2018/19 funding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018/19 funding

There's usually some debate about the funding allocations, but the lists have been published today. I've copied the non-para funding below. British Athletics World Class Programme 2018-19

Olympic Podium
    Dina Asher-Smith
    Holly Bradshaw
    Mo Farah
    Callum Hawkins
    Sophie Hitchon
    Zharnel Hughes
    Katarina Johnson-Thompson
    Morgan Lake
    Nick Miller
    Laura Muir
    Reece Prescod
    Shara Proctor
    Lynsey Sharp
    Lorraine Ugen

Olympic Podium Potential
    Tom Bosworth
    Andrew Butchart
    Taylor Campbell
    Rosie Clarke
    Melissa Courtney
    Tim Duckworth
    Niamh Emerson
    Tom Gale
    Elliot Giles
    Charlie Da’Vall Grice
    Dewi Griffiths
    Adam Hague
    Josh Kerr
    Kyle Langford
    Eilish McColgan
    Sarah McDonald
    Naomi Ogbeta
    Shelayna Oskan-Clarke
    Andrew Pozzi
    Jemma Reekie
    Daniel Rowden
    Jazmin Sawyers
    Katie Snowden
    Adelle Tracey
    Laura Weightman
    Jake Wightman
    Callum Wilkinson

Olympic Relays
    Finette Agyapong
    Amy Allcock
    Kristal Awuah
    Cameron Chalmers
    Zoey Clark
    Dwayne Cowan
    Emily Diamond
    Beth Dobbin
    Eilidh Doyle
    Ojie Edoburun
    Miguel Francis
    Adam Gemili
    Desiree Henry
    Matthew Hudson-Smith
    Richard Kilty
    Imani-Lara Lansiquot
    Nethaneel Mitchell-Blake
    Daryll Neita
    Ashleigh Nelson
    Laviai Nielsen
    Asha Philip
    Martyn Rooney
    Danny Talbot
    CJ Ujah
    Bianca Williams
    Rabah Yousif

Thanks Larkin......Do you know how much £ financial support they are actually awarded ? And Do all the names listed in a group (eg Poduim Potential) all get exactly he same amounts/awards , which I assume (?) are subject to several conditions like actually competing, when selected in a GB vest ? .

Comment

It's all documented here http://jaskcreative.s3.amazonaws.com...ndex.html#p=20

£28k max down to £7k, plus medical support. Funding is means tested too, so the top stars don't draw on the £28k of living costs etc.

Comment

Originally posted by larkim View Post
        It's all documented here http://jaskcreative.s3.amazonaws.com...ndex.html#p=20

£28k max down to £7k, plus medical support. Funding is means tested too, so the top stars don't draw on the £28k of living costs etc.
        Olympic Relays is shown as £28K or £21K p.a, ; that seems strange when looking at the names of some athletes on the Relays list getting 28K p.a., as much as our top podium hopes. We cannot know, perhaps, who on the long Relays actually gets what , can we?? The 14 names on the Olympic Podium list seem pretty reasonable.

Comment

or maybe a number of the relay athletes are in C D or E levels; much lower and more sensible amounts.

Comment

Personally I'd put all on the funding on £28k - if they don't live with parents, have sponsors or have a partner that can support them, you can't actually live off £7k. I know the concept of full time athletes is sometimes considered to breed "soft" and lazy athletes, but if we can't commit to them being "professional" in that sense then the funding really isn't giving them the opportunity to give their best.

Comment

So Kilty is retained on funding again? How mysterious.

I notice Alex Bell has been dropped from Potential funding. I wonder if her outrage at not being selected for the Europeans was a factor? One would hope not, obviously.

It's excellent to see Laura Weightman and Shara Proctor back on funding.

Comment

Looking through the MD events in particular, based on 2018 timing rankings alone, the following stand out:-
                Chris O'Hare - fastest 1500m last year by some way; but only one stand out performance. Is his US connection getting in the way?
                Guy Learmonth - 2nd fastest 800m last year, but again was that just one stand out performance which has counted against him?
                Alex Bell - only ranked 5th last year for 800m, with Muir, Sharp, Oskan-Clarke and Tracey ahead of her. Four years as a senior, is it too harsh to suggest "potential" doesn't make too much sense any more?

There are other rants in other forums about other MD proponents missing, but few really make compelling cases in ranking terms when compared to the ones in the funding buckets.

Comment

Originally posted by philipo View Post
                  or maybe a number of the relay athletes are in C D or E levels; much lower and more sensible amounts.
                  Think those that ran in finals at London 2017 are on A funding, any that ran in heats on B with others on C/D

Comment

[QUOTE=larkim;n231]Personally I'd put all on the funding on £28k - if they don't live with parents, have sponsors or have a partner that can support them, you can't actually live off £7k. I know the concept of full time athletes is sometimes considered to breed "soft" and lazy athletes, but if we can't commit to them being "professional" in that sense then the funding really isn't giving them the opportunity to give their best.

I think most of those on Podium funding and quite a lot on Potential/Relay have sponsorship. And also get regular invites to DL with appearance fees & prize money there.

Those that get dropped often say the medical support is what they miss rather than the everyday costs.

Comment

Originally posted by larkim View Post
                      Personally I'd put all on the funding on £28k - if they don't live with parents, have sponsors or have a partner that can support them, you can't actually live off £7k. I know the concept of full time athletes is sometimes considered to breed "soft" and lazy athletes, but if we can't commit to them being "professional" in that sense then the funding really isn't giving them the opportunity to give their best.
                      I’ve wondered in the past to what extent sponsors are aware of athletes levels of funding and whether they offer them less than they otherwise would have done if funding didn’t exist. I’m sure the bigger names with still have agents able to negotiate assertively in the marketplace but what of the Martyn Rooney’s of this world who aren’t household names.

It would have been nice to see Efoloko and Norris join Emerson on potential funding after their exploits at the world u20s. Their achievements were on a par with Emerson’s, who was potential last year. Perhaps Norris’ NCAA involvement precludes him. I can’t see why they couldn’t move Ofili down to potential funding if they can put Shara Proctor straight up to Podium. Ashleigh Nelson is quite fortunate to be funded again after the emergence of Awuah

Comment

NCAA does exclude people from funding (Duckworth & Kerr are being funded for the first time now they have turned pro.) Am guessing Efoloko will get Futures Funding which will be announced next week. He's certainly worth a place more than Francis or Kilty on relay funding though.

Comment

Originally posted by treadwater1 View Post

I’ve wondered in the past to what extent sponsors are aware of athletes levels of funding and whether they offer them less than they otherwise would have done if funding didn’t exist. I’m sure the bigger names with still have agents able to negotiate assertively in the marketplace but what of the Martyn Rooney’s of this world who aren’t household names.

It would have been nice to see Efoloko and Norris join Emerson on potential funding after their exploits at the world u20s. Their achievements were on a par with Emerson’s, who was potential last year. Perhaps Norris’ NCAA involvement precludes him. I can’t see why they couldn’t move Ofili down to potential funding if they can put Shara Proctor straight up to Podium. Ashleigh Nelson is quite fortunate to be funded again after the emergence of Awuah
                          emerson won a senior individual medal in the commonwealths so i can see why she was picked over them

Comment

I think most about those on podium subsidizing and a considerable amount on potential have sponsorship and furthermore get customary welcomes to with appearance expenses and prize cash there

http://historicarmouries.com.au/
                            Last edited by Henry; 31-12-18, 11:39.

Comment

Working...
                            X