No announcement yet.

Road racing 2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's strange,isn't it. I also thought Steph was running this weekend. I wonder what put that thought into our collective heads? Like you, Lucky, I'm also excited to see the Huddle-Sisson contest. Suspect Molly won't get too many more chances to run a really fast time . The Haley Carruthers story is fantastic, so inspiring. I'd love to see her do something special and make the plane to Doha. Interesting info about Charlie Purdue, ibarnett. I also watched that half marathon and had assumed she'd ran a brilliant tactical race! It will be really intriguing to see how well she does in what look set to be great marathon conditions. I've always admired her as a distance runner. In the nicest possible sense of the phrase, she's a real tough nut! Can see her grinding out a good result. I'm with you, Larkim. The less said about the bizarre stories being told by Mo and Hailie, the better.

Comment

Originally posted by ibarnett01 View Post

I'm sure I read Twell was competing this weekend, shame she is not. You can never take anything for granted with the marathon but you're right, Carruthers should smash her PB and I think she might even go 2:29. The domestic fields are strong and interesting this year with Doha in the foreground and 2020 not so far off. I'm particularly interested to see how Charlie Purdue goes given her storming second half performance in the The Big Half. In her own words she always feels rubbish for the first hour so she should come on strong later in the race and I think she can go close to 2:25.

Don't underestimate Hawkins, in his own words he doesn't want to be remembered as the guy who fell over, he wants Hutton's Scottish record and says he's in better shape than before the 2017 Worlds, so his motivation is high. Although his Lisbon HM performance was average he still has a 60min HM pb from 2017 and that easily equates to 2:07 marathon pace. Anyway I hope Hawkins and Dewi G can work off and with each other to produce 2 sub 2:10 performances. I still think Chris Thompson has a 2:09 marathon performance in him so would have liked to see him in the field. Finally, I hope someone with the strength and endurance of Robbie Simpson can convincingly improve on a 2:15 pb.

Weather conditions for Sunday look very promising for quality marathon running.
      less than 10 degrees; unlikely to rain, with 13 mph wind which may effect the times.

Comment

Mo's running well, might break his British and European record in the end, but Kipchoge (and the other three runners still with him) are racing on another level.

Callum Hawkins is running into the 2:06's. Heck we might have all the British male runners running sub 2:10 in this race!

In the women's race, Kosge is flying, likely to be sub 2:20 clocking after a slow start. Cheriyot tried to stick with her but is likely to finish a distant second... Meanwhile for GB, Charlotte Purdue is having an amazing race... she's in 11th, just cruised past USA veteran Molly Huddle and could, could sneak under 2:24 if she keeps it up.

Purdue update: She finishes in 10th place, smashing her previous marathon pb and now, with a time of 2:25:37, she goes to third on the British All Time list, behind Radcliffe and Yamauchi. Well done!
        Last edited by RunUnlimited; 28-04-19, 11:52.

Comment

Well done, ibarnett01 for that 2:25 prediction for Charlotte Purdue! I'll be honest, I thought she was 50-50 to go sub-2:28. Very well done to her!
          66:43 for the 2nd half for winner Brigid Kosgei. Bonkers!
          A fine debut for Emily Sisson in 2:23:08. Molly Huddle fell away quite badly in the 2nd half though. A World Over-40 Record for Sinead Diver (AUS by way of Ireland), 2:24:11. Great run for Portugal's Carla Salome Rocha in 2:24:47, just over a minute outside Rosa Mota's NR. She's been decent on the track (just over 32-flat for the 10) but it seems the marathon is her event, leapfrogging Moreira & Dulce Felix to 3rd on the all-time Portuguese list.
          Tish Jones grabbed the other automatic GB spot for Doha, but only just! 2:31:00, bang on the qualifying standard.
          Hayley Carruthers perhaps paid for a fast start (sub-74 at halfway) and found the going tough (but still set a 3 min PB).

In the men's race, 2:03:17 wouldn't have got you on the podium. Again, bonkers!
          Mo has some work to do in the Marathon! Great run for Callum Hawkins, 2:08:14. Now #3 on the UK all-time list just like Purdue.
          Last edited by LuckySpikes; 28-04-19, 12:51.

Comment

• ibarnett01
            ibarnett01 commented
            Editing a comment
            Actually looking at Purdue's pacing times on the VLM website, they are incredibly consistent suggesting 2:23/24 is on now. Yep 66:43 is bonkers for the 2nd half, in fact almost 'unreal'. Carruthers was on for 2:32 but something went badly wrong after 40k and she was only at 7:15/mile pace or thereabouts for the last 2.2k.

I'm well chuffed for Hawkins, he does give everything. Some solid performances from the British men and 6 under 2:15. Must be a long time since that happened in the same race.

• ibarnett01
            ibarnett01 commented
            Editing a comment
            Actually an honourable mention for V40 Nick Torry, Serpentine AC, who clocked an excellent 2:16:21.

Purdue is right on top of her pacing, she did the same at the Big Half - set out on a plan, and stuck to it metronomically. Very, very impressive. And kudos to Hawkins on a great run, he was on my list of people who I thought would fail to impress after having to come back from the Gold Coast race. How low can he go though? Still lots of years ahead of him, plenty of additional strength and aerobic capacity to develop and lots of time to do it. I hope he sticks with it, he could end up being the first Brit to crack 2:05 if Mo can't find a little more.

Shame my glowing predictions of Mo's performance capability weren't fulfilled - a bit of a blip on his upwards trajectory I think. Still, he is the best Brit there's ever been, and if that means he's just shy of Kipchoge for the rest of his career, that's not too shabby. I would like him to go faster than Bekele over the Marathon though ;-)

Comment

"Carruthers was on for 2:32 but something went badly wrong after 40k and she was only at 7:15/mile pace or thereabouts for the last 2.2k."

She crawled on hands and knees across the line!

Comment

• ibarnett01
              ibarnett01 commented
              Editing a comment
              I've now seen the video!

Mo commits to Chicago in the autumn - a race which takes place just 7 days after the World Champs 10000m will be held. Is he a) planning on using the World Champs as a tune up race? b) not planning on running the world champs 10000m despite rumours? or c) planning to run the 10000m and then withdraw / pocket appearance money only at Chicago?

Comment

Originally posted by larkim View Post
              Mo commits to Chicago in the autumn - a race which takes place just 7 days after the World Champs 10000m will be held. Is he a) planning on using the World Champs as a tune up race? b) not planning on running the world champs 10000m despite rumours? or c) planning to run the 10000m and then withdraw / pocket appearance money only at Chicago?
              b.

He won't be anywhere near Doha. He can do whatever he likes, but I find that disappointing and telling. Hope the British selectors now say thanks for the memories and move on, even if he's still our quickest at a number of events.

Comment

Originally posted by Ursus View Post

b.

He won't be anywhere near Doha. He can do whatever he likes, but I find that disappointing and telling. Hope the British selectors now say thanks for the memories and move on, even if he's still our quickest at a number of events.
                Do you think no to Doha then must mean no to Toyko? Even if he is avoiding the GB vest at the moment, he's still our best medal shot in the marathon in Tokyo.

Comment

On a balmy day & a hilly course in Southampton, I finished the 10k in 51:22 - 10 seconds faster than the Bournemouth Bay 10k last year - which is flat as a pancake, so I'm pleased. Calves gave up about 6 times during the race though, so would've been sub-50 if not for that! Back to sprinting now! :-)

Comment

• larkim
                    larkim commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well done - 6 x calf issues sounds unpleasant!

Good to see I'm not the only one who takes part as well as watches the elites!

HM for me this weekend, will be happy with sub 88, ideally want sub 86.

Comment

• camerajuan
                    camerajuan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No more long stuff for me! Aimed for sub 2 last November at the Gosport Half & managed 1:58! Occasional parkrun will be my max from now on!

Been competing 26 years now, if you don't count my year out for a hip injury & my three years out for Uni!

I'm finally a master so will be all over the southern vets league this season when work allows. Rehab season doing pretty much anything then will concentrate on whatever feels right!

• larkim
                    larkim commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm well into the Masters categories anyway, but road running seems to be dominated by 40-50yo men anyway! I do run on the track too with the club, but only very sporadically and only against mixed fields of U17s right through to V60s. And I'm still nowhere troubling the scoring positions! I didn't take up any running until aged 39, so i do wonder whether I might have had a decent club-runner in me, undiscovered, once upon a time when I was theoretically at my peak!

Do you think no to Doha then must mean no to Toyko? Even if he is avoiding the GB vest at the moment, he's still our best medal shot in the marathon in Tokyo.
                  I think you should either be in or be out.

At the moment he’s run as many champs marathons as I have. They’re totally different beasts to the fast time / big buck chasing of the big city marathons and if he’s serious about Tokyo - his only shot at MAR OG - surely he’d be better off learning in Doha than chasing the Chicago cash.

Good luck with your HM. Won’t catch me doing one of those in a hurry!
                  Last edited by Ursus; 15-05-19, 22:49.

Comment

Good to see I'm not the only one who takes part as well as watches the elites!

HM for me this weekend, will be happy with sub 88, ideally want sub 86.
                    Good luck with your HM!
                    spanish dictionary

Comment

Working...
                    X