Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doha diamond league

more brits than usual competing , probably because of the world champs

myers in the pole vault, proctor and ugen in the lj, beesley in the 400 hurdles, mithell blake in the 200, sharp in the 800, hylton and asher smith in the 200

Originally posted by drobbie View Post
    more brits than usual competing , probably because of the world champs

myers in the pole vault, proctor and ugen in the lj, beesley in the 400 hurdles, mithell blake in the 200, sharp in the 800, hylton and asher smith in the 200
    It's going to be very interesting to see what type of form Asher-Smith is in this early in the season... After her amazing 2018 performances in Berlin, this will be another step up in quality. Having seen Miler-Uibo flying to that quick time over 400 recently, would DAS be thinking about putting in a fast time early doors herself?

An important year for Ugen too after arguably having her best season last year, getting into the 7m club and winning the Stockholm Diamond League, as well as her heroics in the 4x100m sprint relay... At the same time, when it came to the biggest event of the year, Ugen flopped badly in the LJ final at the Euros.

Comment

70.56 DLR from Stahl in the DT. Amazing series, struggling to believe there have been (m)any better. All 6 throws valid, 3 over 70 with a “worst” of 69.50. Incredible.

7 22m putters on display later including Crouser....

Comment

nothing particularly good for the brits so far, mitchell blake didnt look good in the 200, beesely did ok, proctor not very good, ugen fairly consistent at the 6.60 mark, myers did ok in the pole vault

Comment

Dina Asher-Smith opens up with a more-than-solid 22.26 clocking as she wins the 200m in dominant fashion (though it must be added that Marie-Josse Ta Lou, who ran so well in the 100m last year in the Diamond League and was set up as DAS' main challenger here, couldn't compete due to a calf problem). Surely that has to be one of Asher-Smith's fastest openings to a season ever in her career so far. Impressive stuff.

Not *quite* so impressive from Shannon Hylton however in the same race, who fault started and was dq'd.
          Last edited by RunUnlimited; 03-05-19, 21:19.

Comment

Having just watched the BBC highlights show of Dina-Asher Smith's run in Doha yesterday, damn that was an amazing display of controlled running against a class field minus Ta Lou, and she spanked the lot of them by about 4 meters!

22.26 in her first run of the season? That's easily the fastest start to her season ever, running a time that she's only bettered four or five times in her career so far! What the heck is she going to be doing by the time she returns to Doha for the World Champs in September? I mean.... could the European record be under threat here? Asher Smith's interview after the race showed that she was surprised to run this fast so early in the season, and if 2018 was any indication, perhaps getting down into the 21.6x region isn't as far fetched as first thought!
            Last edited by RunUnlimited; 08-05-19, 10:13.

Comment

Excellent start to the season by Dina.

Comment

Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post
                Having just watched the BBC highlights show of Dina-Asher Smith's run in Doha yesterday, damn that was an amazing display of controlled running against a class field minus Ta Lou, and she spanked the lot of them by about 4 meters!

22.26 in her first run of the season? That's easily the fastest start to her season ever, running a time that she's only bettered four or five times in her career so far! What the heck is she going to be doing by the time she returns to Doha for the World Champs in September? I mean.... could the European record be under threat here? Asher Smith's interview after the race showed that she was surprised to run this fast so early in the season, and if 2018 was any indication, perhaps getting down into the 21.6x region isn't as far fetched as first thought!
                Last year was a funny start to the season with the Commonwealths. Her opener was a low key 22.90, but she’d run 22.29 by 12th April. But yes the portents are certainly good and I’m backing her to rise up the all time 200 lists. Her 21.89 has her 22nd. Some may say that some above her are slightly dubious, so her real ranking is much better. Guess the “real” WR is Schippers 21.63.

Ranked 35th all time at 100.

Comment

Originally posted by Ursus View Post

Last year was a funny start to the season with the Commonwealths. Her opener was a low key 22.90, but she’d run 22.29 by 12th April. But yes the portents are certainly good and I’m backing her to rise up the all time 200 lists. Her 21.89 has her 22nd. Some may say that some above her are slightly dubious, so her real ranking is much better. Guess the “real” WR is Schippers 21.63.

Ranked 35th all time at 100.
                  To put this into a bit more perspective that doesn't include as many drug cheats clogging up the record books... Since the year 2000, Asher Smith's Berlin performance is the 7th fastest 200m run. And of those athletes in that list, Asher Smith is the youngest there, still 22 years old when she blazed to European glory last year.

Running sub 22 seconds before you're 23... And now she's started her season with a confident, dominant run just outside the 22 second barrier.

We need to open up ye olde predictions thread here, because I'm itching to write something outrageously fast for Dina to run in Doha, much like I predicted she'd run 21.9x in Berlin last year, and see how close I get to being right this time around!

(Personally, I'd be disappointed if DAS doesn't at least run another 21.8x in the Worlds.... )

Comment

Working...
                  X