Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gghurdler
    replied
    Bianca started filming the incident mid way through so we don’t know the order of events before she started filming, but going by what’s been said by both parties and what was visible in the video BW and RDS have cause for feeling aggrieved. The statement released by the police doesnt ring true, the points about “blacked out windows” and “driving on the wrong side of the road” have been embellished to add to the impression that the met were justified in behaving the way they did. The other points about them accelerating and braking sharply don’t sound right either. Why would they do something like that with a 3 month old in the back? And just after they’d passed a police vehicle

Leave a comment:

• Sovietvest
    replied
    My daughter and I were training at Barn Elms when Bianca and Ricardo were there on Saturday. My daughter got a real buzz out of just being n the same track as them: Bianca is in amazing shape for someone with a 3 month old and Ricardo - who've I've never seen run live - cruised a 400 in around 47 seconds - really impressive!

It was quite a lesson for my daughter when I shared the video with her that evening - something totally outside her experience and a real insight into what it's like to be a young black person in parts of the UK.

Personally I think the response from the Met has been highly disingenuous in trying to justify stopping the car:
    • "Blacked out windows". This gives a false impression - it's a standard Merc with tinted rear windows. If it had blacked out windows - which are illegal - they would have been charged.
    • "Driving suspiciously, including being on the wrong side of the road". a) They didn't mention this in their original report; b) it's impossible to drive down narrow London streets with cars on either side and not go onto the 'wrong' side; c) the word 'including' suggests there were other suspicious behaviours - in which case why not add them to this list?
    • The police "indicated" the car should stop but it "sped off". If they were sure that he was aware he had been asked to stop they would have written that he refused to stop. They imply he accelerated away a fast speed. However, if he had broken the speed limit or even been suspected of having broken it then dangerous driving and / or speeding would have been included in the allegations.
    • "The driver refused to get out". Ricardo was asking why he had been stopped and they weren't answering him. Regardless, the video shows the door opening very quickly.
    It's notable that they don't now claim they could smell skunk - something that was said as a justification for searching the car. Maybe they thought even the most gullible Daily mail reader woudl doubt that two international athletes wit ha baby would be smoking skunk in their car.

I find the who incident utterly disgusting.

Laps - how many white middle class women with Mercedes would have stayed calm and controlled had the Police pulled them over?

Leave a comment:

• jjimbojames
    replied
    I agree the Met would be foolish to have put anything out that quickly without feeling very secure in their footage. Bianca Williams has been doing the rounds with the media, so I would have thought she felt secure in her version. No way both sides can come out of this looking good, so someone is going to end up with egg on their face...

Leave a comment:

• Ursus
    replied
    It’s been through the Met’s Professional Standards Directorate who found no concern with the officers conduct. They’ll have seen body cam footage etc that no-one else will have and would be incredibly stupid to come to that conclusion so quickly and so publicly if they weren’t sure of their ground. We’ll just have to see what happens next.

Leave a comment:

• Laps
    commented on 's reply
    Time will tell whether the Met had just cause or not.

• philipo
    replied
    stop and search has had a chequered history; may stopped it due to whatever reasons were given at the time and after the amount of drugs, knife crime and general mayhem in London there was a surge in the views expressed in media that it should be brought back again. wonder what will happen now.

Leave a comment:

• trickstat
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, she does lose her cool but, to me, she seems more anxious and concerned for her child rather than belligerent.

I have been driving for 33 years and have never been stopped by the police. I really do think that wouldn't be the case if I were black.

• Occasional Hope
    commented on 's reply
    True, but I can see why you might get a bit annoyed if the same thing had happened multiple times before, and you felt you were innocent of any wrongdoing.

• Laps
    replied
    Bianca seemed to be doing exactly what you shouldn't. Lose your cool and start arguing/resisting.

Leave a comment:

• Occasional Hope
    commented on 's reply
    Better than the Met's, by the look of it.

• drobbie
    replied
    my detective skills are on point then

Leave a comment:

• Occasional Hope
    commented on 's reply
    You're right that it was Bianca Williams: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/l...stop-chc2l9nc3

This story says they've experienced being stopped 15 times in 2 1/2 years, which does sound suspicious.
    Last edited by Occasional Hope; 05-07-20, 18:45.

• Occasional Hope
    replied
    Hard to say without knowing the details.

However, if the windows were blacked out as said by the police in the Mail article, how would they have known it was a black family?

Note, have watched the video on Times link below and nothing looks remotely blacked out there.
    Last edited by Occasional Hope; 05-07-20, 18:49.

Leave a comment:

• Linford Christie furiously accuses the Met of institutional racism

dont know if anybody has seen this yet, im assuming it was bainca williams and boyfriend who were stopped based on her age and having a 3 month old baby, she obviously is not coached by linford christie according to power of 10 but maybe her boyfriend is? anyway shameful treatment by british police

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...iving-car.html
Working...
X