No announcement yet.

UK Outdoor June 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yikes... Just watching the Parvo Nurmi Games on Eurosport right now and they've just done a highlights package for the women's hammer. Won by Wlodarczyk as you might expect, but as this is the UK outdoor thread I'll mostly focus on the Brit competing there, Sophie Hitchon.

Unfortunately it is not good news for her in the hammer. After starting her season with a 67 meter effort, her worst such season opening mark since she was a junior athlete, followed it up here with three no throws!

I dunno, but since no-marking at the Commonwealth Games last year and just about scraping into the hammer final in Berlin later in 2018 (and not making much of a mark in it, finishing 8th), Hitchon's form seems to have tailed off quite badly during major championships since the 2016 Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post
      Yikes... Just watching the Parvo Nurmi Games on Eurosport right now and they've just done a highlights package for the women's hammer. Won by Wlodarczyk as you might expect, but as this is the UK outdoor thread I'll mostly focus on the Brit competing there, Sophie Hitchon.

Unfortunately it is not good news for her in the hammer. After starting her season with a 67 meter effort, her worst such season opening mark since she was a junior athlete, followed it up here with three no throws!

I dunno, but since no-marking at the Commonwealth Games last year and just about scraping into the hammer final in Berlin later in 2018 (and not making much of a mark in it, finishing 8th), Hitchon's form seems to have tailed off quite badly during major championships since the 2016 Olympics.
      Hmmm. As you say this isn’t the first time. She should be at the peak of her powers with 70 being regulation.

Rio was fantastic but I’said more than once that I think it will be her only real day in the sun.

Hopefully she’ll prove me wrong. And also scary how far ahead of the domestic competition she is.

Comment

noticed from Po10 results that Edoburun had run a 10.17 in Turku, Finland. I was sure a couple of seasons ago he would be making great strides (pun intended) and if he does find sub 10 form it will make for even more interesting trials...

Comment

Originally posted by Ursus View Post

Hmmm. As you say this isn’t the first time. She should be at the peak of her powers with 70 being regulation.

Rio was fantastic but I’said more than once that I think it will be her only real day in the sun.

Hopefully she’ll prove me wrong. And also scary how far ahead of the domestic competition she is.
          Eh, there's a couple of half-decent U-23's who have set PB's in the 62/63m range, but at the same age, Hitchon was already throwing over 70m. Hopefully as you say, Hitchon gets back on track and the younger hammer throwers develop towards the 70m mark themselves.

Comment

Eh, there's a couple of half-decent U-23's who have set PB's in the 62/63m range, but at the same age, Hitchon was already throwing over 70m. Hopefully as you say, Hitchon gets back on track and the younger hammer throwers develop towards the 70m mark themselves.
            Even well below par she’s still 4m clear of the domestic pack. Last year it was 10m. In 2018 and this year so far no-one else has exceeded 64.

Mind you, Hughes is 11m clear in the spear. Where’s Whiteaker, has Mortimore retired?

Comment

• camerajuan
              camerajuan commented
              Editing a comment
              Hope not! 2 years after 77m he should be pushing on but hasn't thrown since end of that season I think.

emerson out for the season after gotzis, Partial tear of her patellar tendon lavaii nielsen runs 51.51 at Bydgoszcz hopefully she can run under 51 this year

Comment

Originally posted by drobbie View Post
              emerson out for the season after gotzis, Partial tear of her patellar tendon lavaii nielsen runs 51.51 at Bydgoszcz hopefully she can run under 51 this year
              Horrible news about Emerson. Hopefully she'll make a full recovery and be fit and healthy for Tokyo 2020.

On the other hand, that is some good news about Lavai Neilsen. Running easily her fastest season opener in her career, perhaps your hope that she runs sub 51 this year will happen sooner rather than later.

[Edit]: And it should be added that with the 51.51 time, that Neilsen has achieved the Doha qualifying standard too. Double good news for her!
              Last edited by RunUnlimited; 12-06-19, 21:54.

Comment

Nothing for Mortimore since 1.7.17

Whiteaker had 4 comps last year and 5 in 17.

Hughes missed the whole of last year.

Benji Pearson has had his promising career wrecked by injury - 74.71 in 2014 before he’d turned 20. Nothing in 15, 1 comp in both 16 and 17, half a dozen in 65-69 range last year and is now on the way back from further surgery. I dip into his social media from time to time, he still seems determined to give it a lash, most in his position would have quit.

What an event! A total body wrecker, which makes technique and quality coaching all the more important.....cue never ending discussion.

Dunderdale seems to make it on to the runway regularly but hasn’t really got close to his 2014 76m PB. As he was only 21 then you would have hoped he’d kick on.

Comment

Originally posted by Ursus View Post
                  Nothing for Mortimore since 1.7.17

Whiteaker had 4 comps last year and 5 in 17.

Hughes missed the whole of last year.

Benji Pearson has had his promising career wrecked by injury - 74.71 in 2014 before he’d turned 20. Nothing in 15, 1 comp in both 16 and 17, half a dozen in 65-69 range last year and is now on the way back from further surgery. I dip into his social media from time to time, he still seems determined to give it a lash, most in his position would have quit.

What an event! A total body wrecker, which makes technique and quality coaching all the more important.....cue never ending discussion.

Dunderdale seems to make it on to the runway regularly but hasn’t really got close to his 2014 76m PB. As he was only 21 then you would have hoped he’d kick on.
                  Which makes the longevity of truly world class jav exponents like Backley and Zelezny all the more remarkable. They threw it over 90m or near to it for pretty much a decade or more... Imagine the stresses on the shoulders, elbow, pectorals, hips and knees, from throwing the spear that far?

Comment

Nick Miller threw 78.39 last night in Poland to finish third, beating a number of athletes who were finalists in Rio and London in the process

Hitchon has had her ups and downs in the past and come good when it matters. I think the problem for her is a number of good athletes have emerged in the last 18 months, Kopron and the 2 Americans have started to produce decent results outside the States. A third American, Andersen has thrown further than Hitchons NR this season

Comment

Sophie Hitchon and how the new technique is coming along -

https://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport...doha-1-9769662

Comment

Originally posted by treadwater1 View Post
                        Nick Miller threw 78.39 last night in Poland to finish third, beating a number of athletes who were finalists in Rio and London in the process

Hitchon has had her ups and downs in the past and come good when it matters. I think the problem for her is a number of good athletes have emerged in the last 18 months, Kopron and the 2 Americans have started to produce decent results outside the States. A third American, Andersen has thrown further than Hitchons NR this season
                        More good news about Nick Miller! That's his second best ever throw if I'm not mistaken, so this season looks like being a good one for Miller. Can he go beyond the 80m mark this year, like he did in winning Commonwealth gold last year? He's seemingly on the right track for that currently, getting good consistency in the high 70m range.

As for Hitchon, let's see how this season shapes up for her. I hope she can get back into the 72m/73m range again soon in the hammer, because those are the types of distances needed to get into World and Olympic hammer finals.

Comment

Originally posted by Laps View Post
                          Sophie Hitchon and how the new technique is coming along -

https://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport...doha-1-9769662
                          Well, hopefully she'll see the fruit of the change in technique at some point this season. Obviously still a few teething problems with it so far this year. But if she can get it right, then it will be real good for her.

Comment

As for Hitchon, let's see how this season shapes up for her. I hope she can get back into the 72m/73m range again soon in the hammer, because those are the types of distances needed to get into World and Olympic hammer finals.
                            She threw 71.98 as far back as 2012. She should be looking way beyond those kind of distances now, which is clearly the aim of the technique change. We've been hearing about that for a while now, but undoing all the muscle memory and engraining new habits which stand up under pressure is a massive ask at this stage of her career - soon to turn 28 so should be at the absolute peak of her powers. Not an expert on the intricacies of hammer technique, but hope its a case of evolution, not revolution. Since the start of last year she's competed 13 times, 7 of which were over 70, 4 sub 70 and 2 nm. A couple of 73s in there, but not really where she'd want to be at this stage of her career. Hopefully she's taken a step back to go forward, but I'm not putting my house on it.

Good news on Miller. Puts him 4th in the world rankings. 2 Poles over 80 already.

Comment

• RunUnlimited
                              RunUnlimited commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Sorry, I was being too modest in the range of distances for Sophie there. I should have said 74m/76m range, as you are correct, she should be throwing that far fairly regularly now at this stage of her career.
                              I guess the technique change has that in mind, but as you point out, changing a technique that you've had most of your life is going to be pretty hard. Let's hope that she nails it and starts throwing to her true potential.

Hi,

Don't post much but do observe.

Javelin - Mortimore retired once he finished his time at University as he doesn't have either the time or the facilities at hand to continue to train at the level he wanted to be at.
                            Dunderdale has a stress fracture in his elbow and will be out for the foreseeable future.
                            Max Law, last years 4th place at the European U18 champs and only just turned 17 years old, is currently the World No1 U18 with the 800g having thrown it 68.57m at the SEAA U20 Champs recently. I understand he has intentions to throw the 700g in some U18 events later this season and will surely end up the World Number 1 with that weight too.

Comment

Working...
                          X