British Champs 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Champs 2020

Thread for the British Champs 2020 to be held in Manchester 4-5 September.

Entries being updated here:
    http://extranet.britishathletics.org...able/Index/168

What are we all looking forward to? (Besides some live athletics on TV which we've all been missing!)

Mens 800m
    I've read Jake Wightman will be concentrating on the 800m for the rest of the season, Wightman vs Burgin vs Langford with other names in the mix means this could be the race of the weekend. Will Wightman finally win his first outdoor British senior title?

Womens 800m
    Will Muir and Reekie feature? Alex Bell, Adelle Tracey and young Hodgkinson and Boffey would still make this a great race.

Will have to wait and see if the Diamond Leagues in Lausanne on Sep 2 and Brussels on Sep 4 draw a lot of the big name Brits away.

i’m thinking that most of the Brits on the European Tour at the moment will not be able to return for a single domestic meet, due to quarantine requirements. Maybe someone knows different.

Comment

Originally posted by Grassmarket View Post
      i’m thinking that most of the Brits on the European Tour at the moment will not be able to return for a single domestic meet, due to quarantine requirements. Maybe someone knows different.
      I was under the impression that elite athletes could get exemptions from the quarantine BUT I'm not sure where I got that from!

The entries in some events don't look bad so far. Laura Muir, however, is down to race on the 6th at the WACT Gold meeting in Chrorzow so it seems unlikely she'll enter for Manchester as well.

Comment

No Tom Gale in the hj, guess he's not bothering with the season at all.

Comment

Is there no women's 5000?

Comment

women's 5000 seems to on day 1. Pity no 10000 given the championships were cancelled.

Comment

Good to see Jodie Williams has accepted for the 400, I think this indicates she sees her future in that event, going by her relay splits it’s a logical move, should be a decent race between her Nielsen and Diamond.

The men’s 400 hurdles looks like a good race too. Knibbs ran a PB over the flat at Loughborough and we have already seen good times by Chalmers and Okoro

Comment

Originally posted by gghurdler View Post
                Good to see Jodie Williams has accepted for the 400, I think this indicates she sees her future in that event, going by her relay splits it’s a logical move, should be a decent race between her Nielsen and Diamond.

The men’s 400 hurdles looks like a good race too. Knibbs ran a PB over the flat at Loughborough and we have already seen good times by Chalmers and Okoro
                The current quality in global terms of our male HJ,LJ,TJ and PV is pretty.abysmal .and without Okoye's potential and Lincoln and our hammer thrower, our other male Discus, Shot, Hammer and Javelin performers are very poor.

Comment

• Biggut
                  Biggut commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don’t know if you’d noticed but there has been a pandemic that has restricted competition. Only 1 of our top 3 male Pole Vaulters has competed (Once at Loughborough) outdoors this season as a result. At 5.80, 5.60 and 5.60 I don’t know what’s abysmal about it.

Okoye does indeed have massive potential, but let’s not forget that Greg Thompson (who hasn’t competed this year) is 4th on the all time list. He ranked 23rd in the world last year. I don’t know if you comprehend how many countries there are in the world but it means that less than 10% of countries in the world had a better discus thrower than him last year.

In the hammer even with the British Record Holder not throwing yet this season we still have 3 throwers ranked in the top 50. But yes we should be world class every event shouldn’t we Phillipo, because anything other than doing so is a failure.

You seem to live in a world where British athletes have the right to be world class in every discipline. We NEVER have been. Even when there were far fewer countries able to compete we still weren’t top class at every event.

Can’t disagree with that Philipo.

Although I’m a little more optimistic than I have been for a while in the spear. We’re a way off real international class but Hughes has gone 80 with the potential to add. If he can stay fit Whiteaker clearly has the talent to join him. Good to see Benji Pearson on the start list - injuries have been cruel but should have been up there too. Max Law’s an exciting talent (last year age 17 68m with the senior implement and 76m with the youth) and a couple of the other youngsters also give grounds for optimism.

We’re not going to be on podiums any time soon, but green shoots, baby steps and all that.

And kudos to Lincoln for his 20.65 taking him to 5th on our all time list and I think he can definitely throw further. There is a bit of a gap to the rest but Lewis Byng’s an exciting talent - just thrown 18.56 with the senior implement and only turns 19 next month.

Comment

Tom Gale jumped 2.33 indoors this year.

Comment

Philipo as usual circles around a couple of good points, but also appears to be saying 'without our top athletes, our other athletes aren't top athletes'.

Can't disagree with that... I've also noticed that Norwegian hurdling is fairly crap without Karsten Warholm and the non-Shaunae Miller Bahamian sprinters seem pretty average.

Comment

Start lists appear to be finalised for next weekend, and although there obviously isn't maximum depth everywhere there are still some tasty races in the offing.

Men's 800m
                      No Langford or Giles, but the top 3 should be Rowden, Burgin and Wightman in some order, and depending upon how Burgin wants to run it it could be very fast! Also, assuming Wightman does the 1500m next year it does show that the GB Olympic team next year will have one or two very good athletes missing the plane.

Men's 1500m
                      None of the biggest names except for Gourley, but my prediction is that the fast-improving Joshua Lay surprises a few people - he is my dark horse for making the team next year, 1:47.9 > 1:46.7 and 3:41.3 > 3:38.1 this year as a first year U23, the boy has serious wheels.

Women's 800m
                      Reekie should win this by a country mile, but behind her you have Hodgkinson, Boffey and Mhlanga, three very talented U23s/U20s who will all have designs on Tokyo next year. I think the era of Sharp and Oskan-Clarke is ending...

Men's 200m
                      I think Charlie Dobson is really *really* good, and I think he's going to win this and qualify as part of the GB team for Tokyo next year. Hopefully he still does the occasional 400m as well, as that's a 44-mid split waiting to happen there.

Comment

I am looking forward to watching some good domestc races and MysteryBrick you highlight a few of the more interesting ones.

Women's 400m
                        Our very own forum poster will have a big interest in this race with his charge, Yasmin Liverpool, hoping to press the favourite Laviai Nielsen.

Women's 100h
                        I see sisters Porter and Ofili have 'accepted' - they have both been running sub 13 in the US so if they do attend, it will be great experience for the emerging Lucy Jane Matthews, plus nice to see Niamh Emrson back competing.

Women's 400h
                        Jessie Knight looks the clear favourite - can she post a sub-55 PB and cap a great break out season.

Women's 100m
                        Lansiquot has posted a good time and I suggest is the athelete to beat. i don't like to put pressure on young shoulders but I would be curious to know why Amy Hunt is not running the 200, where she would, given the line up, be clear favourite. However, It is good to see Desiree Henry return but some curious race choises (Megan Beesley anyone)

Women's 1500m
                        From what i can make out... only one of the top 6 from Po10 are entered in the race - it can be viewed as a chance for someone to gain the honour of a national title, given the disrupted season and pandemic aside, it would have been a real treat as a fan to have seen all 6 giving it a go

Comment

• Stew-Coach
                          Stew-Coach commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I think lavai being the reigning champ and has that speed in the tank from last year is definitely the favourite. And has put some races in the tank.

But most definitely looking forward to this

i would agree with you that soc is probably going to struggle to get a place in the womens 800, sharp still has a couple of years left in her and banged out a couple of 1.58s last year, one of them was faster than reekies best this year, i suspect reekie has at least another half a second in her this season and looks to be a lot more consistent than sharp has been

Comment

• Christy93
                          Christy93 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Reekie ran 1.57 indoors so she certainly has plenty left. She has been blitzing class fields in a manner Sharp could only dream of (no disrespect). She's the first British 800m runner I've looked at and seen the possibility of Holmes' NR going down.

• drobbie
                          drobbie commented
                          Editing a comment
                          she has been blitzing class fields, but all of those fields are way down on their best times, shes got a better kick than sharp and looks more consistent, cant rule out sharp being no 2 for the next few years though

• Christy93
                          Christy93 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I think, all chit chat aside, she is just a better athlete than anything we've had over 800 for a long time. She's truly top class.

Originally posted by drobbie View Post
                        i would agree with you that soc is probably going to struggle to get a place in the womens 800, sharp still has a couple of years left in her and banged out a couple of 1.58s last year, one of them was faster than reekies best this year, i suspect reekie has at least another half a second in her this season and looks to be a lot more consistent than sharp has been
                        it is not a question whether A was or is faster than B ; it depends on the type of race anyway. What counts is only one thing. Are you a winner. This site like other athletics site never understand this because there is an obsession with times and distances etc. Sharp was in a habit as far as I recall of not actually winning against decent opposition. Rekie begins to suggest to me that she will be a winner of races.

Comment

Working...
                        X