Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amy Hunt

Nice feature/interview here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/52584739

Bump to get in front of the ludicrous amount of spam.

Comment

Failed, it had disappeared again by the time I saw your notification. Awful, isn't it?

Comment

Amy Hunt has stated that with her coach they have decided to focus on the 100 this disrupted season, to work on a number of things,including her starts, What do people think, has it been a positive step? I listened to her post Dohas interview last night and she was trying to put a positive spin on another mediocre performance - I am sure she was hoping for better times. Yes, she is gaining experience racing at these bigger meets coming up against the world best, but ... I would have thought a good 200 would have set her up for a winter and maybe, just maybe she doesnt get optimum out of her talent in a 100, and despite the assurance of Colin Jackson, is actually a 200/400 runner ...

Comment

I think the idea is to race 100s where no one expects anything, to get used to the big stage. Straight to 200m and people will expect wins - look at Burgin. She does look more suited to a 200/400 than a 200/100, but the likes of Felix, SRR, MJP, SMU all had great short speed, so working on it is a good plan for her later career choices. I suspect she’ll be back to 200s next year, but a 4x400 leg in an age group champs would be interesting to see!

Comment

Originally posted by carterhatch View Post
            Amy Hunt has stated that with her coach they have decided to focus on the 100 this disrupted season, to work on a number of things,including her starts, What do people think, has it been a positive step? I listened to her post Dohas interview last night and she was trying to put a positive spin on another mediocre performance - I am sure she was hoping for better times. Yes, she is gaining experience racing at these bigger meets coming up against the world best, but ... I would have thought a good 200 would have set her up for a winter and maybe, just maybe she doesnt get optimum out of her talent in a 100, and despite the assurance of Colin Jackson, is actually a 200/400 runner ...
            Amy Hunt has the potential to be this generation's version of Kathy Cook. Much like how Hunt's junior career has started out, young Kathy too was a prolific 100/200m runner, then ended her career as an accomplished 400m runner (despite her stated dislike for the distance). Amy's bread and butter event will be the 200m for sure, with some 100m thrown in to work on starting and initial speedwork. It's obviously difficult to predict the future, but if ever a junior sprinter had the physique perfect for taking on the 400m, then Hunt has that profile and I wouldn't be shocked to see her take on the 400m at some point in her (hopefully long) career.

Personally, I think if this had been a normal year, Hunt would have definitely worked more on her 100m and starting, but 200m would still be her main event. Having a go at double glory at the World U20's in Nairobi would likely have been a goal too. She had the times to do both in Boras last year, but decided to concentrate fully on the 200m.... to spectacular effect of course,

So I wouldn't read too much into the results we've been seeing in this disrupted season for her, bare in mind that this year she's been racing against the likes of freaking Elaine Thompson-Herah, one of the fastest 100m women in history, and not against athletes of her own age. Running 11.4 times would look much different in a field of U20s than it would on a Diamond League circuit, so I wouldn't worry too much.... I mean heck, she's still only *18* years old after all, and she hasn't even finished developing physically yet! Fast forward 5 years and if she's *still* running these sort of 100m times and not getting close to her 200m best, then we could start worrying about Hunt's development profile.

She'll be fine.
            Last edited by RunUnlimited; 27-09-20, 08:23.

Comment

Originally posted by jjimbojames View Post
              I think the idea is to race 100s where no one expects anything, to get used to the big stage. Straight to 200m and people will expect wins - look at Burgin. She does look more suited to a 200/400 than a 200/100, but the likes of Felix, SRR, MJP, SMU all had great short speed, so working on it is a good plan for her later career choices. I suspect she’ll be back to 200s next year, but a 4x400 leg in an age group champs would be interesting to see!
              Yeah agreed.

Comment

@Runlimited
                you always talk sense, and I do not disagree with your long term prognosis ... The first time I saw Ms. Hunt stretching out on the home straight I was cast back to Kathy Cook and it would be marvelous to have something akin to her once more.

but winning is a habit... and to not have even run one competitive 200 - her best event - is quite a call . I said at the time of the British Champs, the 200 title was hers for the taking - and going through 'rounds' such as they were, and dealing with the 'favourite' label, would have been a good dress rehearsel for the world stage on which she, I have no doubt, make her mark.

As for a 400 leg, wouldn't it be interesting if a four of Dasher - KJT - Amy Hunt - Jodie Williams was given an outing at the commonwealths

Comment

The more I see of Amy Hunt, the more I see a Candace Hill who set PB's at 16 of 10.98 and 22.43, which still stand today. Athletics, alas, produces sprint prodigies whose early success is due to their physical development, and never kick on.

Comment

• Christy93
                    Christy93 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Very possible, but this year has been far from normal, so this is very premature. She had her first 100m race 6 weeks ago, and hasn't run a single 200 this year. This season has been a write off for GB sprinters across the board, save for Lansiquot (whom hunt was within a whisker of in a chilly trials sprint final, I might add). Lets just sit back and see what she can do next year.

Agree with Christy93 way too harsh a judgement on Amy after a truncated season in unprecedented circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by CAML View Post
                    The more I see of Amy Hunt, the more I see a Candace Hill who set PB's at 16 of 10.98 and 22.43, which still stand today. Athletics, alas, produces sprint prodigies whose early success is due to their physical development, and never kick on.
                    Amy Hunt's 200m PB is indeed impressive and may take a while to reproduce itself but I don't feel the same about her 100. She has been consistent this year with her 11.4s. Candace remained consistent in the 11.0s range for a good while even a year after her 10.98. After she developed injury problems, well, you know how it's been... I don't think she's no longer good, she just has a lot to overcome, and who knows if the body or her mind can/will

Comment

Working...
                    X