No announcement yet.

British Champs 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a while since a Brit has made a 1:45 in a domestic champs look so run of the mill. Looks like someone who can do well regardless of what kind of race it is.

Comment

Senior champ indoors and outdoors for Hodgkinson and it never looked in doubt for me. Had to overcome the worst of the bumping mid race too.

Comment

Easy peasy for Keely Hodgkinson. 29.2s for the last 200.

Comment

Aimee Pratt reminds me of Laura Muir when she gets going, she looks incredibly determined, impressive run today considering she was running against herself. She just managed to make the team for Doha, then ran a PB in the heats, another 2 PB’s this year, she’s going places

Comment

• LuckySpikes
            LuckySpikes commented
            Editing a comment
            After the British champs last year I remember writing off her chances of making the Doha team and then she took 10s off her PB in Rovereto!

I see also that I've said today she might never win medals, but I hope she reads that and is determined to prove me wrong again!

• Jogger
            Jogger commented
            Editing a comment
            A busy weekend for her as well after running the 800m heats and final. Good run though.

Well, George Mills! I saw picks for Gourley, West & Lay but not for Mills. I wouldn't have predicted him either.

Comment

Good run from Lavia Nielsen, took it out from the start and had the 400m final effectively won by the last bend. 51.73 in cool, windy conditions is pretty good going.

Comment

Rowden is an exciting talent, very impressive today.

Comment

Some good results from our juniors over the last two days, they deserved their chance after having their junior championships cancelled

Charlotte Payne 63.92 PB for silver in the women’s hammer, good enough for 6th in the world on the u20 lists and will still be a junior next year

Joel Clarke-Khan won the HJ after years of injury, he cleared 2.20 as a junior

Abigail Pawlett, one of our multi eventers set 2 PBs in the hurdles, improving from 14.04 to 13.71. Jodie Smith did likewise and equalled her PB in the HJ winning silver. Both will be u20s next year

Lucy Jane-Matthews moved up to 3rd on the all time u20 lists

Bethan Moule took bronze in the javelin with 51.27 at age 18

Comment

There were 6 U20s under 14 in the 100H which was quite impressive. I believe Abigail Pawlett will still be U20 in 2022.

Comment

Not an amazing time overall, but Alex Knibbs had quite an impressive finish in the 400.

Comment

Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
                      Not an amazing time overall, but Alex Knibbs had quite an impressive finish in the 400.
                      That run bodes well for his main event 400H.

Comment

Alastair Chalmers looked every bit the future international athlete to me in the 400mH. Good technique and attacked the race. Seems to be highly rated by Colin Jackson too. Would be great to see him, Efe Okoro, Chris McAlister and Alaex Knibbs fighting it out next season. Is there much left to come from Jacob Paul and Seb Roger? And of course Dai Green, although it looks less likely with each year that passes (35 next year). Keep an eye out for Seamus Derbyshire too.

Comment

• carterhatch
                          carterhatch commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Lets hope that any future medal winning performance at Worlds/Olympics by Chalmers isn't commented on by Jackson, poor lad would have to play it back on mute for the rest of his life...

Originally posted by Runner88 View Post
                        Alastair Chalmers looked every bit the future international athlete to me in the 400mH. Good technique and attacked the race. Seems to be highly rated by Colin Jackson too. Would be great to see him, Efe Okoro, Chris McAlister and Alax Knibbs fighting it out next season. Is there much left to come from Jacob Paul and Seb Roger? And of course Dai Green, although it looks less likely with each year that passes (35 next year). Keep an eye out for Seamus Derbyshire too.
                        Alastair Chalmers is for sure the real deal, having watched him develop as a junior athlete, making the finals of the World Juniors in 2018 where he'd first break Richard Davenport's then 14 year old British record in the semi finals, before finishing a very credible 6th place in a final loaded with one of the greatest U-20 400m hurdles fields in history, then further lowering that record multiple times in 2019. He was the big favourite heading into the European U-20 champs and I'm confident he would have won the gold there and become the first British teenager to run sub-50 seconds for the event in the process... until he got disqualified for a lane infringement in the semi finals of course. But he's not let that setback (nor the disruption of COVID this season) slow down his development in the U-23 ranks this year. In three of the four 400m hurdles races Alastair has competed in, he's run under 50 seconds and set PBs.
                        I think this young man is the brightest 400m hurdle talent we've had since (Jack Green - thanks for pointing this out @caterhatch)

Chris McAlister was the surprise of 2019, coming from complete obscurity to being British #1 at the event. His only result of any note was probably winning the "senior" 400m hurdles at the English Schools back in 2014, aged 19. But apart from that, he flew under the radar, never representing GB at junior level and going into the U-23's he was more focused on his studies as a lawyer rather than an athlete. He broke 51 seconds in 2016 (50.88, Watford) but wouldn't improve on that time until 2018 where he consistently set times under 51 secs, with a best of 50.36 coming that summer. But I don't think anybody anticipated what he would do the following season, where it seemed that everytime he stepped on the track there would a PB or near-PB performance, including setting one during his 5th placed finish in the semi-final in the World Championships.. I see him as definitely a contender for a British title next year if he's fit and someone who could get under 49 seconds in a more regular athletics season.

Knibbs actually used to beat Chalmers in the junior ranks, but with the latter's development in the last couple of years, the balance of power has shifted markedly. Still Knibbs is a talented hurdler who is also improving with time and more experience and his surprise win in the flat 400m in Manchester last weekend suggests that once he returns to 400m hurdles next year, that his 50.16 lifetime best from 2019 will be revised.

Jacob Paul and Seb Rodger? Hard to say. With Rodger, after a promising U-23 career with his highlight being winning a silver medal at the Euro U-23's in 2013 aged 22, his career has largely stalled out for the most part. His 400m hurdles PB remains the 49.19 he ran in Tampere and now at 29 years of age, the chances to improve seem to be diminishing.
                        As for Paul, he's had a good junior career, where he went undefeated over 400m hurdles at the English Schools champs, represented Great Britain and England at international level (World U-20s (Semi Finalist) and European U-20's (Bronze medalist), Commonwealth Youth Games (4th place) and European Youth Olympics (Silver medalist). As an U-23, he came 5th at the European U-23 champs in 2017 and during that time came close to qualifying for the World Championships in London that year, coming 2nd in the UK Trials but missing out on the qualifying time.
                        Now 25 he's still got time to lower his PB further (currently at 49.49, set in 2017) but whether he'll get fast enough to make it past the preliminary round at an Olympic Games or Worlds is still to be seen.

The real dark horse out of all the names you mentioned though has to be Seamus Derbyshire. Even amongst athletics fans who follow the junior ranks of the sport, Derbyshire likely went unnoticed by the majority, who had their attention diverted to Alastair Chalmers' exploits instead. And for good reason too. Sure, as a 17 year old he won a silver medal (behind Chalmers incidentally) at the Commonwealth Youth Games in 2017, but folks still overlooked him in favour of the more noticeable teen hurdles talent. 2019 would change all that. He had lowered his PB to 51.72 in 2018, but there wasn't much sign of the huge leaps he would take in the event. Over the course of 2019, Derbyshire would revise his PB *four* times in all, culminating in his surprise silver medal at the European U-20's in Boras where he hacked over 4 tenths of a second from his PB (50.86) to go 8th on the UK U-20 all time list.
                        He's certainly worth keeping an eye on now and I believe he'll improve a lot in the next few years.
                        Last edited by RunUnlimited; 12-09-20, 19:51.

Comment

• carterhatch
                          carterhatch commented
                          Editing a comment
                          RunUnlimited - 'I think this young man is the brightest 400m hurdle talent we've had since ' ??? Don;t keep me in suspense, who were you going to say , Jack Green, Jon Ridgeon, Alan Pascoe, who?

• carterhatch
                          carterhatch commented
                          Editing a comment
                          @Rununlimited... thought I was having my first senile moment as your great post summarising current UK male 400mh disappeared1 Anyway, I predicted who you meant Jack Green - a case of what could have been or got the best out of his talent given the well documented fight with mental health issues... but his contempaorary a true what could have been, Nathan Woodward ...

There’s an interview with Knibbs on the AW homepage, he mentioned that he wanted to put himself in with a chance of making the relay team. He’s most likely secured his spot for the world relays (if it goes ahead) with that win at trials. It would be worthwhile taking Alistair Chalmers aswell, that squad could do with some new faces, his brother has been a fixture in the team last season and the two of them would link up well

Comment

@Rununlimited... thought I was having my first senile moment as your great post summarising current UK male 400mh disappeared1 Anyway, I predicted who you meant ​ Jack Green - a case of what could have been or got the best out of his talent given the well documented fight with mental health issues... but his contempaorary a true what could have been, Nathan Woodward ...
                          Jack Green was unbelieveably talented over 400m hurdles.... Before his nightmare semi-final DNF at London 2012, he was undoubtedly one of the top U-23's in the world in the event at that time, right up there with Trinidad & Tobago's Jehue Gordon (4th placer at the 2009 Worlds aged just 17 and future World Champion in 2013 aged 21) as a 400m hurdler with masses of potential. Just a month before that fateful day, Green finished 4th in the Birmingham Diamond League meeting - a race featuring several runners who would be in the 2012 Olympic final no less - in a time of 48.60 which is still the current British U-23 record and the 7th fastest time by a Brit ever... and he was only 21 years of age at the time! He was coming off a successful 2011 where he'd broken 49 seconds for the first time, won the European U-23 gold medal and reached the semi finals of the World Championships at Daegu, and he had shown maturity that belied his years that suggested he'd be developing further as a runner in the coming years.

Oh how different everything could have been if he'd finished that semi-final in the Olympic Stadium on August 4th, 2012. I have a feeling that his negative experiences he went through that day led directly to his mental and emotional issues that would dog him for the next few years. He'd been this up and coming star in British athletics and was set up for a very successful future, potentially a medal winning one at major championships, *and* he was performing in front of a packed home crowd at just 21.... To have it all come (literally) crashing down on him in that race, in front of all those fans, must have been terrible for him and I can see how that could destroy his confidence thereafter.

In an alternative universe, Jack Green clears that hurdle on the backstraight, finishes in the top 2 and makes it into a global final. He wasn't going to win of course, Felix Sanchez was far too good (and too motivated by his recently passed relative) to be denied that year. But a Jack Green who makes that race and finishes is a Jack Green now with the confidence in his own abilty, who knows that he can mix it up with the best in the world at just 21 and that with the correct training and persistance, he could one day step up onto a medal podium in future championships.... But of course, that didn't happen.... What a shame.

And yes the other "what if" from that period was indeed Nathan Woodward. Very talented and with some fast times at a young age, but I must say though that when your fastest career clocking was achieved at the rather controversial La Chaud-de-Fonds venue (48.71, 8th fastest UK All Time) and being never able to go sub 49 seconds again anywhere else, it's possible that Woodward's ability might have been a tad over-stated by some athletics fans. Past 2012 and his abortive attempts to qualify for the GB squad, (and missing out on making the European Championship final in consolation), he pretty much disappeared off the map, most likely beset by various injuries.... to such an extent that in the last 2 years of his active athletic results (2015 -2016), Woodward had apparently abandoned the 400m hurdles and ran the event that he'd done as a youth in the early 2000's... the 800m, though never at anything above club-runner level.

Here's hoping that the current crop of hurdlers manage to avoid the pitfalls that afflicted these two.

Comment

Working...
                          X