UK Outdoor June 2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Outdoor June 2019

As a bit of housekeeping, may I suggest we have a topic for UK results in June, the season is starting to simmer

someone I have been keeping my eye on ... US-based Brit Thomas Staines, son of Olympians Linda & Gary, runs a World Champs qualifier of 1:45.67 for 3rd in an 800m in Nashville, Tennessee

Nick Miller is so far in 4th place in the hammer at Halle, with a best of 73.62m with his opening throw. Currently Pawel Fajdek leads with a 2nd round 79.04m. Taylor Campbell is in 10th place with only one valid throw, going out to 68.45m

Comment

19.77 PB for Scott Lincoln in Halle. 20’s coming....

Comment

And at Putbos run-outs for Kyle Langford, Hannah Williams and Sabrina Bakare amongst others:

http://liveresults.be/2019/putbos-me...uyle/WPdoc.txt

Comment

Originally posted by hemlock View Post
          And at Putbos run-outs for Kyle Langford, Hannah Williams and Sabrina Bakare amongst others:

http://liveresults.be/2019/putbos-me...uyle/WPdoc.txt
          Could there be some signs of life from Sabrina Bakare here?

Says in the results that she ran a 53.93 in the 400m "B" race second heat. If that is true (and it looks like the case because this result is now showing on her Power Of 10 profile too), then that's the fastest 400m she's run since she was a teenager! (2014, where she ran 53.44 at 18 years old)
          Ever since winning that World Youth 400m title in 2013 at age 17, Bakare has struggled mightily in the transition from youth prospect into senior age athletics. Since 2015, Bakare hasn't broken 54 seconds in the 400m and it looked like she would fade into obscurity as another one of many junior athletes that can't make it in the elite senior levels of the sport.

But maybe this run could be showing that Sabrina is beginning to turn it around at the age of 23. I hope so.
          Last edited by RunUnlimited; 02-06-19, 12:48.

Comment

That was a bumper crop of young female athletes. Hopefully she, along with the Hyltons and Shona Richards can recapture some of those times again over the next few years. Plenty of time - just feels like they’ve been around forever!

Comment

Doha standard for Rosie Clarke in the steeple in Nashville - 9:39.

Comment

Kilty, Cowan, King, Bramble, Tracey & Beesley are competing in Prague tomorrow, 5pm onwards. Live stream available.

Comment

Originally posted by jjimbojames View Post
                  That was a bumper crop of young female athletes. Hopefully she, along with the Hyltons and Shona Richards can recapture some of those times again over the next few years. Plenty of time - just feels like they’ve been around forever!
                  [EDIT] Oops!
                  Last edited by RunUnlimited; 03-06-19, 18:27. Reason: Turns out that was the 30 year old Welsh Hannah Williams, rather than the 21 year old sister of Jodie Williams, who was in that race over the weekend. Thanks to Paps for pointing out the error

Comment

Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post

Very true. And include Hannah Williams, Jodie's younger sister, in that crop of athletes too. She was at the same meet Bakare was at, running in the 100m rather than her more favoured distance the 400m. (BTW, this was Hannah's first officially timed 100m since was 16 years old, back in 2014!)
                    Not surprisingly she set a new 100m PB of 11.78 and with this speedwork, I hope it will go some way into getting her 400m PB improved too. It's about time that the 21 year old broke the 52 second barrier, which she's been at the last couple of years.
                    Hannah Williams is running the 400 in Riga on Tuesday, up against a decent field including Holub & Artymata.

Comment

• Paps
                      Paps commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I believe it was the Welsh Hannah Williams, not Jodie’s sister

• RunUnlimited
                      RunUnlimited commented
                      Editing a comment
                      D'oh! I was wondering why on the European Athletics it had a "Hannah Williams" born in 1989! Thanks for the heads up Paps. I'll edit my erroneous entry.

power of ten showing Lina Nielsen a PB 56.70 in 400 H at Gliwice, POL, today the 2/6 ...

Comment

At the Josef Odlozil meeting in Prague, Zuzana Hejnova made a successful start to her outdoor season with an impressive 55.02 victory in the 400m hurdles, powering away from the rest of the field on the home straight. 2nd was Canadian Sage Watson in 55.76 and in 3rd was Meghan Beesley with a season's best of 55.89, and she was right up there with Hejnova coming to the last two hurdles but faded a bit at the end. Not sure if that is a World Championship qualifying time for Meghan, but she must be close to it.

[EDIT] As it turns out, that time from Beesley *was* a world championship qualifying time. Well done to her! And judging by the way she ran in the race, she looks like she can get closer to the 55 second mark in this season.
                      Last edited by RunUnlimited; 05-06-19, 22:58.

Comment

• RunUnlimited
                        RunUnlimited commented
                        Editing a comment
                        In the men's 400m in Prague, Dwayne Cowan comes 4th in a season's best of 45.91, behind a new meeting record of 45.09 from Baboloki Thebe. Home favourite Pavel Maslak looked really bad though, never getting into the action and finishing way down the field in a disappointing 46.61

• RunUnlimited
                        RunUnlimited commented
                        Editing a comment
                        There is also British representation in the men's long jump, with Reynold Banigo and Dan Bramble jumping. Banigo finishes in 5th place with an outdoor season's best of 7.64m (he's jumped 7.77m indoors in the winter), while Bramble finishes a place and a centimeter behind him, with 7.63m as his best leap.

Much work for both of them to do if they want to qualify for Doha.

• RunUnlimited
                        RunUnlimited commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Earlier in the meeting, David King managed a season's best of 13.58 in the 110m hurdles, where he came 3rd, behind South African Antonio Alkana who won in an =SB 13.38.

Not UK but while we're on the subject of the Prague meeting ... great run by Gabriela Gajanova, the Czech lass in the 800, a 2.00.58 PB just behind Akkaoui. She's still just 19.

Comment

Seeing reports of a WC qualifier by Meghan Beesley in Prague! 55.89.

Comment

• carterhatch
                          carterhatch commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Pleased for Meghan, always comes across as a real hard worker who makes the very most of her ability, something others could learn from ... I do wonder if Lina Nielsen can find the improvement she needs from her new PB to get a qualifier, it would be nice to have three ladies competing at Doha in the event.

Originally posted by camerajuan View Post
                        Seeing reports of a WC qualifier by Meghan Beesley in Prague! 55.89.
                        ....and in 3rd was Meghan Beesley with a season's best of 55.89, and she was right up there with Hejnova coming to the last two hurdles but faded a bit at the end.
                        Way ahead of ya Camerajuan! I watched the race live on the streaming service link provided by LuckySpikes.

Comment

• camerajuan
                          camerajuan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I was not as lucky - Just got back from Cyprus so was unpacking & cleaning clothes ready for the back to reality thunderstorm of today!

Massive fan of hers. Her medal last year from Lane 1 was special!
                      Working...
                      X