Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major championships in 2022 ... a bonkers 5 weeks in prospect

The dates have been set for major championships in 2022:

15 - 24 July - World Championships (Eugene)
    27 July - 7 August - Commonwealth Games (athletics dates yet to be decided?)
    15 - 21 August - European Championships

Commonwealths look a bit unfortunately timed there, I know it's a home games but how many top British athletes will want to compete JUST AFTER the WCs? Will UKA even let them?

Will anyone prioritise a chance of a medal at Cw over making up the numbers at WC?

Comment

The commonwealths will be the one to suffer most, it’s a problem for the British athletes, but hey as a home championships you’d expect them to put up with the hardship for the chance to compete in front of adoring fans, the main problem is the number of top African and Caribbean athletes who will be reticent to compete so soon after the focal point of the season.

You have seen with the last two editions of the European championships the top 10 athletes in each event forgoing the first round, maybe they could use the same initiative at the commonwealths

Comment

Yes, the standards at the Commonwealths will surely suffer.

It also presents a problem for the Diamond League. Under normal circumstances they would have a break of 3 weeks or so for major championships, but the scheduling in 2022 presents the possibility that the DL might pause for around 7 weeks.
        Last edited by LuckySpikes; 10-04-20, 16:53.

Comment

My bet is UKA tells most British athletes to forget the Euros unless not selected for one or both of the others. It's going to be a struggle doing the other two, but with the Commonwealths being here I think there will be some pressure on athletes to take part, and the individual home federations will probably be allowed to select who they like.

Comment

once again i dont see why they cant do them all, theres roughly a week between them for rest and the big ones first, obviously it would be difficult for the multi eventers but they could still do 2

Comment

But rounds for each champs - I think it's a big ask, and UK has history limiting athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
                But rounds for each champs - I think it's a big ask, and UK has history limiting athletes.
                realisticly its 8 races over a month

Comment

Adam Gemili says will be difficult to commit to even 2 of the 3 and implies Commonwealths might be his focus as a home games: https://www.metro.news/adam-gemili-i...m-run/1980903/

(Also notes Andy Pozzi and KJT are isolating together for a bit of gossip).

Comment

They’ve been together for a few years now - probably nice for them to spend a bit more time together!

Comment

Originally posted by drobbie View Post

realisticly its 8 races over a month
                      If you are doing 100-800m on the flat it might be 9 races. It isn't just that but it's 9 races where the impact of a poor run is magnified compared with a routine race on 'the circuit' and arguably 6 or 7 races where you'll be wanting to produce a truly world-class performance to progress or place in a position that you are happy with. That's before you consider the travel and the fact that the Worlds are 8 hours ahead of the Commonwealths and 9 ahead of the Euros.

Comment

Bump to get in front of the ludicrous amount of spam.

Comment

Working...
                        X