No announcement yet.

All-time favourite female UK athletes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sally in Barcelona was one of my first ‘big’ moments in athletics. Everyone had been talking about Linford and then bam...I remember trying to hurdle instead of walk everywhere! Kelly Holmes’ whole career was just an epic follow, as was Paula’s - classic British rooting for the nearly-woman. Females are dominating British athletics currently, and in a much more competitive era are holding their own worldwide

Comment

gunnell
      holmes
      kjt
      ennis
      laura muir
      perri shakes drayton
      asher smith
      sharp
      ohurughu
      liz mcolgan

just missing out - doyle, pavey

men
      christie
      black
      jackson
      backley
      darren campbell
      edwards
      rutherford
      farah
      gemili
      mckean

Comment

• carterhatch
        carterhatch commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe that is the first mention for 'Sharp' - I am going to guess Drobbie, you were a little too young to fully embrace the second summer of love (circa 90') .. .Will we ever see Doyle represent Team GB again? Half a point for my gradually growing campaign for a national Pavey appreciation monument.

Dear All

We have had about 9 lists posted (with a couple of men's as well) ... There are more regulars than that - with one or two having commented but provided no lists ... Can I encourage a little daydreaming while we navigate these unprecedented times. I know you are lurking out there!

Are you old enough to remember Verona Elder? Have we overlooked Ashia Hansen? What became of Rebecca Lyne? No mention of Katherine Merry?

Comment

I admit that I am younger than most!

In no particular order:

Dina Asher-Smith
        Perri Shakes-Drayton
        Christine Ohurogu
        Kelly Holmes
        Katarina Johnson-Thompson
        Jessica Ennis-Hill
        Goldie Sayers
        Laura Muir
        Steph Twell
        Paula Radcliffe

Comment

I'm not very good at picking favourites Besides it would probably all be people others have mentioned anyway.

Comment

• carterhatch
            carterhatch commented
            Editing a comment
            I know it's difficult to narrow it down but you make great contributions to this forum, O H, and it would be interesting to know who would appear in any such 'list', Remember All, its an entirely subjective exercise, not based on accolades, but your own trajectory, if you want to include a little known discus thrower from the 70s who threw at your club all the more interesting!

Stay Safe

This is like choosing between your favourite children and I change my mind daily, but today’s list....

Cook
          Sanderson
          Whitbread
          Gunnell
          Radcliffe
          Ohuruogu
          Sayers
          Holmes
          Dasher
          And KJT just edges out JEH because I like a bit of drama with a happy ending. The seat of the pants vs the super efficient.

Thompson, obvs
          Backley
          Hill
          Coe
          Ovett
          Cram
          Elliott. Would have been a superstar in any other generation
          Grindley.....oh, what could have been.
          Jackson
          Edwards

Comment

• carterhatch
            carterhatch commented
            Editing a comment
            oh Ursus, thank you - Yes, the KJT roller-coaster has been full of highs and lows, but what a journey, and with more to come one suspects. Yet the most gifted female British athlete in my lifetime, though if Kathy Cook had long jumped, occasionally hurdled, and thrown the javelin, it would be a close affair

Agree entirely about your comments on Grindley and Elliott. But no Jo Pavey.... hmmm...

KJT
          DAS
          PSD
          Nicola Sanders
          Sally Gunnell
          Kelly Holmes
          Paula Radcliffe
          Donna Fraser
          Goldie Sayers
          Laura Muir

Comment

• carterhatch
            carterhatch commented
            Editing a comment
            thanks Jimbo... is that in no particular order? Goldie Sayers is certainly getting a few mentions in the more recent lists... and Laura Muir is well to the fore. Really pleased to see Donna Fraser in a list, I had given her real consideration, and Nicola Sanders I have stated many times gets my vote for most outstanding UK female indoor performance ... I might do a summary if we get to 30.

• jjimbojames
            jjimbojames commented
            Editing a comment
            In no particular order....getting down to 10 was bad enough!

Radcliffe undermined everything she has ever achieved, for me, with her defence of Salazar and her criticism of WADA last summer. She is a Nike apologist and her husband is involved with Farah, one of the biggest frauds on the world athletics scene (I hesitate to say he coaches Farah - Farah is still very much involved with Salazar and the rebranded NOP) She could also so with releasing those blood values of hers and stop threatening to sue newspapers (the Sunday Times) that want to publish them.

Comment

Hah, I wondered if I might get convicted by the Pavey Police!! She was close.....love her attitude and all she stands for but I wouldn’t have got out of bed in the middle of the night to watch her which was kind of my main criterion.

Edwards and Jackson make my list for their silky smoothness as much as their considerable achievements. Grant and Macey weren’t far off either.

Comment

• carterhatch
              carterhatch commented
              Editing a comment
              No arrest over the Pavey omission - just a friendly word in the shell like I was going to start the male equivalent as a topic - but the demand doesn't seem to be there. Edwards wasn't far outside my top ten, but he gets my vote for the single greatest moment by a British male athlete with his WR jump. Jackson, hmmm, early 90s I met him at an airport flying to Tenerife, I guess they were off to warm weather training, and had a little awestruck moment... but his 'commentating' career has put me right off! Now, Macey , is this another case of what might have been?
              Last edited by carterhatch; 29-04-20, 12:12.

Yet to post my men's list so, in no particular order ...

Daley Thompson
            Steve Jones - a hard man of distance running; split 61:42 at halfway in Chicago 1985 when the WR for the marathon was 2:07:12!
            Dave Moorcroft
            Kris Akabusi
            Jonathan Edwards
            Ron Hill - the only athlete on my lists who I was too young to watch live; As a kid I read his two-part autobiography though, a book that would never get published these days since it was almost exclusively a journal of his training and every race he ever ran (with the very occasional mention of his wife!)
            Seb Coe
            Steve Ovett
            Peter Elliott - agree with Ursus; so glad he justified his '88 OG selection after receiving death threats from hardcore Coe fans
            Steve Cram

I realised after compiling that there's no-one there who has competed in the last 15 years! There's a few from the current era bubbling under though (as well as many 'legends' of earlier times).
            Last edited by LuckySpikes; 29-04-20, 12:53.

Comment

Words of advice accepted

Macey was definitely another what might have been.

Wonder how many Brits would figure in people’s’ global top tens. Would need to give some thought to that but my men’s list would obvs be topped by Zelezny with Moses and Christian Taylor also cemented in.

Comment

• Alanx7
                Alanx7 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thompson for sure.....

In no particular order:
              Paula Radcliffe
              Lee McConnell
              Jo Pavey
              Goldie Sayers
              Jess Ennis-Hill
              Alison Dixon
              KJT
              Steph Twell
              Eilish McColgan
              Liz Yelling

Comment

• carterhatch
                carterhatch commented
                Editing a comment
                Steph Twell has a strong following, first mentions for Liz Yeliing and McConnell I think ... and a certain Jo Pavey gets another thumbs-up (just saying LOL)

From UK women to global men.....

Virtually impossible, but Zelezny and Thompson are the two standouts with the spear god taking gold. They’re followed by, in no particular order:

Ed Moses. Stylish and unbelievable winning streak.

Christian Taylor. Brilliant TJer who can run a mean 400. Always seems to enjoy himself (not always the case) and also appears to be an all round good egg.

Andreas Thorkildsen. London was such a shame, he really could / should have been a triple Olympic champion. Very rhythmical thrower.

Michael Johnson. Dominant in 2 events and proved that unconventional style can work. His Atlanta 200 was one of the sport's wow moments.

Mondo Duplantis - yep, already. Has potential to join Zelezny and Thompson on my all time podium.

Koji Murofushi. Not entirely sure why - maybe because you don’t see many Japanese hammer throwers (apart from his Dad) but I’d always perk up when he was throwing. 4th all time, only non Russian / Belarussian in the top 8.

David Rudisha. Brilliant, but maybe wouldn’t have made my list without London. The most astonishing performance and race I’ve ever seen.

Adam Nelson. Loved his aggression and maybe the smallest 22m man in history.

If I’d have seen him, Emil Zatopek would surely also have been on the list. Fascinating reading about him.

No Bolt. If you’re talking the “best”, he’s right up there, but I didn’t like a lot of the circus that went with him and he also seemed to be going through the motions for the cash in later seasons.

Comment

• carterhatch
                carterhatch commented
                Editing a comment
                if we were talking global male favourite, i would throw some names into the discussion; Sergey Bubka, Alberto Juantorena and Hicham el Guerrouj ... but back to UK All time favourite female athletes...

Just seen Jazmin Sawyers on an advert for Olay.... Not sure where her athletics career will go post Covid.... but when she hangs up her spikes her media career will be stellar...

Comment

In no order

Christine O
                KJT
                Dina
                PSD
                Kelly Holmes
                Tessa Sanderson
                Sally Gunnell
                Kathy Cook
                Sonia Lannaman
                Mary Peters

It was always Tessa Sanderson for me. Question mark over Fatima.

Comment

• carterhatch
                  carterhatch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A list that suggests we might share a very similar trajectory in our athletics journey as a fan - the 'question mark' aside.
              Working...
              X