No announcement yet.

All-time favourite female UK athletes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the long dark evenings ahead and no athletics, one's thoughts might drift to compiling your 'All -time favourite UK female athletes'.

I have to say that while I was happy to list my top ten at the start of the thread, from this season I sense the emergence of young Keely Hodgkinson might well trouble this list with her future career, and, as I noted else where, the reinvention of Jodie Williams is a heartening tale that might see Lady Mary Peters demoted hahahaha.

FYI - if you cant be bothered to read through the thread this was my offering...

Top 5 - almost set in stone

Dame Kelly Holmes
    Kathy Cook
    KJT
    Sally Gunnell
    Jo Pavey

Next 5 - a work in progress

Fatima Whitbread
    Lady Mary Peters
    Perri Shakes-Drayton
    Jessica Ennis Hill
    DASHER

Comment

Couldnt resist this. In no particular order:

Sheila Carey - the 1972 Olympics - the first 1500m for Women -(and after Jim Ryun crashed out she was what was left for me to root for) and 4min 5 there is still pretty good
      Lilian Board - I guess her tragic end keeps her there but still her times and achievements..
      Nicola Sanders -indoors-wow!
      Christina O - her control and timing was impeccable
      Dame Kelly -double Olympic cant be beaten
      Zola Budd- a bit controversial maybe but she shook up female MD running in this country
      Verona Elder -gutsy and smashing person
      JEH - how can she be ignored?
      Kathy Cook - another who lost out to EG doping-best in the World at the time imho
      Sally Gunnell - ordinary !00m hurdler really but 400mH was supreme

No current included as they are still going and Radcliffe's stance and her TV has put me off

Comment

• carterhatch
        carterhatch commented
        Editing a comment
        Good list - must confess Shelia Carey was a new name to me. Glad Nicola Sanders gets a mention and I agree 'indoors - wow' ... Welcome to the forum, srb

Kelly Holmes- my all time fave
      Mary Peters
      Sally Gunnell
      Ennis Hill
      Mary Rand
      Ann Packer

Comment

• carterhatch
        carterhatch commented
        Editing a comment
        Can't argue with these names, but can you round it out to 10, please.

With 14-and-a-bit submissions (Phillipo has so far only provided 6 entries) we have the following number of votes to date.

13 – Dame Kelly Holmes
      12 –Jessica Ennis-Hill
      11 – Sally Gunnell
      8 -The lovely Jo Pavey, the gifted Kathy Cook, (the roller coaster that is) KJT, DASHER, Christine O
      6 – PSD
      5 – Paula Radcliffe
      4 – Tessa Sanderson, Dame Mary Peters, Goldie Sayers, Laura Muir
      3 – Yvonne Murray, Mary Rand, Nicola Sanders
      2 - Ann Packer, Lillian Board, Fatima Whitbread, Joyce Smith, Liz McColgan, Zola Budd, Steph Twell, Christine Boxer
      1 - Judy Oakes, Donna Hartley, Shireen Bailey, Jess Piasecki, Lynne MacDougall, Shirely Strong, Leslie Watson, Helen Clitheroe, Kirsty Wade, Lynsey Sharp, Donna Fraser, Lee McConnell, Alyson Dixon, Liz Yelling, Sonia Lannaman, Sheila Carey, Verona Elder

There are a few, to my surprise, that are notable by their absence ...
      0 - Denise Lewis, Ashia Hansen, Kelly Sotherton, Katharine Merry, Tasha Danvers

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
        SprintRelayFan commented
        Editing a comment
        I suspect Denise loses out because she gets compared with JEH and KJT!

• carterhatch
        carterhatch commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, SprintRelayFan, I'd reached a similar conclusion, and compiliing this list reminded me what a rich multi-event legacy our female athletes have given us ...

Happy to see this one has been reactivated. Meant to post originally ; but dithered around writing lists and crossing names off etc - and forgot to ever finish. So now - after more dithering - here are my ten (some because they are "the best" and others that just happened to resonate with me - probably because of my own mood when I witnessed their great moment ) Anyway :

Mary Rand (her performance in 1964 ! Three medals ... 'nuff said)
      Ann Packer ( hairs on the back of my neck rose as I listened to her racing into the lead : still remember the feeling)
      Shirley Strong (who can't love someone who wins an Olympic medal and goes looking for a celebratory cigarette ?)
      Liz McColgan (Tokyo triumph was great to watch)
      Sally Gunnell (Olympic, World , Euro, C'Wealth + WR : the full set 👑)
      Paula Radcliffe (how I wish she had won the Olympic medal that eluded her ! But she won everything else)
      Kelly Holmes (perseverance rewarded at last ... and how !)
      Kelly Sotherton (For someone who couldn't throw her javelin over her back fence she wasn't bad at the Heptathlon)
      Christine O ( exchanged a high five with her after her Melbourne victory in 2006. She got even better !)
      Jess Ennis-Hill ( looked "small" beside some of her rivals. But towered over them at the finish)

That'll have to do (though I can't believe I've left Kathy Cook out!)

Comment

• carterhatch
        carterhatch commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by alfie View Post
         (though I can't believe I've left Kathy Cook out!)
        nor, can I alfie, nor can I but thanks for the list, and a welcome inclusion for Kelly Sotherton! I am too young for the Rand/Packer era, but respect their achievements, and for those who dont know the reference a la Shirley Strong (i mentioned it myself up thread), google for image, it could never, ever happen now.
        Last edited by carterhatch; 02-11-21, 12:32.

mcolgan (liz), muir, holmes, gunnell, ennis, kjt, psd, ohurughu, doyle, keeley

Comment

• carterhatch
        carterhatch commented
        Editing a comment
        so you've had a second stab at it, Drobbie! I was going to mention Doyle as a notable absentee from any list and I assume you mean Keeley Hodgkinson, I have a feeling she will be threatening a number of lists if she stays fit and healthy ...

Sonia Lannaman
      Lilian Board
      Mary Peters
      Tessa Sanderson
      Sally Gunnell
      Kelly Holmes
      Kathy Cook
      Jess Ennis
      Jenny Meadows
      Sharon Colyear

Comment

• carterhatch
        carterhatch commented
        Editing a comment
        Had long forgotten Sharon Colyear (or Danville) but a nice addition to the growing nominees ...

A further two forum users have contributed their lists (making it a total of 16-and-a-bit) and I have amended the summary accordingly.

I have made an executive decision on the double drobbie submission and for the time being noted[*] the four that vary between the two lists, partly due to the fact Philipo only included 6 in his. This could be corrected in the future.

Three athletes are currently breaking away from the rest to fill our podium.

15 - Dame Kelly Holmes
      14 - Jessica Ennis-Hill
      13 – Sally Gunnell
      9 - Christine O, Kathy Cook
      8 - Jo Pavey, KJT, DASHER*
      6 – PSD, Paula Radcliffe
      5 – Dame Mary Peters, Tessa Sanderson
      4 – Goldie Sayers, Laura Muir, Mary Rand
      3 – Yvonne Murray, Nicola Sanders, Ann Packer, Liz McColgan, Lillian Board
      2 - Fatima Whitbread, Joyce Smith, Zola Budd, Steph Twell, Christine Boxer, Shirley Strong, Sonia Lannaman
      1 - Judy Oakes, Donna Hartley, Shireen Bailey, Jess Piasecki, Lynne MacDougall, Leslie Watson, Helen Clitheroe, Kirsty Wade, Lynsey Sharp*, Donna Fraser, Lee McConnell, Alyson Dixon, Liz Yelling, Sheila Carey, Verona Elder, Eilidh Doyle*, Keely Hodgkinson*, Kelly Sotherton, Jenny Meadows, Sharon Colyear

Comment

Originally posted by alfie View Post
        Happy to see this one has been reactivated. Meant to post originally ; but dithered around writing lists and crossing names off etc - and forgot to ever finish. So now - after more dithering - here are my ten (some because they are "the best" and others that just happened to resonate with me - probably because of my own mood when I witnessed their great moment ) Anyway :

Mary Rand (her performance in 1964 ! Three medals ... 'nuff said)
        Ann Packer ( hairs on the back of my neck rose as I listened to her racing into the lead : still remember the feeling)
        Shirley Strong (who can't love someone who wins an Olympic medal and goes looking for a celebratory cigarette ?)
        Liz McColgan (Tokyo triumph was great to watch)
        Sally Gunnell (Olympic, World , Euro, C'Wealth + WR : the full set 👑)
        Paula Radcliffe (how I wish she had won the Olympic medal that eluded her ! But she won everything else)
        Kelly Holmes (perseverance rewarded at last ... and how !)
        Kelly Sotherton (For someone who couldn't throw her javelin over her back fence she wasn't bad at the Heptathlon)
        Christine O ( exchanged a high five with her after her Melbourne victory in 2006. She got even better !)
        Jess Ennis-Hill ( looked "small" beside some of her rivals. But towered over them at the finish)

That'll have to do (though I can't believe I've left Kathy Cook out!)

Alfie, what you have happily done is connected properly with the heading, namely ones favourite athlete which, whilst always related to medals etc, is far from the only consideration, and for some posters not even the main one.
        Rand and Packer absolutely !! ( did i choose Rand, if i did not then, that was silly of me. The excitement of her 1964 performances are very clear in the memory).
        Sadly, great bemedalled British athletes such as CO do not do it for me;e.g. never gave of her best in the relay, giving the strong impression she did not give a toss for such an event..Sally Gunell i chose for her greatness in achievement and i found her great fun to be with on a European meet occasion.
        Dame Mary Peters who high jumped in '72 right below our seats broke her PB 3 times in that event.
        Did anybody select Linford with his Olympic and World titles?; he was not everybodys choice but the thrill of the Stuttgart WC when he beat the rather boastful little American, that was a lovely time, twitting the arrogant Yanks in our Hotel predicting their guy would smash LC.
        Liz McColgans victory watched by me in 1991 in the press seats with the esteemed Eddie K was great but personally i could not bear to watch that metronomic one pace stuff which triumphed then and on many other occasions.

Comment

perhaps my other 4 athletes would be Laura Muir for her eventual triumph which i said would not happen, Denise Lewis, KJT for perseverance and dedication, Lillian Board on a I wonder what basis if she had lived on,

Comment

• carterhatch
            carterhatch commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, philipo, for finishing off your list - which for my future reference is:

Kelly Holmes- my all time fave
            Mary Peters
            Sally Gunnell
            Ennis Hill
            Mary Rand
            Ann Packer
            Laura Muir
            Denise Lewis - surprisingly the first mention
            KJT
            Lillian Board

Fascinating also would be our fave male athletes for another time.

Comment

Getting there ... with philipo's rounding out of his list we have ....

15 - Dame Kelly Holmes
            14 - Jessica Ennis-Hill
            13 –Sally Gunnell
            9 - Christine O, Kathy Cook, KJT
            8 -Jo Pavey, DASHER*
            6 – PSD, Paula Radcliffe
            5 – Dame Mary Peters, Tessa Sanderson, Laura Muir,
            4 –Goldie Sayers, Mary Rand, Lillian Board
            3 – Yvonne Murray, Nicola Sanders, Ann Packer, Liz McColgan,
            2 - Fatima Whitbread, Joyce Smith, Zola Budd, Steph Twell, Christine Boxer, Shirley Strong, Sonia Lannaman
            1 - Judy Oakes, Donna Hartley, Shireen Bailey, Jess Piasecki, Lynne MacDougall, Leslie Watson, Helen Clitheroe, Kirsty Wade, Lynsey Sharp*, Donna Fraser, Lee McConnell, Alyson Dixon, Liz Yelling, Sheila Carey, Verona Elder, Eilidh Doyle*, Keely Hodgkinson*, Kelly Sotherton, Jenny Meadows, Sharon Colyear, Denise Lewis

This makes it 17 submissions plus Drobbie's extra pairs[*]. There are some notable form users yet to provide a list (you know who you are hahaha) and one or two surprises of athletes yet to be mentioned - Asha Hansen, Katharine Merry, Tasha Danvers for example...
            Last edited by carterhatch; 10-11-21, 10:45.

Comment

Trickstat, just a moment of madness on my part!

Comment

Slightly surprised to see PSD so high on the list. A real case of what might have been. Maybe her personality swung a few votes.

I used to play rugby with Shireen Bailey’s brother and have regularly seen her out on the roads leading a local running group. It’s always easy to distinguish the bounce of the trained athlete from the puffers and panters behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Ursus View Post
                  Slightly surprised to see PSD so high on the list. A real case of what might have been. Maybe her personality swung a few votes.

I used to play rugby with Shireen Bailey’s brother and have regularly seen her out on the roads leading a local running group. It’s always easy to distinguish the bounce of the trained athlete from the puffers and panters behind.
                  Certainly correct; whatever she may have done, she basically didnt.!

Comment

Working...
                  X