprinters of all time, whereas Rojas had no comparable competition during the year.

Leave a comment:

• philipo
    replied

For me, McLaughlin didn't race enough at her best event. You can't build an "AOY season" on just 3 finals if the other contenders are so strong.

Yes, Faith Kipyegon had a season for the ages in the 1500 - four times sub-3:54 this year, which obviously is unprecedented.
    the question of Hassan being possibly tainted is a dangerous game merely because she was part of the nutter Salazar group, but she has not been found remotely guilty of doping and,in any event, the fact of being one of the athletes of the Oregon Projec tleading to a doping suspicion is too harsh . Is our multi gold medals champion Mo Farah equally guilty... too much smell of LetsRun for me.

Leave a comment:

• treadwater1
    replied
    Perhaps it’s just me but I’m not too concerned about McLaughlin (or anyone else in a similar position) competing sparingly, it shouldn’t affect their AOY credentials, in 10 years time the majority won’t remember whether she did or didn’t win X number of diamond league races, the WRs will be prominent in the memory and should have a huge bearing on the outcome. In all honesty I’d be happy for either McLaughlin or Rojas to win, Rojas puts a huge tick in that box when it comes to personality and a love for competition. It’s stunning that someone who’s completed the double double is only good enough for third this year, we’ve been spoilt

Ive been leaning towards Warholm for much of the year but I’m starting to swing back towards Crouser. Warholm taking down a very tough record was impressive but Crouser eclipsed what is largely seen as a doped WR, which stood for longer than Kevin Youngs

Leave a comment:

• LuckySpikes
    replied
    Originally posted by LoveSprints1 View Post

Elaine or Sydney. Elaine is the rightful world record holder in the 100m and 200m. Sydney's performance was up right up there with Warholm's IMO. She competed sparingly over 400mH but to become the first woman to go sub 52 at the US trials then take another half a second off that in the Olympic final was absolutely amazing. Not sure why she is not being talked about more on this forum.

Rojas's technique makes me wince, but cannot take away from what she has achieved and let's hope she can sort out her second phase and become the first woman over 16m in 2022. Faith Kipyegon also had a sublime season. Would love to see her given the respect she deserves. As Laura Muir said of Faith after the 1500m OLY final:"She's the greatest of all time. She doesn't get enough credit. She's won everything there is. I've got a lot of respect for her and I'm very, very happy to see her winning gold and I'm honoured to be behind her in that race."
    For me, McLaughlin didn't race enough at her best event. You can't build an "AOY season" on just 3 finals if the other contenders are so strong.

Yes, Faith Kipyegon had a season for the ages in the 1500 - four times sub-3:54 this year, which obviously is unprecedented.

Leave a comment:

• LoveSprints1
    replied

It has to be between Rojas & Thompson-Herah I think. Rojas was undefeated (except for one of those DL final round things) whereas ETH took a couple of defeats so I'll go with Rojas then ETH.

Last edited by LoveSprints1; 29-11-21, 21:09.

Leave a comment:

• LuckySpikes
    replied

And ignore the greatest double and near triple in OG history and a WR earlier over 10k by Hassan. Far superior to Rojas who, frankly, is a terrible exponenent of the technique TJ but at 6 feet 4 inches has a slight advantage over the others!!One event , R excels in, not 3 events..
    Sorry, I don't trust Hassan (I also said it a couple of years ago on this forum).

Leave a comment:

• trickstat
    commented on 's reply
    Distance WRs at the moment seem to have quite a short shelf-life. Rojas broke a record that was 26 years old.

• philipo
    replied

It has to be between Rojas & Thompson-Herah I think. Rojas was undefeated (except for one of those DL final round things) whereas ETH took a couple of defeats so I'll go with Rojas then ETH.
    And ignore the greatest double and near triple in OG history and a WR earlier over 10k by Hassan. Far superior to Rojas who, frankly, is a terrible exponenent of the technique TJ but at 6 feet 4 inches has a slight advantage over the others!!One event , R excels in, not 3 events..

Leave a comment:

• LuckySpikes
    replied
    Now that the finalists for Women's athlete of the year have been selected, being Hassan, Kipyegon, McClaughlin, Rojas, and ETH, who do posters think should be first and second.?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X