Road to Tokyo 2020 tracking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road to Tokyo 2020 tracking

World Athletics have launched a new tool to track athletes' qualification for the OG in 2021 - https://www.worldathletics.org/stats...oad-to/7132391

What it doesn't take into consideration is federations that are choosing not to (or only partially to) honour qualification by World Rankings Position (Hello, Great Britain!) So, in some events, athletes that are on the bubble may well be "in".

They've already said: no overseas spectators allowed.

Comment

Id be surprised at how many domestic spectators they allow, current vaccine levels at less that 0.8% of population, gonna need a huge push by the summer to make it viable

Comment

Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
        They've already said: no overseas spectators allowed.
        i hope any spectators or officials from outside Japan get treated with more respect and friendliness than our Brit group under the esteemed David barnett, did in 1991 at the World Champs in Tokyo; i recall the ghastly japanese "gaijin" mentality, apart from the heat and humidity. Our hotel had shoeboxes for bedrooms, the restaurants either threw you out at ten whether you finished your meals or not and lied when we came as a small group that they had no room and were fully booked.Lots of other bad manners as well.Thankfully there was some great track. Anyone is welcome to their endless bowing and so called cute culture.!!!.

Comment

Originally posted by philipo View Post

i hope any spectators or officials from outside Japan get treated with more respect and friendliness than our Brit group under the esteemed David barnett, did in 1991 at the World Champs in Tokyo; i recall the ghastly japanese "gaijin" mentality, apart from the heat and humidity. Our hotel had shoeboxes for bedrooms, the restaurants either threw you out at ten whether you finished your meals or not and lied when we came as a small group that they had no room and were fully booked.Lots of other bad manners as well.Thankfully there was some great track. Anyone is welcome to their endless bowing and so called cute culture.!!!.
          whereas the so called arrogant Germans, at every meet i have been to at OG and WC level, were unfailingly helpful, co-operative and pleasant.

Comment

I dont know how many of you follow swimming ... but the British swimming trials took place over five days, finishing at the weekend, and there was some great performances. I do miss stevek26, who was both a stalwart of this forum in previous iterations and a keen swwimming fan. The performance director is hoping to improve upon the 6 medals achieved at Rio. I hope the British athletes have been suitably inspired.and able to overcome the challanges the last year has presented to their trianing.... good luck all.

Comment

Originally posted by carterhatch View Post
              I dont know how many of you follow swimming ... but the British swimming trials took place over five days, finishing at the weekend, and there was some great performances. I do miss stevek26, who was both a stalwart of this forum in previous iterations and a keen swimming fan. The performance director is hoping to improve upon the 6 medals achieved at Rio. I hope the British athletes have been suitably inspired.and able to overcome the challanges the last year has presented to their trianing.... good luck all.
              I have followed Brit and international swimming since the 1950s and watched with delight the last week of swimming in London.The British sporting media naturally totally ignored its existence since they can't understand individual sports . If I was Adam Peaty, our one true swimming champ, every time some creep from the media him asked for a quote or interview, i would tell them to f*ck off.

Some excellent results from Dawson in the backstroke, Abbie Wood in several events, Duncan, who swam with real commitment in the IM and a great 200m freestyle and looks set for a medal in the IM, at last our 200m breaststroke woman looks a medal prospect; It is clear that the coaches have done a great job on some of our younger swimmers; there were many surprises; an excellent and promising meet all round under the toughest circumstances.
              However a word of warning; its April and the swimmers who swam so well must replicate under far more pressure in Japan, when they will have more swims, with 3 rounds in the shorter events, in addition to which the finals in many events will be in the morning to suit those money grubbing morons across the pond who cannot be asked to be inconvenienced because they are the IOC money bags.
              Traditionally our swimmers are not at their best in a.m. swims. However i live in hope that the coaches have persuaded our swim team that just to be an Olympian is not enough if you really want medals.
              Carter, i hoped you noted that the BBC did not, as far as i noted, show any live swimming at the Trials, but it was all on Youtube. Well done Youtube, the best resource for all entertainment, sport reflection, cultural stuff , documentaries and anything else that
              tickles your fancy. By the way if one is a swim fan of international swimming you have to go to Swimswam site , mainly American , but covers whats happening around the globe in swimming, Mostly put on Google a site called State of Swimming, and the best sports journalist in the UK, Craig Lord is there to inform on all aspects of the sport and detailed results etc.

Comment

Hello Philipo ... without straying too far off topic (although this is 'Road to Tokyo) ...

Yes, I watched it all on youtube - and glad I didn't have to suffer (yes suffer) the Beeb's presentation (although the commentary would have benefitted from another input throughout). I was surprised that the trials did not replicate the schedule at Tokyo, as you pioint out, with finals in the morning and I assure you I am not gettig carried away quite yet, as the team will have to mostly settle for finals and PBs at best.

However, someone like Duncan Scott trains for his heavy schedule, and as you note, his 200 IM could be something special, and I agree Peaty is taken for granted. He has the 20 fastest times ever in the 100 breaststroke (it was compared to Usain Bolt who apparently has the seven fastest times in the 100m - if you discount any time run by someone found to have doped) I think we can also get excited about the men's 4 x 200, after a quite astonising final at trials. You also note Dawson and Wood, who might well feature in finals and then who knows what can happen, and with Molly Renshaw and Freya Anderson, there will be plenty to cheer on...

I am very familiar with the swimswam site and it is a great resource, and would refer you to another interesting input, Pullbuoy and his latest podcast revieing the trials https://anchor.fm/pullbuoy ..

Cheers!.

Comment

Working...
                X