• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ursus
    replied
    Originally posted by Ursus View Post

b.

He won't be anywhere near Doha. He can do whatever he likes, but I find that disappointing and telling. Hope the British selectors now say thanks for the memories and move on, even if he's still our quickest at a number of events.
    b is confirmed.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...icago-marathon

EDIT: From that link I posted: "When asked directly if he was going to run the marathon in Tokyo he said: “At the minute, yeah. The strategy is to build up in the marathon. The more marathons I do, and the more experience I get, the better chance I have of a medal.”

Well up to a point. There are marathons and there are marathons. Surely his medal chances would be enhanced by running Doha not Chicago?

Tokyo's a champs with where the marathon has an odd start time due to it being steaming hot. Likely to be slow and tactical.

Doha's a champs with where the marathon has an odd start time due to it being steaming hot. Likely to be slow and tactical.

Chicago is an Autumnal big city event likely to be fast.

I know which feels like it would be the better learning experience with Tokyo in mind. Any dissenters?
    Last edited by Ursus; 28-05-19, 15:17.

Leave a comment:

• larkim
    commented on 's reply
    I'm well into the Masters categories anyway, but road running seems to be dominated by 40-50yo men anyway! I do run on the track too with the club, but only very sporadically and only against mixed fields of U17s right through to V60s. And I'm still nowhere troubling the scoring positions! I didn't take up any running until aged 39, so i do wonder whether I might have had a decent club-runner in me, undiscovered, once upon a time when I was theoretically at my peak!

• briantyler
    replied
    Originally posted by larkim View Post
    Good to see I'm not the only one who takes part as well as watches the elites!

HM for me this weekend, will be happy with sub 88, ideally want sub 86.
    Good luck with your HM!
    spanish dictionary

Leave a comment:

• camerajuan
    commented on 's reply
    No more long stuff for me! Aimed for sub 2 last November at the Gosport Half & managed 1:58! Occasional parkrun will be my max from now on!

Been competing 26 years now, if you don't count my year out for a hip injury & my three years out for Uni!

I'm finally a master so will be all over the southern vets league this season when work allows. Rehab season doing pretty much anything then will concentrate on whatever feels right!

• Ursus
    replied

Do you think no to Doha then must mean no to Toyko? Even if he is avoiding the GB vest at the moment, he's still our best medal shot in the marathon in Tokyo.
    I think you should either be in or be out.

At the moment he’s run as many champs marathons as I have. They’re totally different beasts to the fast time / big buck chasing of the big city marathons and if he’s serious about Tokyo - his only shot at MAR OG - surely he’d be better off learning in Doha than chasing the Chicago cash.

Good luck with your HM. Won’t catch me doing one of those in a hurry!
    Last edited by Ursus; 15-05-19, 23:49.

Leave a comment:

• larkim
    commented on 's reply
    Well done - 6 x calf issues sounds unpleasant!

• larkim
    replied
    Good to see I'm not the only one who takes part as well as watches the elites!

HM for me this weekend, will be happy with sub 88, ideally want sub 86.

Leave a comment:

• camerajuan
    replied
    On a balmy day & a hilly course in Southampton, I finished the 10k in 51:22 - 10 seconds faster than the Bournemouth Bay 10k last year - which is flat as a pancake, so I'm pleased. Calves gave up about 6 times during the race though, so would've been sub-50 if not for that! Back to sprinting now! :-)

Leave a comment:

• larkim
    replied
    Originally posted by Ursus View Post

b.

He won't be anywhere near Doha. He can do whatever he likes, but I find that disappointing and telling. Hope the British selectors now say thanks for the memories and move on, even if he's still our quickest at a number of events.
    Do you think no to Doha then must mean no to Toyko? Even if he is avoiding the GB vest at the moment, he's still our best medal shot in the marathon in Tokyo.

Leave a comment:

• Ursus
    replied
    Mo commits to Chicago in the autumn - a race which takes place just 7 days after the World Champs 10000m will be held. Is he a) planning on using the World Champs as a tune up race? b) not planning on running the world champs 10000m despite rumours? or c) planning to run the 10000m and then withdraw / pocket appearance money only at Chicago?
    b.

Leave a comment:

• larkim
    replied
    Mo commits to Chicago in the autumn - a race which takes place just 7 days after the World Champs 10000m will be held. Is he a) planning on using the World Champs as a tune up race? b) not planning on running the world champs 10000m despite rumours? or c) planning to run the 10000m and then withdraw / pocket appearance money only at Chicago?

Leave a comment:

• ibarnett01
    commented on 's reply
    I've now seen the video!

• larkim
    replied
    "Carruthers was on for 2:32 but something went badly wrong after 40k and she was only at 7:15/mile pace or thereabouts for the last 2.2k."

She crawled on hands and knees across the line!

Leave a comment:

• larkim
    replied
    Purdue is right on top of her pacing, she did the same at the Big Half - set out on a plan, and stuck to it metronomically. Very, very impressive. And kudos to Hawkins on a great run, he was on my list of people who I thought would fail to impress after having to come back from the Gold Coast race. How low can he go though? Still lots of years ahead of him, plenty of additional strength and aerobic capacity to develop and lots of time to do it. I hope he sticks with it, he could end up being the first Brit to crack 2:05 if Mo can't find a little more.

Shame my glowing predictions of Mo's performance capability weren't fulfilled - a bit of a blip on his upwards trajectory I think. Still, he is the best Brit there's ever been, and if that means he's just shy of Kipchoge for the rest of his career, that's not too shabby. I would like him to go faster than Bekele over the Marathon though ;-)

Leave a comment:

• ibarnett01
    commented on 's reply
    Actually an honourable mention for V40 Nick Torry, Serpentine AC, who clocked an excellent 2:16:21.
Working...
X