Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK Outdoor June 2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by treadwater1 View Post
    Nick Miller threw 78.39 last night in Poland to finish third, beating a number of athletes who were finalists in Rio and London in the process

    Hitchon has had her ups and downs in the past and come good when it matters. I think the problem for her is a number of good athletes have emerged in the last 18 months, Kopron and the 2 Americans have started to produce decent results outside the States. A third American, Andersen has thrown further than Hitchons NR this season
    More good news about Nick Miller! That's his second best ever throw if I'm not mistaken, so this season looks like being a good one for Miller. Can he go beyond the 80m mark this year, like he did in winning Commonwealth gold last year? He's seemingly on the right track for that currently, getting good consistency in the high 70m range.

    As for Hitchon, let's see how this season shapes up for her. I hope she can get back into the 72m/73m range again soon in the hammer, because those are the types of distances needed to get into World and Olympic hammer finals.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Laps View Post
      Sophie Hitchon and how the new technique is coming along -

      https://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport...doha-1-9769662
      Well, hopefully she'll see the fruit of the change in technique at some point this season. Obviously still a few teething problems with it so far this year. But if she can get it right, then it will be real good for her.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post
        As for Hitchon, let's see how this season shapes up for her. I hope she can get back into the 72m/73m range again soon in the hammer, because those are the types of distances needed to get into World and Olympic hammer finals.
        She threw 71.98 as far back as 2012. She should be looking way beyond those kind of distances now, which is clearly the aim of the technique change. We've been hearing about that for a while now, but undoing all the muscle memory and engraining new habits which stand up under pressure is a massive ask at this stage of her career - soon to turn 28 so should be at the absolute peak of her powers. Not an expert on the intricacies of hammer technique, but hope its a case of evolution, not revolution. Since the start of last year she's competed 13 times, 7 of which were over 70, 4 sub 70 and 2 nm. A couple of 73s in there, but not really where she'd want to be at this stage of her career. Hopefully she's taken a step back to go forward, but I'm not putting my house on it.

        Good news on Miller. Puts him 4th in the world rankings. 2 Poles over 80 already.

        Comment


        • RunUnlimited
          RunUnlimited commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry, I was being too modest in the range of distances for Sophie there. I should have said 74m/76m range, as you are correct, she should be throwing that far fairly regularly now at this stage of her career.
          I guess the technique change has that in mind, but as you point out, changing a technique that you've had most of your life is going to be pretty hard. Let's hope that she nails it and starts throwing to her true potential.

      • #49
        Hi,

        Don't post much but do observe.

        Javelin - Mortimore retired once he finished his time at University as he doesn't have either the time or the facilities at hand to continue to train at the level he wanted to be at.
        Dunderdale has a stress fracture in his elbow and will be out for the foreseeable future.
        Max Law, last years 4th place at the European U18 champs and only just turned 17 years old, is currently the World No1 U18 with the 800g having thrown it 68.57m at the SEAA U20 Champs recently. I understand he has intentions to throw the 700g in some U18 events later this season and will surely end up the World Number 1 with that weight too.

        Comment


      • #50
        Originally posted by ThrowsFan View Post
        Hi,

        Don't post much but do observe.

        Javelin - Mortimore retired once he finished his time at University as he doesn't have either the time or the facilities at hand to continue to train at the level he wanted to be at.
        Dunderdale has a stress fracture in his elbow and will be out for the foreseeable future.
        Max Law, last years 4th place at the European U18 champs and only just turned 17 years old, is currently the World No1 U18 with the 800g having thrown it 68.57m at the SEAA U20 Champs recently. I understand he has intentions to throw the 700g in some U18 events later this season and will surely end up the World Number 1 with that weight too.
        Mortimore = A damn shame.

        Dunderdale = Hope he recovers, but a stress fracture in the elbow area is particularly bad news for a javelin thrower.

        Max Law = He's looking good (and I'm hoping he does really well because he's from my Borough of London, Havering!), but then again, we've had some promising male jav throwers at junior level in the past decade or so and the majority of them haven't made a breakthrough, apart from Harry Hughes, so fingers crossed that Law does continue to develop as he seems to be currently.

        Also, hi there ThrowsFan!

        Comment


        • #51
          Originally posted by Ursus View Post

          She threw 71.98 as far back as 2012. She should be looking way beyond those kind of distances now, which is clearly the aim of the technique change. We've been hearing about that for a while now, but undoing all the muscle memory and engraining new habits which stand up under pressure is a massive ask at this stage of her career - soon to turn 28 so should be at the absolute peak of her powers. Not an expert on the intricacies of hammer technique, but hope its a case of evolution, not revolution. Since the start of last year she's competed 13 times, 7 of which were over 70, 4 sub 70 and 2 nm. A couple of 73s in there, but not really where she'd want to be at this stage of her career. Hopefully she's taken a step back to go forward, but I'm not putting my house on it.

          Good news on Miller. Puts him 4th in the world rankings. 2 Poles over 80 already.
          78.39 for Miller in Bydgocz behind the two Polish top guys in the Hammer Challenge

          Comment


          • #52
            oops ... old news !!!

            Comment


            • #53
              Originally posted by ThrowsFan View Post
              Hi,

              Don't post much but do observe.

              Javelin - Mortimore retired once he finished his time at University as he doesn't have either the time or the facilities at hand to continue to train at the level he wanted to be at.
              Dunderdale has a stress fracture in his elbow and will be out for the foreseeable future.
              Max Law, last years 4th place at the European U18 champs and only just turned 17 years old, is currently the World No1 U18 with the 800g having thrown it 68.57m at the SEAA U20 Champs recently. I understand he has intentions to throw the 700g in some U18 events later this season and will surely end up the World Number 1 with that weight too.
              That will teach me to say that Dunderdale is the exception in generally making it on to the runway. Bonne Buwembo has just returned after a couple of years out which I think was injury related too. Too many injuries to be coincidental.

              Shame about Mortimore, but there’s more to life than unremunerated athletics. An unfulfilled talent.

              Law’s a talent, good luck to him. His coach is shown on Power of 10 as Sam Harrison, who took Bonne so far. Not sure what his elite level credentials are, but I think jimevs who posts here occasionally knows him well.

              Comment


              • #54
                Originally posted by Ursus View Post

                That will teach me to say that Dunderdale is the exception in generally making it on to the runway. Bonne Buwembo has just returned after a couple of years out which I think was injury related too. Too many injuries to be coincidental.

                Shame about Mortimore, but there’s more to life than unremunerated athletics. An unfulfilled talent.

                Law’s a talent, good luck to him. His coach is shown on Power of 10 as Sam Harrison, who took Bonne so far. Not sure what his elite level credentials are, but I think jimevs who posts here occasionally knows him well.
                Yes Bonne Buwembo is back after a 2 year break, two lots of surgery on his knee and got married to his long term partner in the time away! I believe that he is the only javelin thrower to have been National Champion from almost every age group U15 upwards (he may have just missed out on the U23). Can anyone else show such longevity at that level in the UK? He actually holds a UK Age best from his U15 days when he threw the 800g javelin over 51m. An effort not surpassed by anyone else who has attempted it (throwers such as Daniel Pembroke and Matti Mortimore to name a few)

                Law - currently looks like a super talent. Has broken records at his club, his county, his region and also holds a world age best with the 700g as a 13 year old (over 55m). some of the records he has broken are no mean feats. Last summer he broke the SEAA U17 Championship record held by Gary Jenson since 1983 when he threw over 72m!
                The video of that throw can be found here (4m15secs onwards) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD3Q3N1vrJY

                Last edited by ThrowsFan; 14-06-19, 13:42.

                Comment


                • #55
                  A 10 second PB for Amy-Eloise Neale in the 5000 last night in Massachusetts - 15:11.11 for 3rd behind Elinor Purrier's 15:08.

                  Charles Maxwell Da'Vall Grice-Cawder won the Mile at the same meeting in 3:54.77.

                  Also last night, in Canada, Sarah Inglis took 25s off her 10,000 track PB ahead of her first British vest next month at Highgate - 32:11 for 2nd behind Natasha Wodak 32:09.

                  And another PB - Jemma Reekie ran a 1.2s PB in the 800 in Dessau tonight, 2:01.45 in 3rd behind Olga Lyakhova 2:01.20.

                  Comment


                  • #56
                    Geez... Max Burgin begins his 2019 like he ended his 2018 campaign, completely dominant! Following the pace maker, Max destroyed the rest of the field at the BMC meeting at Loughbrough, winning in 1:46.78! The dude is still 16!

                    [Edit]: Burgin's time has been revised to 1:46.80... That still makes him the 7th fastest UK U-20 800m of all time.
                    Last edited by RunUnlimited; Yesterday, 19:21.

                    Comment


                    • #57
                      Just saw Burgin as well, very impressive. Shame Markim lonsdale has gone backwards after posting a similar time 2 years ago.

                      Comment


                      • #58
                        Brilliant news overnight in the US;

                        Josh Kerr 3.33.60 1500, winning by 1.5s, and in a manner that suggests he can go quite a bit faster. Three other Brits under 3.37 in the same race - James West & Neil Gourley 3.35, and Will Paulson 3.36.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X