Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farah vs Rupp vs Chicago Marathon

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Very very impressive run by Farah. I think he just graduated. Nice to see him handshaking everyone that's coming in too.

    Comment


    • #17
      Easy win for Mo - pulling away from Geremew in the last half mile for a 2:05:11 European Record! (63:06 at halfway)

      However, probably the biggest payday is for 3rd placer, Suguru Osako, who picked up the Japanese federation's £670,000 incentive for breaking the national record!

      Another 2:18 on the women's side - Brigid Kosgei 2:18:35 PB (68:26 second half).

      Results & splits - http://results.chicagomarathon.com/2...id=leaderboard

      Comment


      • #18
        Well done MO!

        He's proving much better at the marathon than I expected when he started.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by larkim View Post
          Might as well start off a topic on the new board.

          Despite the presence of pacers, should be a good show down between the two former training partners. Rupp can be unpredictably brilliant, but has never outshone Mo in a major race. Will this weekend be any different?
          well done Larkim with your prediction about Mo. Rupp disappointing.!!!

          Comment


          • #20
            That was very impressive from Mo. Not just the time or the win but how easy he looked in the final few miles. Hope he does the World Champs next year but if not then a faster time in Berlin would be good.

            Comment


            • #21
              Intriguing article in the Guardian today suggesting Mo (via Gary Lough) hasn't decided what to run at the WC 2019 - and given he's not going to be choosing between the women's marathon and the men's, it suggests he is at least considering another 10,000m track race.

              Could just be mind games etc, and personally I'd rather see him pick up a bronze in the marathon than risk anything other than gold in the 10,000m.

              Comment


              • #22
                lucky you were on the button with Mo; bit surprised with Rupp but a personal best nearly.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Lucky?? Predicting Mo winning things isn't luck!! ;-)

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Did anyone else watch it on FloTrack? I think they were using the NBC Gold feed. The commentators were comically bad. Alan Partridge bad!

                    Rupp was probably affected by the ankle tendon issue he had during his build-up. I think he is still a major threat for Tokyo and there's no reason to believe he won't run well under 2:06 in the future. Mo meanwhile continues to completely exceed my expectations I guess us doubters should all know better by now! He really wasn't stretched, was he?

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Sovietvest View Post
                      Did anyone else watch it on FloTrack? I think they were using the NBC Gold feed. The commentators were comically bad. Alan Partridge bad!
                      Yes, 10 seconds or so then I recognised one of the voices (think he's done one of the RunCzech races before) and I knew it would be bad so I watched the NBC Chicago stream with Tim Hutchings instead. A bit annoying with regular fluff pieces by local reporters but overall, bearable.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post

                        Yes, 10 seconds or so then I recognised one of the voices (think he's done one of the RunCzech races before) and I knew it would be bad so I watched the NBC Chicago stream with Tim Hutchings instead. A bit annoying with regular fluff pieces by local reporters but overall, bearable.
                        bearable is the word; was it not pretty small minded stuff; as you say, with local comment at inappropriate times; every time I get to teeth nashing times with the Beeb, I remind myself of American TV coverage,of athletics, which is hated generally by the cognoscenti on Track and Field Forum

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by philipo View Post

                          bearable is the word; was it not pretty small minded stuff; as you say, with local comment at inappropriate times; every time I get to teeth nashing times with the Beeb, I remind myself of American TV coverage,of athletics, which is hated generally by the cognoscenti on Track and Field Forum
                          Don't get me started ... Showing the startlist 5 or 10 seconds into an 800m race (should I be looking at the list or watching the race? I can't do both!); Talking inanely about the star name for the first 600 of said race instead of, you know, actually commentating on the race; Going to an ad break with 4 laps of the Steeplechase to go; etc etc etc

                          Still, we should be grateful for the internet age and the opportunity to see these meetings/races.

                          For all FloTrack's faults - quite expensive, terrible commentary (though that has improved somewhat with Kevin Sully's arrival), often shoddy on-screen graphics - they do cover track races very well. Good camera work not only focusing on the leaders but showing the battles for the minor places too and no cutting away to field events during races.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            So is Mo thinking of doing the 10,000 in Doha that because he's planning a big city marathon in the autumn? New York, being unpaced, would suit him better than Berlin, I think. It'll be interesting to see which of the big names actually decide to go to Doha, but I suppose the depth is so good in Kenya and Ethiopia these days that the fields in both New York and Berlin could still be very strong. And who knows who the Kenyan federation will pick anyway?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              I still think the palmares are better going for gold in Doha in the marathon, but the economics of a track gold plus NYC marathon are unquestionable.

                              They do say “never go back” though don’t they. Gold in Doha on the track would be exceptional, but there’s a hint of a new generation coming through who might have him for leg speed at the end of a sit and kick race next year - though perhaps with his new training regime he could front run an insane time?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by larkim View Post
                                I still think the palmares are better going for gold in Doha in the marathon, but the economics of a track gold plus NYC marathon are unquestionable.

                                They do say “never go back” though don’t they. Gold in Doha on the track would be exceptional, but there’s a hint of a new generation coming through who might have him for leg speed at the end of a sit and kick race next year - though perhaps with his new training regime he could front run an insane time?
                                Can't quite see the point of Mo risking a great 10 K reputation by attempting another in Doha; if he does I maintain that there will be other names for him to contend with and he will be another year older,; he will start to lose that kick in the next year or so; its inevitable as I see it; Lagat had the same experience.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X