X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World 400m champion Naser provisionally suspended by AIU

https://in.reuters.com/article/athle...3C1TL?rpc=401&

Wonder how this going to go down?

Oh dear. I know people had expressed some doubts about her in the past.

Comment

Seeing, 2 missed in 2019 and then 1 at some point earlier this year, apparently more info on the bahrain site. not checked as yet

Comment

Her Doha run was unbelievable, and not in a good way, sadly. Younger athletes drop chunks of time off all the time, but the curve has to steepen when you’re world class at 19, yet she knocked another (almost) second off, in one race, after individual and relay rounds, and looked casual doing it. SMU was vomiting and knackered.

That said, some reports saying suspended “for now” - almost expecting her to be cleared. I assume any ban would be from the date of the third test and not backdated to the first test, which is a shame, as her world title, PB and substantial money from the DL runs would stay intact. Her agent’s not having a good week - they really need to look at punishing those with serial records of athletes with infractions.

Comment

Originally posted by jjimbojames View Post
          Her agent’s not having a good week - they really need to look at punishing those with serial records of athletes with infractions.
          Do agents get athletes spots in DL races? If they refused to accept athletes from those sources (ie agents who have been associated with X number of banned athletes) that would reduce some of the financial gains from doping.

Comment

They do...definitely need to go after more than just the athletes

Comment

On her Instagram, she is saying three missed tests is “normal” and she hopes to get this “little stain” off her career....looks like she was expecting a different system to the WA one...hopefully not state, systemic doping a la Russia, but given the positive tests from the last few years and these comments which basically say it’s OK to miss tests normally, you wouldn’t be overly surprised

Comment

By 2020 every elite athlete should have the whereabouts rules firmly entrenched. Naser's comments make it sound as if she regularly isn't where she's supposed to be.

Comment

Apparently missed four and not three - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/52956011

Comment

3 before Doha and a 4th in January. (obviously undergoing appeal and so wouldn't be excluded from the champs at the time)

Never mind any possible actual cheating, that kind of negligence and attitude is crazy!!

Comment

I know I was full of surprise and wonder when I posted my immediate reaction to Naser's run in Doha on this forum back.... to see with your own eyes something that hadn't been seen for 30+ years would make *anybody* pretty excited!

However, even then I remember having some serious doubts about the legitimacy of that run, especially as Jim points out the way SMU was at the end of that 400m final (where she smashed her own PB by a substantial margin) and was a complete physical and emotional mess, while Naser looked like she could run just as hard again with an hour's rest!

El Naser then doesn't help her case when she casually disregards the seriousness of the allegations by saying "missing 3 tests in natural", or words to that effect.... which is absolute nonsense of the highest order.... BTW, remember what happened to Ohurugho and her 3 missed tests back in 2006 and the backlash she faced, even when she presented evidence to back up her entirely reasonable defense that eventually exonerated her? Now imagine that scenario, but Christine instead decided to dismiss the concerns as "normal"....

The biggest shame of all of this is that I've been a *fan* of the way El Naser ran her races and really looked forward to the next few years of the rivalary between herself and Miller-Uibo develop.... Now we perhaps know why El Naser has been able to perform as she has done all along. God damn it!

Comment

Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
                        By 2020 every elite athlete should have the whereabouts rules firmly entrenched. Naser's comments make it sound as if she regularly isn't where she's supposed to be.
                        Good point. You'd think that if you're going to (lamely) defend your position on this, you'd say maybe "Oh, but missing 2 tests is fairly normal, what with the X/Y/Z reasons that such can happen with a professional athlete." It's still mostly BS, but it's at least couched in a layer of reasonable deniability that could, if you're guilable, make you believe them. For El Naser to just casually remark that missing 3 tests is "normal", then it's likely that not only is she totally disconnected with reality, but its also calls into question if she actually followed (or her nation for that matter) the WADA rules regarding whereabouts regulations....

Comment

Why wasn't SEN suspended before the World Championships, at which point it emerges she had already had 3 whereabouts violations? What was that all about? I'd always loved watching her progress until that Doha final. Her splits including a sub 11 100m on one quarter seemed unbelievable and clearly were!

Mistake in my earlier now deleted post - the great Marie-José Pérec should now be the world record holder with Shaunae no. 2. Totally wrong that official state sponsored doping paperwork can show an athlete was definitely doped and yet because she continues to deny it and was never tested positive, she still holds the No. 1 position.

Comment

I would have assumed she was in appeal for the 3rd missed test, which during appeal the athlete is not classed as Suspended and in-fact the info would still only be between WADA (+local drug agency) and not WA or even Bahrain Athletics.

Legal process has to be followed to protect the athlete in case of error/ or something else (which id say is correct).

But knowing she had already missed 3 tests and was most likely never going to be overturned she did decide to still run.

Comment

Originally posted by LoveSprints1 View Post
                              Why wasn't SEN suspended before the World Championships, at which point it emerges she had already had 3 whereabouts violations? What was that all about? I'd always loved watching her progress until that Doha final. Her splits including a sub 11 100m on one quarter seemed unbelievable and clearly were!

Mistake in my earlier now deleted post - the great Marie-José Pérec should now be the world record holder with Shaunae no. 2. Totally wrong that official state sponsored doping paperwork can show an athlete was definitely doped and yet because she continues to deny it and was never tested positive, she still holds the No. 1 position.
                              I sympathise with your view on Koch as WR holder - given the records uncovered in the 90s, there is no doubt she doped. However, if her name is removed, Kratochvilova - for whom there is no concrete evidence of doping - would be the new WR holder. So we'd replace a doper with a slightly less fast doper.

As for Perec - why should we have any confidence that she was clean? She was coached by John Smith! I could spend the next hour sharing his associations with proven drug takers. This is the guy that Ben Johnson's coach, Charlie Francis, credited with teaching him everything he knew about steroids.

Comment

Working...
                              X