No announcement yet.

British Champs 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great stuff from Coppell. Wasn’t expecting that.

75.99 from Whiteaker for the win in the spear and good to see him fit. Still very much a work in progress, but nice to see a British athlete with genuine speed on the runway. Once he learns to harness that he’ll throw far.

Comment

Lucy Jane Matthews! Great run.

Great to see Cindy Ofili back in some form too. but LJM must have smashed her national U-20 record there!

Ofili wins and is British champ in 13.16 (+1.5m/s) but only just ahead of Lucy Jane Matthews who with 13.20 lowers her own record by 0.05 seconds. She is still just 17 years old!

Well done!
      Last edited by RunUnlimited; 04-09-20, 20:10.

Comment

Great to see Cindy Ofili back winning races and national titles. Great run from Matthews on a chilly Manchester night - Didn't expect her that close.

Comment

Britain have a couple of massively talented, delightfully smooth 800m runners in Daniel Rowden and Max Burgin. Salivating over 2021 champs already.

Comment

• drobbie
            drobbie commented
            Editing a comment
            the mens 800 and 1500 are the strongest they have been since the early to mid 80s golden period

Originally posted by Christy93 View Post
          Britain have a couple of massively talented, delightfully smooth 800m runners in Daniel Rowden and Max Burgin. Salivating over 2021 champs already.
          Agreed, a very special pair indeed.

Comment

Shaunna Thompson fourth in the SP with a PB. Didn't expect to see that name again, but lovely to see her back in the sport.

Comment

• carterhatch
              carterhatch commented
              Editing a comment
              well, from yuor comment is this the same athlete as the talented sprinter from early last decade? I checked Po10 and it seems so.... now there must be a story behind that transition!

• Occasional Hope
              Occasional Hope commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, same person. There was an article about her last year somewhere, will see if I can remember where it was.

Originally posted by Ursus View Post
            Great stuff from Coppell. Wasn’t expecting that.

75.99 from Whiteaker for the win in the spear and good to see him fit. Still very much a work in progress, but nice to see a British athlete with genuine speed on the runway. Once he learns to harness that he’ll throw far.
            Some respectable marks elsewhere, considering the conditions Jaz Sawyers 6.69 was very good, enjoyed Dave Kings run, 13.58 in 14 degree Manchester would have been worth 13.45 in sunnier climes

I’d missed that Banigo jumped a PB last week 7.94. It’s not world class but it’s getting there, he’s only just turned 22. Good to see him secure the victory today

Harry Coppell performed brilliantly today, backing up his very good indoor performances. He hasn’t jumped against the top guys that often, but when given the opportunity he’s risen to the occasion, I can see no reason why he won’t again in future
            Last edited by treadwater1; 04-09-20, 22:16.

Comment

Harry AA takes the 100m - fair play to him. 🤩

Comment

• carterhatch
                carterhatch commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, fair play to him, and he was very generous in acknowledging all those who weren't there. Never fuliflled his early promise, but to be able to add British Champion to his CV (more like twitter account) is deserving reward ....another who has a career in reality TV beckoning and good luck to him, a true example of perserverance.
                Last edited by carterhatch; 05-09-20, 07:23.

Originally posted by Janey View Post

After BBC coverage ends it's on Red Button until 21.25.
              I was happy to be wrong about the 5000. And apologies to the BBC for besmirchng their name!

Very enjoyable race and despite her finishing out of the medals I was impressed with Bronwen Owen and her front running. She's come on a fair bit this year.

All the medalists were really shifting in the last 1000 after a good pace in the preceding 3000 (thanks to Owen) - Judd 2.47.4, Ockenden 2:51, Quirk 2:53.

Comment

• carterhatch
                carterhatch commented
                Editing a comment
                I had a quick look at results (had to watch Gardeners' World instead of red button coverage) that after winning the 5000, Jess Judd ran - and won! - her 1500 heat, not just cruised around to qualify .... bless her, there must be some kind of super effort stat deserving of such a feat - fastest 5000/1500 in one session by a British female at a national champs, ever?

• trickstat
                trickstat commented
                Editing a comment
                If both races started on time, her 1500m heat would have started almost exactly 30 minutes after she crossed the line in the 5000. Unless the rule has been changed recently, that is less time than the minimum gap allowed between successive rounds of 200m.

women's 200m, for me, has gone from disappointing to a farce.... None of the top 9 runners from 2019 have entered, the acceptance list has slowly reduced, and now from two heats, it seems only seven runners have qualified ... Not the champs finest advert.

Comment

• carterhatch
                carterhatch commented
                Editing a comment
                I am going by the online results ... from ten athleties who made the starting line - over the two heats - three were Dq'd ...
                Last edited by carterhatch; 05-09-20, 12:48.

• MysteryBrick
                MysteryBrick commented
                Editing a comment
                I think we should be grateful it is happening at all and applaud anyone who is there. If 2021 is a more normal year and the Champs in July look like this then I would agree, it is disappointing!

• trickstat
                trickstat commented
                Editing a comment
                2 false start DQs from heat 1 and I think a lane violation in heat 2.

Should be relatively straightforward for Hannah Williams in the final from Georgina Adam and anyone's guess for 3rd?

I really like what I see in Alastair Chalmers. Rangy, tidy over the hurdles and kept his head. 49.66 as a first year U23 is good going, a good winter should see him able to get down to 49.0 next year and go to Tokyo. Okoro feeling his two races yesterday, I think - also, not the best at sighting the hurdles, which was made worse by fatigue.

Comment

• trickstat
                trickstat commented
                Editing a comment
                Given the right race and conditions, I think he could even get quite close to 49 now. However, it's unlikely that he'll get that opportunity.

However, his chance of getting to an Olympics held next year does seem much higher than it would have been in a 'normal' 2020.

Great gutsy run from Aimee Pratt there. That NR could finally go if Pratt & Bird get in a decent race before the season's up.

Comment

Well done, Aimee Pratt! A 4.4s PB for 9:30.74. She's taking chunks off her PB this year, down from 9:39 in the last 3 weeks.

I think she's fast becoming one of my favourite British athletes. She may never win medals but she's bold, gutsy & just goes for it. Rosie Clarke could learn a thing or two from her.

Comment

• carterhatch
                  carterhatch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Indeed a very gutsy run and found myself cheering her on out loud from the comfort of my living room. Also enjoying Hannah England's contribution to the commentary ...

Rowden was as cool as a cucumber there.

Comment

• carterhatch
                  carterhatch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  very impressive, great smooth, relaxed action, I flagged him up in 2018 but I will try not to get too excited but there is a 1.43 XX in the right conditions and company.

That looked very comfortable for Rowden. Getting a little bit excited about his ability.

Comment

Working...
                X