X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RunUnlimited
    replied
    Originally posted by treadwater1 View Post
    As we have seen from Thiam over the years Kats performance yesterday will likely motivate her to do even better. Kats 6813 is only 3 points behind the score Thiam produced in Berlin last year, but that was Thiams best ever score at a major championships, surpassing even her Rio score. After a mediocre first day last year, by her standards, she must have sensed Kat could beat her and responded with her second best LJ ever and her second best Jav. When’s she’s under pressure she usually responds very well. Also worth noting that Thiams 3 best LJs were all from last year, no longer a weakness for her. Roll on Talence
    Roll on Talence indeed. Thiam will respond certainly to the gauntlet thrown down by Kat.

Leave a comment:

• treadwater1
    replied
    As we have seen from Thiam over the years Kats performance yesterday will likely motivate her to do even better. Kats 6813 is only 3 points behind the score Thiam produced in Berlin last year, but that was Thiams best ever score at a major championships, surpassing even her Rio score. After a mediocre first day last year, by her standards, she must have sensed Kat could beat her and responded with her second best LJ ever and her second best Jav. When’s she’s under pressure she usually responds very well. Also worth noting that Thiams 3 best LJs were all from last year, no longer a weakness for her. Roll on Talence

Leave a comment:

• Ursus
    replied
    Well done to Kat.

But there was a bit of drama, as there invariably is. This time she found a decent shot at the final time of asking, but if she hadn’t we’d be taking a slightly different tone.

This was pretty straightforward and unpressured. The big question is how she’ll react when she’s got competition breathing down her neck or a bit ahead. But that’s for another day, tonight she should be feeling pretty pleased with herself.

Leave a comment:

• drobbie
    replied
    Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post

The key for KJT is that she doesn't *need* to be a 50m javelin or 15m shot putter to be an Olympic or World Champion, just has to be ok at those events... A 13.50m shot and a 43-45m javelin would be good enough, even with Thiam launching both out of the stadium. Because no matter what Thiam does, she's unlikely now to ever run sub 24 seconds in the 200m, let alone sub-23 seconds. KJT running a 22.9 in a heptathlon is definitely a problem for Thiam. In the 100m hurdles, sure, Thiam ran 13.34 in that magical Gotzis last year (and into a slight headwind too), but in all her major championship heptathlons, she's not run faster than 13.56 and usually runs slower still. KJT on the other hand, has been a very consistent 13.3x runner in the hurdles in her competitive heptathlons. She'll never be a Jess Ennis-Hill or JJK, but she has room to get quicker, like 13.10 or 13.00 region. That would again be a problem for Thiam.

They are a match for each other in the high jump, both capable of leaping over 2m if need be. The LJ is another key event. Thiam has gotten better in the last couple of years and effectively canceled out KJT's 6.68m leap in Berlin with her own 6.60m jump. But KJT is still capable of throwing in a "Big One", 6.80 - 6.90m. I'd be over the Moon to see her do that either in Doha or Tokyo.

All in all though, we are talking about the two best female multi-event athletes in the world right now, and the gap between them isn't as large as we probably thought.
    kjt is better than thiam in the penthathlon and thiam is better outdoors, if she gets what she got in the javelin and shot put over the weekend in the worlds then its going to be very close indeed

Leave a comment:

• RunUnlimited
    replied
    Originally posted by carterhatch View Post
    The next 18 months will determine whether KJT achieves global legendary status ... I for one have never doubted her immense natural talent, no British female athlete has ever, will ever, have her combination of LJ/HJ/200 but the journey has been rocky as we all know, she has had a tendency to buckle under pressure in her strong events, her SP and JT have hitherto let her down and at times her body language has almost been her downfall ...

but this performance odes so well ... while her SP and JT will never be the best in a Heptathlon field, there seems to be progress, it is not stellar, but it doesnt have to be... I repeat again, her hurdles, however, surely could come down to very low 13... in the right conditions her 200 could be substantially better than Thiam's, and with one event to go, could KJT break 2.07 if she needed 3 seconds margin to win Gold?

I think we take for granted just how good KJT is, as supporters of British athletics we have a once in a generation talent before us, and the script might well be, a silver at Doha, leading to, that rare but beautiful smile breaking out, on top of the podium at Tokyo ... it will be yogurts all round on me if she does.

The key for KJT is that she doesn't *need* to be a 50m javelin or 15m shot putter to be an Olympic or World Champion, just has to be ok at those events... A 13.50m shot and a 43-45m javelin would be good enough, even with Thiam launching both out of the stadium. Because no matter what Thiam does, she's unlikely now to ever run sub 24 seconds in the 200m, let alone sub-23 seconds. KJT running a 22.9 in a heptathlon is definitely a problem for Thiam. In the 100m hurdles, sure, Thiam ran 13.34 in that magical Gotzis last year (and into a slight headwind too), but in all her major championship heptathlons, she's not run faster than 13.56 and usually runs slower still. KJT on the other hand, has been a very consistent 13.3x runner in the hurdles in her competitive heptathlons. She'll never be a Jess Ennis-Hill or JJK, but she has room to get quicker, like 13.10 or 13.00 region. That would again be a problem for Thiam.

They are a match for each other in the high jump, both capable of leaping over 2m if need be. The LJ is another key event. Thiam has gotten better in the last couple of years and effectively canceled out KJT's 6.68m leap in Berlin with her own 6.60m jump. But KJT is still capable of throwing in a "Big One", 6.80 - 6.90m. I'd be over the Moon to see her do that either in Doha or Tokyo.

All in all though, we are talking about the two best female multi-event athletes in the world right now, and the gap between them isn't as large as we probably thought.

Leave a comment:

• trickstat
    commented on 's reply
    This is where Kat has progressed since 3 years or so ago. Back then you could practically guarantee that she would not pull out a decent throw in the last round after those first 2 efforts.

• carterhatch
    replied
    The next 18 months will determine whether KJT achieves global legendary status ... I for one have never doubted her immense natural talent, no British female athlete has ever, will ever, have her combination of LJ/HJ/200 but the journey has been rocky as we all know, she has had a tendency to buckle under pressure in her strong events, her SP and JT have hitherto let her down and at times her body language has almost been her downfall ...

but this performance odes so well ... while her SP and JT will never be the best in a Heptathlon field, there seems to be progress, it is not stellar, but it doesnt have to be... I repeat again, her hurdles, however, surely could come down to very low 13... in the right conditions her 200 could be substantially better than Thiam's, and with one event to go, could KJT break 2.07 if she needed 3 seconds margin to win Gold?

I think we take for granted just how good KJT is, as supporters of British athletics we have a once in a generation talent before us, and the script might well be, a silver at Doha, leading to, that rare but beautiful smile breaking out, on top of the podium at Tokyo ... it will be yogurts all round on me if she does.

Leave a comment:

• RunUnlimited
    replied
    Originally posted by CAML
    A peculiar accolade. 18th on the world all time list, is not a fitting position for someone of KJT's talent
    A score achieved at a damp and cool Gotzis, unlike the near-perfect conditions Thiam had when she broke the 7000 point barrier. As I said earlier, in better conditions, this performance would have been closer to 6900 points, say 6870... That score would move her to 10th all time. Anything over 6900 points would be inside the top 8 performers of all time. So I don't think she is very far from doing something in the heptathlon that would better reflect her immense talent in the multi-events.

Leave a comment:

• RunUnlimited
    replied
    Originally posted by jjimbojames View Post
    To think, it wasn’t that long ago people were calling for her to ditch the event. A lot of her issues have been mentally holding up, but the last 18 months have shown she can do that. I hope she finds those small gains and can push on some more - not many women have ever retained an Olympic heptathlon crown, so it’s all to play for.
    I'm one of those bozos that said that after KJT's disaster in Beijing in 2015. I'm very, very happy to have been proved wrong about her desire and attitude to the heptathlon.

As you have pointed out in earlier today, KJT would have scored closer to 6900 points today in better weather conditions, in particular with her 200m time. In warmer, calmer conditions (Doha?), she would have put up a score that even Thiam would have to pay attention to.
    KJT is indeed the world's #2 heptathlete behind Thiam. Schafer wasn't really herself, Bougard who was being bigged up by some on here had a really bad long jump, way down on her 6.62 PB and just couldn't get it going in the shot put.

In the end, KJT won Gotzis by well over 300 points. By Doha, the likes of Schafer and Ikaunece will improve again and close that gap somewhat, but I just can't see anybody else getting between Johnson-Thompson and Nafi Thiam for the gold in the World Championships.

Leave a comment:

• jjimbojames
    replied
    ^^^Good work!

59.4 first lap - she either expects to be running a fair few seconds quicker, or will be quicker by taking the first lap a bit easier. Would love a 2.05 for her

Leave a comment:

• RunUnlimited
    replied
    Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post
    KJT is gonna win this comfortably. A big leap of 6.68m in the long jump has given her an over 200 point lead going into the javelin. Unless she has a complete meltdown with the javelin, then I don't see any reason for Johnson-Thompson to lose this. She might even get into the 6800 point range if she gets a 41-43m javelin then runs a 2.08 - 2.09 800m
    I *bleep*ing called it!

Leave a comment:

• jjimbojames
    replied
    To think, it wasn’t that long ago people were calling for her to ditch the event. A lot of her issues have been mentally holding up, but the last 18 months have shown she can do that. I hope she finds those small gains and can push on some more - not many women have ever retained an Olympic heptathlon crown, so it’s all to play for.

Leave a comment:

• treadwater1
    replied
    KJT moves up to 18th on the world all time list, outstanding
    Last edited by treadwater1; 26-05-19, 16:38.

Leave a comment:

• carterhatch
    replied
    Well done KJT, 6813 PB

and I honestly believe there is room for improvement on her hurdles and her 200 time here at Gotzis is no where near her best, when the conditions are good. The slightest of marginal gains in both SP and JV, and an 800 eyeballs out, it might well be a 6900+ at Doha...

Leave a comment:

• drobbie
    replied
    6813 pb for kat and all to play for in the worlds

Leave a comment:

Working...
X